Status: Well... I'm back. It's been a few years, and my grammar has inproved. Now, it will just take me some time to edit from the beginning. *sigh* -_- Still, I expect to finish book 1 in a month, or two.

You're Not the Only One?

Chapter 2: The Avatar Returns

I maneuvered my ice raft quickly through the arctic waters, towards shore. Once it hit, I stood gazing at Zuko’s ship. I knew I was only leaving for the day, but something felt like good bye, as tears pricked my eyes. I was leaving for the day, but my pack was stuffed with supplies for weeks. I was leaving for the day, but when I hugged Iroh only moments before, we both felt the growing distance.

I shook the thought out of my mind, and began my trudge to the village I spotted the other day. For a while, at least until the ship was out of site, I watched my black fluffy boots sink and rise as I plowed through the snow.

A loud pop echoed through the silence, as I looked up to a fire nation flare. I chuckled and figured one of the guards accidently set one off. As I walked I imagined my father’s life in the village. I wondered how everyone looked, and if it would be everything I hoped it would be. Somehow, it was hard to picture, and every face that came to mind was my fathers. A face I haven’t seen since I was eight.

After working up a sweat under my heavy white cloak I got lazy, and bended my way through. It was a much more time efficient way to travel. I gasped upon arriving, the village looked thrashed and ragged.

“Who are you and what are you doing in our village!” a young man stepped up the village gathering behind him.

“I-I… What happened?”

“The Fire Nation happened! And if you don’t mind we have had enough visitors recently, so move along.”

“Sokka! Be nice she is obviously a traveler,” a young girl stepped up.

“She could be Fire Nation. A spy sent to keep an eye on the village Katara.”

This couldn’t be Zuko… There must be a different fire Nation ship in the area.

“You there,” an old woman stepped forward. “That is a water benders cloak, a rare cloak of power. Where did you get it?”

Is she implying I stole this?! I clenched my fists, and tried not to steam.

“This is my cloak. I am Jewel, a water bender, and my father passed it on to me,” there was skepticism in their eyes, so I cracked a whip of snow and turned it to water.

“A water bender?” Kataras eyes shined bright. “Are you from the Northern water tribe?”

“This is a southern cloak, the white wolf,” the woman pulled me close; I could feel the heat of her breath against my face, as she peered deep in to my eyes.

“Gran-gran what are you doing?” both Katara and Sokka questioned. I took a cautious step back.

“I just came to see what the village was like. I-my father was from the Southern water tribe. His name was Sitka.”

“Where is your father now young lady?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen him since I was 8.”

“From what I remember your father was one of the very first of our tribe to be taken by the Fire Nation. You must be around Sokkas age by now?”

“I’m 16.”

“Well as you can see we don’t have much to offer but we will house you until you’re ready to leave again.”

“Thank you… I could help you out around here to earn my keep,” I used my bending to clear away piles of snow.

“That would be good,” the woman nodded and stepped away, as the village dispersed.

“Hey, while you’re at it maybe you could fix my watch tower.”

“Sokka!” Katara elbowed him.

“What? It needs fixing?”

“Of course, I will.”

“Oh I like her,” he smiled as I began.

I did most of the work to repair the village rather quickly, some said my wall was even stronger than what they had before. Sokka did enjoy my watch tower, but I noticed the towns distance and sadness. I suppose that’s usually what places are like after they have just been attacked.

“Jewel?” Katara questioned, as I wandered around admiring the village.

“Yes?”

“Do you think maybe, you could teach me water bending?”

“I suppose… But I don’t plan on staying long Katara, I have to go soon. And I-well, I don’t really know if I’m a good teacher.”

“I understand, but just maybe you can teach me a few tricks before you leave?”

“I think I can do that Katara. I will,” I smiled faintly at her, and felt my heart tug. How long would I be staying?

“Thanks,” her eyes seemed distant. “Um excuse me, I just need to think for a while.”

“No problem,” I watched her walk off and look out at the ocean deep in thought. I sat on the new wall kicking my feet, as Sokka loaded supplies on to a canoe. Looks like I wasn’t the only one going on journeys around here.

“We have to go after that ship Sokka. Aang saved our tribe now we have to save him.”

“Katara I-“ Sokka tried to respond.

“Why can’t you realize he’s on our side? If we don’t help him no one will!” she continued on.

“Katara I-“

“I know you don’t like Aang, but we owe him and the-“

“Katara!” Sokka shouted. “Are you going to talk all day? Or are you coming with me?” I watched him gesture to the boat.

“Sokka!” Katara gasped excitedly.

“Get in we are going to save your boyfriend.”

“He’s not my-“

“Whatever,” sokka held his hands up defensively. I hopped down from the wall.

“So the Fire Nation took more hostages?” I questioned walking towards them.

“Just one, a boy he’s our friend. Aang was a bender too,” Kataras eyes watered.

“I don’t know if I can do much, but I’ll help,” I offered with a smile.

“Really, you would do that for us?” Sokka questioned. I nodded in return. “Go up against the fire nation, with some random people you just met?” he searched for a catch.

“Well, I do sort of have attachments to this tribe you know.”

“Truuue,” Sokka scratched his chin. “Okay welcome to our mission,” I smiled and nodded adjusting my back pack.

