‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

Fiancé

Yesterday, after our little scene in Beverly Hills, Ryan and I stayed home. There were reporters all over his house and their mansion. Why they weren’t at my house? Well, let’s say, they didn’t know who the mystery girl was. Headlines read: Ryan Dolciani Engaged to Whom?! or Fiancé of the 20 - soon to be 21 year old young millionaire, is unknown.

“When is this gonna die down?!” I groaned out loud.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled as he wrapped his arms around me. We were sitting on the couch, watching the news.

“Not your fault. People just don’t know how to mind their own business,” I mumbled.

“Right,” he chuckled.

“How long do you think this is gonna keep going?” I asked him.

“I don’t know, maybe until I announce who it is,” he chuckled.

“Why don’t you?” I shrugged.

“Because, it’s gonna make your life hell,” he mumbled as he pulled me closer.

“You think of that now? Before you cause a scene in Beverly Hills?” I scoffed.

“Haze,” he sighed.

“I’m just kidding. Don’t fret,” I mumbled as I craned my neck to peck his lips softly.

The doorbell rang, making the both of us snap our heads toward each other. “You get it,” we both said at the same time.

“But if I get up, you have to get up anyways,” Ryan reasoned.

“You’re dumb, but makes sense,” I mumbled and pulled away from his grasp making my way to the door. My brother stormed in with a fury in his eyes. His girlfriend followed after him with an apologetic smile. I bit my lip.

“Hi,” I greeted nervously.

“Where’s that bastard?!” he growled. I looked at him, and was about to point towards the couch but he kept talking. “I left him here with you in hoping to fix things, and he does this?!” he boomed. “I fucking trusted his lying ass, and he’s going to die,” he mumbled. Ah shit, I didn’t think about this. “Are you okay?” he asked me with pity in his eyes. He went over to me and quickly hugged me. “I really trusted him Lyn, I didn’t expect this. I didn’t mean for you to get hurt, I really, honestly didn’t,” he sighed and pulled away.

I was confused. “What?” I asked.

“I didn’t want you to go through the pain all over again. I didn’t want you to hear about him getting engaged Lyn, I’m sorry, but he begged me,” he sighed. I looked at him wide-eyed and was about to bust out laughing.

“Tristan?” Stephanie spoke up.

“Not now, Stephanie,” he mumbled. “I’ll kick his ass for you, even Stephanie would, right Steph?” he asked.

“I don’t this so,” she mumbled.

“What are you-?” he was about to ask, but Stephanie held my hand up. My left hand. Tristan looked at the rock, then my face, and his eyes widened. He opened his mouth, but closed it again. He looked like a goldfish several more times until he looked at me dead in the eye. “You-you’re engaged?” he gasped. I slowly nodded. “Where is he?” he asked. I pointed up the stairs, since he was upstairs in the Fun Room. Tristan grabbed my wrist and started dragging me towards there, in the process telling Stephanie that we kids need scolding and she can come along if she wants. He kissed her- then walked into the room, seeing Ryan comfortably on the couch, leaning on the arm rest of it, and his left foot propped up. “Sit,” he commanded, and I nodded, sitting next to Ryan. He raised his eyebrow at me, and I just bit my lip and scooting closer to him and he wrapped his arms around me.

“I leave for two weeks, and you two are engaged?!” my brother yelled at us. He was pacing in front of us. Stephanie came in after. “Dolciani, I said fix things with her, not ask her to marry you!” my brother groaned exasperatedly.

“Are you mad?” I asked my brother quietly. Stephanie was rubbing his back soothingly.

He looked at me. “I’m not mad. I’m just,” he tried to explain. “I don’t know, it’s a big brother thing,” he frowned. “I mean, my little sister is freaking engaged! Before me!” he frowned. “Nathan is going to flip,” he mumbled. The doorbell rang, and Stephanie went to get it. “It’s just so unbelievable,” he said.

My other brother rushed into the room, and went straight to me, hugging me tightly. “Hazelyn, I heard the news,” he said. “I’m so sorry, where’s that bastard?” he asked half soothingly, half menacingly.

Ryan cleared his throat, making Nate’s head snap towards him, and in a second - he was up in his face, ready to punch him.

“Nathan!” I screeched.

He looked over at me. “This bastard hurt you, and you’re not doing anything?!” he defended

“Nathan, listen,” I sighed running my fingers through my hair. He dropped Ryan on the couch. “Oh shit,” he paused, sitting down on the coffee table in front of us. I looked at him questioningly and I raised an eyebrow. I followed his eyes and saw that he was looking straight at my ring. “I cannot believe I didn’t foresee this,” he mumbled.

Tristan came up behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Me too bro, me too,” he mumbled.

I sat back down on the couch, sitting next to Ryan, and he automatically wrapped an arm around me. “Are you guys serious about this?” Nate asked, looking from me to my fiancé.

I looked up at Ryan and he smiled at me. “Positively sure,” Ryan said confidently.

Nate sighed, and ran both his hands through his now-long hair, letting out a huge sigh. “Wow, my sister is growing up so fast,” he smiled slightly at me. Then he looked confused. “Didn’t you guys break up?” he asked.

“We did, we got back together, and now, this,” I said, biting my lip. Nate just looked at us blankly and stood, walking out of the room.

Ryan looked at me sadly and pulled me over to him. “I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking,” he whispered to me.

“It’s okay,” I smiled at him lightly and kissed his cheek.

