Status: writers block, not sure where this stories going to go right now.

And I Only Have Eyes For You, But Does She?

so let the memories be good for those who stay

Ruby's POV

Max and I walked back into the kitchen and I ran over to Dan. I ran my fingers up his back then grab his grey hat and placed it on my head. He turned around and I stuck my tongue out at him.

“You know you really suit my hat.” He complimented me and held my gaze.

“Why thank you.” I curtsied at this. I must have looked like a twat but I didn’t care, I usually do anyway. He sat down his knife and pulled me into a hug. His lips brushed mines. I could feel him breathing as he pulled his lips away and kissed my nose instead.

“Tease,” He stuck his tongue out of me but never let go off my body.

“Has anyone seen Chris? And Josh where’s your girl, Danielle?” Max asked from nowhere, but he did have a point.

“I got a phone call from Chris earlier today. I forgot to tell you that he came down with something while going home last night.” Matt said as he entered the room with a plate covered with a plastic cake holder. I saw the rim of purple icing and started to run over to the cake. Letting go of Dan as I did so. I hung over the cake like a hungry child in Africa would look at food.

“Ruby, step away from the cake,” Matt said. I looked up at him with puppy dog eyes. “No, Ruby. Wait till desert.”

I walked back over to Dan, my bottom lip stuck out, and I wrapped my hands around his waist. He kissed the top of my head as I snuggled into his chest. Still upset about having to wait for the cake.

“Max, Danielle isn’t coming tonight. I didn’t invite her.” Josh slightly shouted from the other side of the kitchen.

“Why exactly is she not invited?” Nicole spoke from the silence, with the same look of confusion and happiness that was on my face.

Josh turned to look at her and said. “Well, that is a long story. But I have a shorter version which is that she never seem interested in the dinner when I planned it over the phone with Max. Also it’s a thing that I want only us to do. My band mates and my 3 best friends, who are girls.”

This was a very well detailed reason to why the bitch wasn’t already here. She is probably dying her hair more with bleach. Or trying to get here voice more auto tuned. Or maybe she's trying to explain to her label why her band was shit and she wants to go solo, even though all she can play is guitar really badly and sing really badly. I really wondered to what Josh saw in that girl.

I walked out of the room and began to help Max set his dining room table. This room was only used on special occasions and it’s probably the cleanest room in Max’s house.

There was this awkward silence between me and Max. But I suppose I kind of expected that after what nearly happen outside.

The silence was broke when I heard Max ask me a question with a cute smile on his face. “So how you enjoying being a part of Dan’s life?”

I controlled myself from falling to the floor and just smiled back. “It’s actually quite surprising. I never thought he would be very caring towards me.”

This was true. I never expected it to be like this. As I have never had a caring boyfriend because they treated me like shit and ended up cheating on me. “So how are you and Amber getting along?” I dreaded hearing the answer to this question.

He walked closer to me and whispered slightly. Even though we were about two thick walls away from the kitchen, I guess he just didn’t want to be heard by the others. “Well, too be honest. I think we’re going through a slight rough patch just now. I mean she hasn’t turned up and she doesn’t seem to be answering a lot of my calls.” He looked down at his feet and fidgeted with his hands. I must say that he looked cute for someone who was lost. “I’m worried that there’s someone else.”

I put my hand on his chin and lifted his face up. I pulled him into a hug. Probably at the wrong time because as I did Amber walked through the door. Luckily for me that Max and I are such good friends.

“Hey there guys. Am I interrupting something?” Amber spoke from nowhere.

I let go of Max and whispered to him that I have this covered. “Emm, no. I just helping Max set the table when he got a call from his brother saying that he won’t be able to make it for a visit until the end of month. This hurt Max a lot and he really badly needed a hug. So lucky for him that I was here.”

Max smiled at Amber and walked towards her. He pulled her into a hug and kissed her lips. I basically left for the kitchen and left the two love birds alone.

My nose was hit with the most amazing smell ever. I loved it when Matt cooked the beef on New Year’s Day because he always added this special, secret recipe sauce thing to it. That no one else knew about. But I really wanted to know his secret.