“What do you three think you’re doing?” Gran-gran’s voice reached our ears. Sokka and Katara smiled guiltily, as I avoided eye contact. “You’ll need these, you have a long journey ahead of you,” she handed her grand kids some supplies. “And you,” I looked up at her.

“Me?”

“You, will need this,” she handed me a bracelet with a blue crystal heart. “Your father was much more important to the Southern water tribe than you know. You will have to find out in time. For now this bracelet symbolizes your power, and importance as a member of the Southern Water tribe. It belonged to your father, and those in power before him. Now it belongs to you.”

“Thank you so much,” I wiped away a tear, and hugged her tight admiring my new heirloom. She smiled and backed away.

“It’s been so long since I’ve had hope. But you brought it back to life my little water bender,” she embraced Katara. “And you my brave warrior, be nice to your sister.”

“Yeeaaah ok Gran,” he hugged her quickly.

“You both met Aang for a reason, now your destines are intertwined with his,” she looked between her grandchildren. “And Jewel, I’m sure your coming here is no coincidence. You three are the worlds only chance.”

Worlds only chance? They act like this kid was a prophet or something. Maybe he was just the last powerful bender in their tribe, so he’s very important to their world and function. Or just some old people wisdom mumbo jumbo. I shook myself from the thoughts.

“Theres no way we’re going to catch a Fire Nation ship in a canoe,” Katara waved her arm at the canoe. Just then a grizzly monster came roaring over a snow bank.

“Oh my gosh!” I worked up a big wave of water to lash at the beast.

“Appa!” Katara yelled excitedly. Appa? Must be a water tribe pet or something I let the wave slip away. Katara ran to it and climbed on.

“You just love taking me out of my comfort zone don’t ya?” Sokka sighed. I glanced at him unsure and he shrugged as we both climbed on.

“Go… fly…soar,” Sokka said bored, as we rode through the sea.

“It’s a bison. Bison’s don’t fly,” I looked at them like they were crazy.

“Appa can fly I know he can!” Katara said defiantly. “Please Appa we need your help, Ang needs your help.”

“Up… ascend… elevate…” Sokka continued. I looked between them skeptically, and just stayed quiet I had no clue what water tribe animals could do.

“Sokka doesn’t believe you can fly, but I do Appa. Come on, don’t you wanna save Aang?” she coaxed the beast and it picked up speed.

“What was it that kid said? Yeehaw? Hup-hup? Wahoo? … Uh, yip-yip?” It roared loudly at Sokkas words, and with a mighty splash leaped in to the air. I screamed and held on to both of them tightly, before blushing and letting go.

“Sorry… that was just unexpected,” I rubbed my arm nervously and avoided looking down.

“You did it Sokka!” Katara shouted happily.

“He’s flying! He’s flying Katara he’s actually-“ Sokka looked excited. “I mean uh… Big deal he’s flying,” he tried throwing on a cool composure. As we flew I wondered whose ship had captured their friend. I bet it was a scouting ship abusing their power. I rolled my eyes, then closed them tight as I saw how far up we were.

“Look there he is!” Katara shouted. I peeked down below.

“Oh no,” it is Zukos ship. I didn’t know what to do as I chewed my lip. Zuko I frowned as he battled a bald headed child, with an arrow on his head.

“Appa!” the boy spun a staff blowing away Zukos fire. Blowing? It hit me hard, he’s an air bender… the avatar.I peered down not feeling completely present, as I watched Zukos fluent movements. I realized he was leaving me behind, and that he found the avatar.

“Aang no!” Katara shouted hysterically as he was blasted in to the icy waters below.

“Zuko!” I shouted throwing off my cloak, tears streaming down my cheeks. Shocked wasn’t the word for the look on his face, as I jumped off of Appa. Hidden designs beneath my skin glowed like white fire, as water circled my body and fire encased my hands. I saw what I was doing but it felt like it wasn’t even me doing it. What are these markings?

“Links are soul bound!” I felt the words leave my mouth but that wasn’t my voice. That was like a bunch of voices all at once, each a different female. My arms rose up as if to clap him, and all the crew between my hands. As my hands came rushing together walls of water, and fire closed in on them all. At the last moment I felt myself drain, I felt the power fade and it all slipped away.

“You left me,” I whispered at Zuko my body lying limp. “You left,” I felt the warmth of my tears. Zuko looked up furious, and terrified as Aang swirled a water tornado around him, then released it sending everyone, but me over board.

“Did you see what he just did!” Katara shouted.

“Did you see what she just did?! Now that’s some bending,” Sokka responded as they lowered on to deck.

“Aang are you ok?” Katara held him gently, as Sokka loaded me back on Appa.

“Hey Katara. Hey Sokka, thanks for coming,” he looked up at them lazily.

“Well I couldn’t let you have all the glory,” Sokka tried to lighten the mood.”

“I dropped my staff.”

“I got it,” Sokka went to grab the staff, surprised to see Zuko hanging on the other end. With a few jabs to the head, Zuko let go falling and catching on to the anchor.

“Hah! That’s from the water tribe!” Everyone hurried up on Appa, with Katara having a minor water bending mishap, that froze Sokkas feet to the ship.

“Sokka hurry up!” Katara nagged as he tried to chip ice off his feet glaring back at her.

“I’m just the guy with a boomerang I didn’t ask for all this flying and magic!” Sokka got on, and we ascended in to the sky as Aang blasted away one last fire ball.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

^Markings like those