“I’m gonna use the bathroom,” he said before kissing my temple, getting up and cautiously walking past Tristan and quickly gave his sister a hug, before rushing out of the room to the bathroom, making me chuckle lightly at how scared he is of my brother and how adorable he gets. I smiled as I thought about how life would be now, since I already had an assurance that he’d be mine forever.

“Why are you smiling like an idiot?” Tristan asked in front of me, his arms crossed.

I sighed. “Nothing,” I lied.

“You’re still a bad liar,” he chuckled and sat next to me. He quickly put his arms around me. “You’re growing up so fast,” he mumbled. “I hope you didn’t,” he said.

I sighed. “Tristan, it’s not like we’re getting married anytime soon, at least I don’t think so,” I assured him.

“Still. You have a ring on your finger. Before I can even get a ring on my girlfriend’s!” he said to me, and I looked over at Stephanie who blushed. The bell rang, and she smiled before exiting the room. He looked at her longingly, before turning his attention back to me. “Hazelyn, are you sure?” he asked me again.

“Yes, I’m sure Tristan. I love Ryan. I can’t even explain why. I wanna kill him but at the same time I wanna kiss him. I wanna argue with him, but at the same time I wanna hug him. I wanna run away from him, but even if I do, I’d keep coming back. I love him T, and I have no fucking clue what I would do without him,” I pleaded for him to understand. “Imagine yourself without Stephanie, that’s how I would feel without Ryan,” I said to him.

He smiled lightly. “That’s exactly what Ryan told me,” he said. I gave him a questioning look. He smirked. “Well, truth is, I just had everyone make fake appointments and busy schedules so Ryan could look after you and make up. But I really didn’t expect him to propose to you,” he said mumbling the last part. “But that’s beside the point. He talked to me, since I was gonna go beat his ass, and he told me that. That he can’t live without you and he loves you,” he smiled lightly. “I just hope you don’t regret this. You’ve helped me make the biggest decisions in my life, and I’ve helped you with yours. But this is something that I can’t help you with. This is totally you and yours only, and if something goes wrong, I can’t take the blame for it,” he said to me.

“I know,” I assured him.

“And I trust that you’re mature enough to make this decision, and I trust you,” he said to me.

I was tearing up and I immediately hugged him. “Thanks T,” I mumbled.

“You’re welcome,” he said hugging me tighter.

Our brother/sister moment got interrupted by the door flying open and a dozen people came busting in, and pushed Tristan away from me, all giving me a hug, and ‘sorrys’.

“Guys!” I shouted after all their chatter. They all looked at me. “What are you talking about?!” I asked them. They all started at once, and started blabbing. “Guys! One at a time!”

Samantha started. “I heard about Ryan’s engagement. We all did and they flew in, and we’re so sorry Lynie,” she pouted and ran over to me and hugged me.

I knew what they were thinking already. I busted out laughing. They all looked at me like I was crazy. Jack leaned over to Kyle “She’s so miserable, that she’s starting to be delusional,” he whispered to him. It wasn’t intentional, but the room was quiet, that I heard it.

I sighed and sat down, looking at them with a smile. I had my left hand under my lap. I was sitting on it and my right hand running through my hair. Let’s see how long they can keep up before they find out. Right on cue, Ryan walked in.

“Whoa, we got a party in here,” he smirked and pushed his way through the crowd. Well, he didn’t have to, because they parted in half. He looked at them weirdly as he made his way to me, putting his arms around me, and looking at their shocked faces. “Is there like, a reunion or something?” he asked with a goofy smile.

“OH fuck no,” Kyle growled and marched over to him, and was about to throw a punch when I wrapped my hand around his fist.

“Kyle,” I whispered. “Please,” I said.

Everyone gasped. I looked at them, and they were all looking at my hand. Kyle was lost at first, but followed their eyes, and saw the ring. Fuck. I was supposed to make them guess! I frowned, and sat down.

“It’s fucking huge,” Meghan said.

“That’s what she said!” Aaron chuckled.

“Shut up, you douche,” she mumbled.

“That is no way to treat you boyfriend,” he mumbled.

“That’s beside the point!” Aaron hissed. “Fuck, you’re engaged!” he almost squealed. Melissa smacked him, and he composed himself.

“Holy fuck, let me see that ring!” Kaleigh charged along with the girls, all pulling me away from Ryan. There were a series of ‘that must’ve cost a fortune’ and ‘it’s beautiful’ and mumblings about when their boyfriends would pop the question.

“So, wait, I’m confused,” Luke said.

“About?” I asked.

“This whole thing,” he said.

“Luke, they got back together and now their engaged,” Jack explained dumbly.

“Ohhh!” Luke flashed a grin and tacked me with a hug. “Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!” he jumped up and down.

“Off my fiancé Mitrani,” Ryan mumbled from the couch. Everyone’s head snapped towards him. “That felt good to say,” he grinned goofily. I rolled my eyes at him,

“So, is there a date?” Kyle asked.

Ryan and I looked at each other, him silently telling me that I should explain. “Not really. I mean, we’re taking this slow. We’ve been together for three years, and it’s just crazy right now. We’re still both young, so we’re not rushing,” I explained. They nodded their heads like bobbleheads.

“Ah fuck, I’m just happy for you,” Scotty smiled at me.

“Finally! Our world’s at peace!” Kyle looked up to the sky kneeling.

Everyone hooted and I smiled over at Ryan, who winked at me. I just melted there a little and smiled. This guy will be the death of me.