‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

Celebrate!

“Is everyone staying here?” I asked after dinner. There was no way that I could fit fourteen other people in this house. Hell no.

“Well, we figured that you’d need us to stay, so we did bring our stuff,” Samantha said.

I shrugged. “Well, let’s go over to the mansion then,” I said.

“Yeah, let’s use ours, since we have that spare house,” Ryan said, resting his head on my shoulder from behind. He had his thumb in the front pockets of my jeans. It tickled when he talked, so I giggled out of nowhere, making everyone stare at me.

“It tickled,” I frowned innocently, leaning back on Ryan who chuckled lightly and kissed my temple.

“So, everyone agree?” he asked They just nodded and we went to grab out essentials from upstairs and everyone piled into the cars they arrived in. “Which car do you want to take?” Ryan asked me. I tapped my chin lightly.

“Would you drive?” I asked him. He rolled his eyes but nodded. “Rover?” I asked hopefully. He nodded and I handed him the keys. He then opened the car door for me, and closed it when I got in. We drove to the mansion in silence, our hands entwined, and the music softly playing in the background.

“Soo,” Ryan trailed off.

“Sooo,” I mocked him and smiled at him. He smiled back.

“How.. do you uhm.. feel?” he asked me nervously.

“About?” I asked. I had an idea about what he was asking, but I didn’t want to embarrass myself.

“This uhm.. whole thing,” he blushed.

“What whole thing?” I asked innocently. He looked at me and rolled his eyes. “What?” I pouted.

He rolled his eyes again. “I’m talking about this whole engagement thing,” he cleared his throat. I grinned at him.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged and looked out the window.

“What do you mean you don’t know?” he asked stiffly. I just shrugged. “Are you doubting us?” he asked me.

“What do you mean doubting?” I asked him, biting my lip.

“You know what I mean Haze, are you sure about this?” he asked seriously, pulling over at the side of the road.

I looked at him, and bit my lip. “Ryan, relax. I’m not doubting anything,” I told him.

“Don’t say that just because you feel bad, I want you to be serious,” he said to me.

“I am serious babe, relax, now can we please get moving before everyone starts to worry?”

He sighed and started driving again. “So, tell me how you feel bout this whole thing then,” he said to me.

“I’m undeniably, uncontrollably happy about this whole thing,” I assured him.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

I squeezed his hand. “Yes, I am sure. I wouldn’t have said yes if I wasn’t. You know me.”

“I just can't get this through my head. You’re like, mine now,” he sighed. I chuckled. “I’m serious, I mean, why would somebody as perfect as you would like somebody like me?” he muttered.

“What are you talking about?”

“I mean, in all seriousness, you’re the definition of perfect, and I’m just … Me,” he sighed.

“Ryan,” I sighed. “We’ve talked about this over and over again, and we both agreed that you and I are both too good for each other, and that we just have to accept the fact that we probably are, but we need each other and nothing can change that,” I said to him. We were parked inside the garage of their mansion already.

“Agh, I love you,” he murmured before leaning over to kiss me. I smiled into the kiss and pulled away.

“I love you too, now let’s go?” I smiled, and opened the door, stepping out and waited for him to come out. He locked the car and made his way over to me, wrapping his arm around me, leading us both down to the mansion.

When we walked in, there were our friends and his parents. Our friends looking nervous and his parents looking mad. My phone started vibrating, and I quickly took it, seeing it was my parents, and I told Ryan to go on ahead.

“Hey mom,” I smiled.

“Hey Hazelyn darling, how are you doing?” she asked worriedly.

“I’m fine, why?” I asked.

“Nothing, I just thought you’d-,” I paused hearing Laura scream.

“What are you saying?! Ryan is engaged?!” his mom screeched.

“Mom?” Ryan cleared his throat.

“You asshole, I raised you better than that!” she screeched. “I cannot believe that you’d suddenly get engaged to an unknown girl,” I heard her voice.

“Hello? Hazelyn?” I heard through my phone.

“Oh, sorry mom. Laura’s throwing a fit,” I said.

“As I was saying. I heard that Ryan was engaged, and I know that you guys were pretty serious, and I thought that you’d get hurt hearing that,” she said to me. “I’m in at the Dolciani mansion, I’m gonna kick that kid’s ass, and your dad’s pretty damn pissed,” she mumbled.

“Oh mother, no it’s okay,” I told her.

“No, he’s gonna get a piece of my- what are you doing outside?” she asked. I looked up and saw my mom staring at me. I smiled at her and waltzed inside the mansion. She hurriedly came after me along with my dad, with confused look on their faces.

“Hazelyn?” Laura asked confused. “What are you- Leslie, Calvin,” she sounded even more confused. “What’s happening here?” she asked.

“I think they’re here to hear, and to find out whom I’m engaged with,” Ryan said confidently.

My mom and my dad walked over next to Ryan’s parents and stared at him. I bit my lip, refraining from laughing. “Well?” Will spoke up.

Ryan walked over to me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me in front of them. “Meet my fiancé,” he grinned sheepishly. Their eyes bugged out of their sockets.

“You’re kidding, right?” my dad blurted.

I looked up at Ryan, whom pulled me closer, and I slowly showed them my left hand. “Not really,” I smiled sheepishly. My mom squealed, Laura followed right after, and they hugged me.

“I knew we would really become family!” my mom squealed. “We’re going to be in-laws soon!” she squealed at Laura and they started acting like teenagers, jumping around. I looked at Ryan, who looked disgusted.

“Uncle Calvin,” Ryan said suddenly, making everyone pause and look at him. “I know I didn’t talk to you about this beforehand. It was just out of nowhere, but I’ll take this opportunity to ask now, I’m asking for your daughter’s hand in marriage,” Ryan said stepping forward. My dad smiled at him.

“Please, Ryan. Even if you didn’t ask, I already expected this, plus, there isn’t another man that I would approve of other than you,” my dad smiled at him. Ryan had a look of relief on his face. “I’d say welcome to the family, but you’ve already been a part of the family,” he grinned and gave Ryan a manhug.

“We have to start planning the engagement party, and after that the wedding!” Laura squealed.

“Mom,” I started. Both looked at me, making us all laugh. “Moms,” I chuckled. “Well, we were thinking the engagement party is okay, but the wedding,” I paused. “We’re still waiting,” I said. They both frowned.

“If that’s what you want, but we can do an engagement party right?” my mom asked hopefully.

“Ask Ryan,” I chuckled. Both moms looked at Ryan hopefully, making his squirm, and bite his lip adorably before nodding. They squealed and exited the room talking about arranging it.

“We got ourselves in deep shit,” Ryan mumbled. I chuckled and nodded, pecking his cheek softly, as everyone ‘awed’, but got disgusted noises from both my brothers and both our dads.

“You’re gonna have to get used to that,” I grinned at all of them.

“Let’s go celebrate! Dinner! Our treat!” Will declared. We all hooted and called for our moms before making our way to our own cars.