Rois de la Nuit

Dix

I stepped into the room more cautiously than I had the house, my eyes flickering around the dim space catching everything in it so that whatever Angelion was talking about might become clear to me. And it did. It became quickly and painfully clear. I hated what I was seeing. It was impossible and yet somehow this had happened. That also meant that I was going to have a serious problem likely waiting for me within the next couple of days.

“I thought you said that you killed all the women you were with in that village Lexxic,” Angelion’s voice was a cool hiss. “Yet that one lived.”

I rolled my eyes. “I said I killed everyone that I bit,” I corrected. “I never bit Marguerite. I was going to…that first night, but I never did. So clearly, I never killed her.” And what would have happened if I had? It hadn’t changed history had it? Then again, looking at this boy, I had to question that fact now. He was my son alright. I chose a few new choice words in French. And to think I had actually been enjoying tonight.

“We’re going,” I ordered stuffing the item that Angelion had given me into my pocket. That was not leaving my possession again. Especially not with it’s wearer gone for hundreds of years. It belonged to me if it wasn’t in the Earth at her side.

Angelion looked at me sharply. “What do you know that I don’t?” he demanded confused. Explaining would take time. I decided to take a quicker route.

“That’s my huntress, see the problem?” I pulled the picture out and threw it at Angelion even as I was spinning on my heel and sprinting out of the house. I had to get back to my place. If I was right, than I had a son and he was either making his way there or he was already there. I wasn’t entirely sure how I felt about that either. Especially since it was looking like my son was a mass murderer. This could go either way. If he was doing it to feed than I was quite proud, otherwise, my gene pool was screwed.

Image

The only thing that saved my motorcycle from being thrown to the ground in my haste to get into the house was the fact that I absolutely adored it. It was my baby. So what if I might now have a child, that motorcycle meant a whole lot more. My motorcycle was a classic. The way that the engine revved scaring the literal crap out of those little tough kids. The sounds of their sweet girlish screams as they ran down the street and I got to chase them. Those were memories that I had thanks to my baby. There would be no way that I was going to throw it down. Though letting down the kickstand gave Angelion the few seconds he needed to catch up to me.

For some reason, since I had been driving away, Angelion had been driving after me like a madman. It was as if he was wanting to kill me or something. I couldn’t understand why. After all, it wasn’t as if I had done something extremely stupid recently. Don’t ask about the not too recent events. Those might scare you.

I heard him coming up behind me and neatly side-stepped him. Lucky for him, he missed my bike. I might have had to kill him. That would have been a worse offense than keeping me away when Poe died. “What is your problem?” I demanded glaring at him. “Did you not see that picture? We have to have this dealt with now!” I snapped. Sometimes I wondered why we had been born the way that we had.

“Did you not see her?” Angelion demanded. The look on my face clearly said that I had no idea what he was talking about. “The girl! Your huntress,” he spat those last words like a curse. I really didn’t understand Angelion. What could have him so upset? It was just a petty huntress.

“So?” I demanded. “What about her?” Sure she was pretty, but there was nothing that special about her. As a huntress any attraction that might be felt for her was obsolete. That was just a fact. So why Angelion was acting this way was honestly beyond me. It couldn’t be that he knew her could it? If he did I was going to consider what I was going to do to him as punishment. Maybe I could cast-no, that’s just wrong. I’m not a woman.

Angelion growled shaking his head as he grabbed my shoulders. In return, I grabbed his wrists and broke them. It wasn’t like they wouldn’t heal within a matter of hours at most. It probably didn’t help the way that he was feeling towards me however. “Myra!” he snapped. “Or have you forgotten her?”

I could honestly say that yes, yes I had. The name held no familiarity for me whatsoever. I had known a lot of women over my six thousand years of life. Some of them had told me their names, some of them had screamed mine, some had cursed me. Most every one of them had been the same to me. What was so special about this particular name. “Who was she? That heiress I stole from the party?” I asked tilting my head to the side in confusion.

“You know that’s not who!” Angelion snapped. Actually I didn’t. I couldn’t understand why he was so insistent that I clearly knew who this person was. Clearly I didn’t know who it was. If I had known I would have been very sarcastic in my answer. He knew that. This mean the wasn’t thinking rationally (nothing actually new there). “Myra! My wife!”