I looked down to see what I was wearing then looked back up to compare it to everyone else’s choice of clothes. Josh was in a red plaid shirt, with a ‘Down but Not Out’ t-shirt underneath; why must he promote his own clothing site to us, and a pair of black skinny jeans. Nicole was wearing a red and black dress that flowed just above her knees with a grey blazer. Matt was wearing a black plaid shirt with a black ‘Cheer up’ t-shirt underneath; why must he also promote his clothing line, and also a pair of skinny jeans. Dan was wearing no top, favorite idea of clothes so far, and a pair of dark blue bootleg jeans. Max was wearing a long sleeved green plaid shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans. Amber was wearing a dark pink dress, with a pair of dark tights and 6 inch heels. She towered over Max, which was extremely weird to see. While I was wearing pajamas bottoms, Dan's blue t-shirt, blue Converse’s and a pair of Max’s grey socks.

Great.

“Guys! Do I have to eat dinner in my pajamas?” I asked everyone pointing down to my clothes.

“Well at least you’re not half naked.” Dan shouted from the corner of the room. “No wait that would be a great idea.”

He winked towards me and blew me a kiss. I caught it in my hands and placed it on my lips, keeping eye contact with him. I slowly removed my hand from my lips.

“Eww. Dudes I don’t want details.” Max said, wrapping his arm around Ambers right hip. “No wait maybe that would be a great idea” Max said with a big grin on his face. Weird, strange boy.

“If you really feel like you’re going to look out of place, then we shall draw a penis on Matt’s head.” Josh spoke from the corner of my eye.

“And how are you going to manage to do that?” Matt asked Josh, while stirring a cheese sauce in a pot.

“Well, we shall wait and see how that will happen.” Josh started to do an evil laugh and placed his fingers together.

                       ........................

Dinner was ready and we all sat the same set as we did last year. Max was at the top of the table as it was his house. To the left was Nicole, because she is part of his family, and then to the right is Amber. Then I sat next to Nicole and Dan next to amber. Josh sits at the bottom of the table and Matt to the right of him. Am not sure to why Josh sits at the bottom.

Starter was nice and so was the lentil soup afterwards which I got to make. I felt so proud.
I cleared the table of the bowls and spoons that everyone used, being followed into the kitchen by Max. I tripped slightly and dropped a few spoons, which Max very kindly picked up and handed me them.

Finally we reached the kitchen.

“Look, Ruby. Thanks for trying to help me earlier.” Max whispered to me from behind my back.

“It’s kind of a shame that she walked in.” I replied turning around to face him. He looked confused.

“Why would that be?” He said with slight confusion in his voice.

I panicked. What was I supposed to reply with, to that question? “Emm... Cause then I could have given you more advice on what you can do.” I smiled and said yes in my head. That was a great comeback.

“True. So are you going to help me serve this beef and veg?” He asked.

I nodded and got enough plates out the cupboard for all of us. They were a square shape and really big which was good since we always serve so much food. I really enjoyed eating food, so I was lucky to have a high metabolism.

I ran through to the dining room and placed one of the plates on everyone place mats. Then I ran back through to the kitchen to get the bowls and plates of vegetables.

I took my seat again as Max placed the meat down in the middle. Everyone dug into the food. I hogged the crispy potatoes because I loved them so much. Josh was the first one to grab the beef and he poured a whole lot of cheese sauce over it and gravy.

Dinner went by so fast with wine filling our stomachs with all the food we ate. Matt cleaned up the dishes and Dan went through to the kitchen to help him to carry the cakes into the dining area.

The first cake was placed on the table it was the purple icing one. I picked it up and I ran all the way up to the third floor and into my secret room that hardly anyone knew about. I closed the door behind me and grabbed a slice of the cake. I placed a slice onto my mouth allowing the sweetness of the icing to melt on my tongue. My head swung round when I heard the door open an there was Dan
♠ ♠ ♠
longer chapter than usual, but i wanted to get the dinner chapter all in one, thanks for reading :)

Chapter Title Credit Mumford and Sons - Winter Winds