Status: Completed. :D

And Here's What You Missed on...GLEE

Chapter 20

As I walked into school the next day, I was shockingly calm. If Santana tackled me, then that would be stupid, since I proved that I could beat her in a fight.

I looked around carefully, making sure that she was nowhere near me. When I got to my locker, I sighed and opened it, my ears perked up for any noise.

“That fight…kind of over-the-top,” Kurt announced when he was at my locker.

“I didn’t start it,” I defended.

“Well, I know, but Mr. Schue was not…” Kurt’s eyes widened when they focused on something behind my shoulder.

Slowly, like something out of a suspense movie, I turned to face Santana. Her face was swollen and bruised, which amused me greatly.

Instinctively, I took a step back, almost running over Kurt’s toes. “I’m not here to start anything,” she told me submissively. “I’m actually here to tell you that I’m going to back off.”

“Really?” I didn’t believe her at all, not that it was shocking. After all, when had she proven herself to be the least bit trustworthy?

“Yeah, really. After you left yesterday, Schue told me that if we fought again, or if he even heard of us disagreeing, then we’d both be kicked out of Glee Club.”

That wouldn’t work. If we were both kicked out, then the group wouldn’t have enough kids to compete. So not only would that hurt Santana and me, it would hurt everyone.

“Then we’re going to have to get along,” I expressed with a tight-lipped smile. The idea of Santana and me getting along was about as likely as oil being mixed with water. It just wasn’t physically possible.

She nodded shortly, shooting Kurt a look, before joining the flood of students making their ways to their classes.

“That was probably the weirdest thing that’s ever happened to me,” I mumbled, starting to make my way to Biology.

* * *

“Alright, so I had this idea,” Puck explained as we made our way toward the front exit. “Why don’t I help you babysit?”

I stared at him for a second, questioning if he was serious. “You…near children?”

“You saw me with Gray. He liked me.” And there was the cocky. Oh, God.

“Wrongfully so.” But I ended up sighing. “Alright, but you do have to go to Glee. How am I going to learn what to do for Sectionals if you don’t?”

“Alright, fine,” he smiled. “Want me to drive you home?”

“No, I’ll be fine. Go. Get your butt to Glee.” I grinned at him before turning around and starting my trek toward home.

When I got home, I was greeted with the sound of crying. Not soft, little whimpers. I mean huge, heaving cries that broke my heart.

“STOP IT!” Dad’s voice screamed.

“Dad, give me the child,” I snapped, going into the living room and scooping him up into my arms. “What happened?” Running my finger along a cut that had formed above Grayson’s eye, I turned to my dad in horror.

“He was going along, and he fell. He smacked his head on one of his stupid blocks. Don’t look at me like that. You know I wouldn’t hit a kid.”

“Well, how was I supposed to know? I know that you’ve never liked Grayson.”

“That doesn’t mean I’d hit him! You know what? I’m leaving now. So go take that kid up into your room, and don’t let me see him again.”

I rolled my eyes. Grayson was still crying from a mixture of shock from falling and hearing Dad and me yell. It was heartbreaking to think about how my father clearly hated Gray.

Right when I set Grayson down on the ground, he ran back over and pointed to his head, right at his cut. Smiling slightly, I picked him up and kissed it. “All better?”

He didn’t answer, instead just running over to the TV and pressing the power button. Then, he tried to climb up onto my bed (I had to assist him), and stared at it.

Sooner than I expected, Puck walked into my room. I shot him a confused look when he answered, “Your dad let me in.” My face showed clear disbelief. “Alright, so I picked your lock.”

I let out a burst of laughter. “You’re unbelievable.”

“You bet, babe.”

Grayson’s eyes grew wide as he ran over to Puck. God, I wonder what made him warm up to a stranger who was a guy so quickly.

Puck scooped the toddler into his strong arms and smiled at him. “Hey, Gray. How’s it going?”

“Name,” Grayson demanded.

“Puck,” he answered. “Can you say Puck?” Gray tried to make the word, but he couldn’t for some strange reason. Finally, after Grayson struggling for a few minutes, Puck followed up with, “Can you say Noah?”

“No-ah,” Gray sounded out before grinning and squealing. “No-ah.”

“I hate how I think this kid is cute,” Puck sighed, watching Grayson wiggle his way out of his arms and start running around the room.

“So how was rehearsal?” I changed the subject.

“It was alright. There was talk that you might get a solo…”

“NO WAY!” I exclaimed, jumping up and down. I threw my arms around Puck for a second, then pulled away, realizing what I’d done. Blushing, I continued, “That’s awesome!”

“Yeah. I’m glad I could tell you.”

“No-ah,” Grayson cooed, coming up with a DVD case. Puck crouched down to take it from him, and put everything back in place.

“There you go, kiddo.” Grayson stumbled off again, throwing the DVD back where it belonged.

“I never would have thought you’d be good with kids,” I told Puck in awe.

“I told you I was.”

“Oh, and you never lie?”

He couldn’t answer that one, since he knew that he couldn’t deny it. “So guess who was the first one to realize that you weren’t at rehearsal,” Puck started a new topic.

“Who?”

“Finn.” He cocked an eyebrow suggestively, but I shoved him playfully.

“I’m sure that had nothing to do with anything. Might I remind you that he’s with Rachel? Plus, I’m not into him like that. I like someone else.”

Holy shit. Did that just come out of my mouth? What’s wrong with me? He’s going to figure out that I like him, and it’s going to ruin everything.

Wait, when did I decide that I liked him? That was not conscious. UGH! SHUT UP, BRAIN!


Puck smirked. “So, who do you like then?”

“Eh, it’s a secret,” I played off. “Plus, I’m not sure you know him.” Aha. Play with his mind a little more. That’ll do the trick.

“Oh, alright.” Was that disappointment? No, probably not. “Well, I should probably go.”

“No-ah!” Grayson squealed, running over with his hands up.

“He wants you to pick him up,” I informed him.

Puck nodded, reaching down to pull Grayson close to him. “How’s it goin’, kid?”

Grayson leaned forward and pecked Puck on the cheek. I put my hand over my mouth, trying not to laugh at the shock on Puck’s face and the pure adorable air that was radiating from Gray.

“Aw, isn’t he sweet?” I grinned, pulling Grayson into my arms.

Even Puck, the toughest guy in school (at least, he liked to think so), couldn’t resist the charm of Grayson. “Bye, kiddo,” he said, messing up Gray’s blonde hair. “I’ll see you at school tomorrow?” He looked up at me.

“Yeah, you will. It’s Wednesday tomorrow! Halfway through the week.”

“Can’t wait until the weekend,” he bid before walking out of the room. A minute later, the front door opened and closed.

“Great,” I whispered to Gray. “What did he mean by that?”

“No-ah,” he grinned before trying to get out of my grasp and starting down the stairs.

“No, no. Puck’s gone, sweetie.” I stared out the window and watched as Puck pulled out of the driveway and drove down the street.

And tried to suppress the feeling that I wished he was still there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally, Ellie admits it. :)

By the way, I wanted to update again yesterday to thank you guys for giving me EIGHT STARS! I'm in shock, really. I never, ever thought a story of mine could be so well-liked or so popular, so I really can't thank you guys enough. :D