‹ Prequel: I Still Remember

Come A Little Closer

ELEVEN

“You think were making a mistake by being here?”

Jared asks me as we sit at the slot machine in the casino of the Ceasars Palace. I don’t really say anything to him as I take a sip of my beer, thinking of how I can blow my money and win more money. I’ve already lost one hundred dollars in a game of poker, so I might as well blow some more of my money by trying to win money.

“Jare,” I begin before slaming the beer bottle down on the counter, “We both agreed we were not going to mention the wedding being called off and your break up.”
“I know, but I just feel bad.”
“Don’t seel bad,” I say, while slurring my words.
“Seel? What did you just say?”
“You heard me you dirty whore.”
“I’m a dirty whore? Okay, you are drunk.”
“And sexy.”
“I wouldn’t go right to that, but we need to get you food, you haven’t ate all day.”
“Okay mom.”
“Don’t mom me you son of a bitch.”

With that, Jared drags me to the restaurant in the hotel and we seat ourselves at a booth. He orders us water as he flips through the menu. All I know is that I’m drunk and can go for more alcohol. Now I know how Lindsy felt when she would get drunk off her ass and we had to take care of her and clean up her mess.

The waitress comes back with water and bread. I grab the basket from her and start shoving down the bread, in hopes it would soak up the alcohol I’ve been drinking since ten this morning. I look at my watch to see some of the numbers on the face go blurry. “Good God,” I begin rocking back and forth. “How long have we been up?”

“We’ve been up since ten, it is now nine at night, do the math Marc.”
“Four hours? Jesus,” I yell.
“Oh my God you are worse than a dog.”
“Dogs can get drunk?”
“Don’t make me call mom to fly out here.”
“You wouldn’t do such a thing.”
“Believe me, I would.”

I take another piece of bread as Jared orders buffalo wings and onion rings before taking a sip of water. I begin to snap back to reality but I am still aware of the fact I have been drinking all day long. It was then I begin to think of what Jared was asking me before he dragged my drunken ass to get food. We had only been here for a good twenty-four hours and I haven’t even heard from Gina. She was dead set on this one. I look up as Jared’s phone goes off. “It’s Eric,” he says before putting the phone to his ear. “Sup Eric?”

“Where the hell are you?” I hear Eric yell as Jared puts the call on speaker.
“Tending to your brothers drunken ass.”
“On a scale of one to Jordan and I getting arrested at my bachelor party, how is he?”
“I’d give him an eight, he hasn’t done anything destructive yet.”
“Was he drinking on an empty stomach?”
“Since ten this morning.”
“Great, watch him like a hawk and do not let him out of your site.”
“Yes sir.”
“Have you heard from the girls?”
“Nope.”
“At least think about your actions, okay?”
“How about when we get back?”
“Tend to Marc right now and call me tomorrow?”
“Deal. Later.”

Jared puts the phone down and throws his head in his hands. I sigh, I think we did make a big mistake from coming here and it doesn’t take a drunken Canadian to figure that one out. “I think you were right.”

“Right about what?” Jared asks me while scanning the menu.
“I think we made a big mistake.”
“I thought we weren’t going to think about it?”
“I seel bad,” I slur on my words while picking up my glass of water.
“You’re drunk, we’ll discuss this tomorrow.”

I hear a piano coming over the sound system of the restraunt. I recognize the song right off the bat. I hit my head on the back of the booth and sigh. “Turn around, every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you never come around,” I begin to sing drunkenly.

“Not now,” Jared murmurs.
“Turn around, every now and then I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears,” I sing louder.
“Marc we are in public and your drunk!”
“Turn around, every now and then I get a little bit nervous that the best of all the years have gone by,” I yell now.
“Don’t make me reach over there,” Jared yells at me.
“Turn around, every now and then I get a little bit terrified and then I see the look in your eyes.”
“Turn around bright eyes, every now and then I fall apart,” Jared joins as people look at our booth.
“Turn around bright eyes, every now and then I fall apart.”
“AND I NEED YOU NOW TONIGHT!”
“AND I NEED YOU MORE THAN EVER!”
“AND IF YOU ONLY HOLD ME TIGHT,” Jared begins as people yell for us to sing louder.
“WE’LL BE HOLDING ON FOREVER!” I yell while getting on my seat, with Jared following my lead.

I had never in my life sung drunkenly in a bar; let a lone to Bonnie Tyler. I guess I was so drunk and the song just happened to fit Jared’s situation and mine, I might as well make the most out of the moment. I saw people clap and take pictures; this was going to get on the Internet in a matter of moments.

“AND WE’LL ONLY BE MAKING IT RIGHT!” Jared yells at the top of his lungs.
“BECAUSE WE’LL NEVER BE WRONG!”
“TOGETHER WE CAN TAKE IT TO THE EDGE OF THE NIGHT, YOUR LOVE IS LIKE A SHADOW ON ME ALL OF THE TIME!”
“ALL OF THE TIME!”
“I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO I’M ALWAYS IN THE DARK!” I begin before Jared cut me off.
“WE’RE LIVING IN A PODWER KEG AND YOUR GIVING ME SPARKS!” Jared ended for me.
“I REALLY NEED YOU TONIGHT! FOREVER IS GONNA START TONIGHT, FOREVER IS GONNA START TONIGHT!” We both yell as people begin yelling.
“Once upon a time I was falling inlove, now I’m only falling apart,” I begin before grabbing the ketchup bottle.
“There’s nothing I can do, a total eclipse of the heart,” Jared ends while grabbing the mustard bottle.
“Once upon a time there was love in my life, now there’s only love in the dark,” I sing into the bottle.
“Nothing I can say, total eclipse of the heart,” Jared sings into his bottle.

The drum banged into the song and Jared began head banging while I had a realization. I did love Gina, and I did not mean to pull a stunt that I pulled the other day when we had our big argument. I look over at Jared, whos having a realization as well. I look at everyone as they clap and yell for us to sing.

“Turn around bright eyes,” Jared sings into the bottle.
“EVERY NOW AND THEN I FALL APART!” I yell at the top of my lungs.
“Turn around bright eyes.”
“Every now and then I fall apart…I STILL LOVE GINA ISABELLA PISANI!”
“AND I STILL LOVE SYDNEY MARIA CARTER!”

We finish the song with a bunch of claps from everyone that was watching. I take a drunken bow and sit back down. I grab another piece of bread as our waitress brings our starters. Jared and I then order burgers when I pull out my cell phone. “Dude, what are you doing?” he asks as I open Gina’s cell phone number.

“Don’t worry about it,” I say as I send a quick text message.
“You really love that crazy Italian, don’t ya?”
“Why don’t you fix your problem?”
“I will tomorrow…I LOVE YOU MARC!”
“Eat your food, okay?”
“Fine you drunk.”
“And by the way Jare….I love you too.”

And with that, we eat a shitton of food and crashed out the minute we got back to our room with the hopes of our lives going back to normal in the morning and one goal…to NEVER sing along to Bonnie Tyler in public again…sober or drunk.