Sequel: A Burden

A Mistake

Ash On My Tomatoes!

Frodo woke up a few hours later to the smell of bacon and smoke. He tried to roll over to see what was going on, but Raina was curled up next to him tightly. Then he noticed the fire, with the three other Hobbits sitting around it eating.

“What are you doing?” Frodo cried, standing up. Raina moved over with a groan, but didn’t wake up.

“Tomatoes, sausages, and nice crispy bacon,” Merry said happily.

“We saved some for you, Mister Frodo,” Sam offered with a full mouth.

“Put it out you fools, put it out!” he cried, stamping the fire out with his bare feet.

“Oh, that’s nice! Ash on my tomatoes!” Pippin said in dismay.

There was a sharp cry from the distance, and the Hobbits all jumped up.

“The Ringwraiths. They’re back!”

The Hobbits picked up their swords, and Merry moved to wake Raina.

“No!” Frodo hissed. “Leave her be, they may not notice her.”

So the Hobbits ran, trying to give themselves a few more moments until the Nazgûl were upon them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raina woke up with a start, as horses nearly rode over her. She covered her mouth instantly, trying to keep her own cry of surprise from spilling out. Trying to hide in the left items, she looked up at the figures riding by. The Nazgûl. But where were the Hobbits? Or Strider?

Of course. They left her, hoping the Ringwraiths would let her live because she was not there to fight. She groaned inwardly, rolling her eyes. Then she waited, until she could barely hear the footsteps of the horses, which was a while. Then she jumped up, following the sound of heavy breathing above her.

By the time she reached the top of the old tower, everyone was gathered around a figure. Raina’s breathing quickened, as she took notice of three Hobbits standing around. There was Sam, Pippin, and… Merry, as his face came into view.

A cry of despair came from her as she pushed her way to Frodo’s body.

“What happened?” she whispered, collapsing next to him, although he did not notice. He was breathing quickly, his eyes glazed over. “What’s wrong with him?” she asked, her voice rising when no one answered.

“He was stabbed by Morgul Blade. This is beyond my skill to heal. He needs Elvish medicine.”

“But we’re six days from Rivendell!” Sam shouted as Strider picked Frodo up easily, and started running down the watchtower.

The Hobbits picked themselves up, and Pippin took another moment to help Raina to her feet, and they ran to catch up with Strider.

“Gandalf…” Frodo moaned.

“Hold on, Frodo,” Raina whispered, clutching his hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's so short... i could choose from ridiculously short to obnoxiously and cringe-worthy long. so since i'm updating fairly regularly, i decided to make 'em short(: