Long Live

And you take a moment

"Blue or black?" Mrs. Crosby asked her daughter Emma as she held up two different dresses. Tonight was the annual Sidney Crosby Action Fundraiser. He would get the best hockey players from the league and auction off dates with them. The money he raised from this auction was insane, there were many high profile fans and regular fans at the action.

"Definitely the black." Lauren said walking past her parent's bedroom. She didn't understand why they couldn't go out, they were old enough for this event even if it was a school night.

"Thanks hun." Mrs. Crosby said as she went to go get ready. She didn't enjoy going to this fundraiser since it was all in the name for Emma Hill.

Sidney was at the fundraiser already making sure everything was perfect. Tonight would mark the 20th anniversary of him getting the inspiration to start the action.

It had been a couple of weeks after Sidney's 25 game streak had ended and he got the concussion from the Winter Classic. Him and Emma were spending more time together since Sidney couldn't do anything strenuous and Emma didn't have a job. Emma had made enough money from the hockey world and wise investing.

"I can't handle this Emma, I'm bored out of my mind!" Sidney said pacing back and forth in the living room. He couldn't stand not doing anything physical for this long of a time, he had all this energy built up.

"You'll get used to it, trust me." Emma said without thinking. She stopped flipping through her magazine when she realized what she just let slip.

"What do you mean Em?" Sidney asked staring at his friend. What did she mean when he said you'll get used to it.

Emma didn't know what to do, so she just got up and walked away. She couldn't reveal anything to Sidney, she was doing so well. "Emma, don't you dare walk away!" Sidney asked following his best friend into her room.

"It's nothing." Emma shouted from inside her room. She was curled up in the fetal position on her bed. Sidney opened the door with ease and curled up next to her.

Sidney wasn't sure what he was going to be expecting from Emma, he just held his breath. Sidney could go against the biggest players in the league but finding out that something might be wrong with his friend; he couldn't handle that. Emma could feel the nerves off Sidney, they've been friends for so long that they knew each others emotion.

"I have breast cancer. Thats why I went to Europe, I needed to be in a stress-free environment." Emma whispered turning around to look at her best friend. Sidney had his eyes closed as he tried to process the fact that Emma has cancer.

"What do you mean have? We need to go see a specialist now! I'm gonna get you the best of the best, trust me Emma we're gonna fight it!" Sidney said trying to convince Emma, but Emma knew that he was trying to convince himself more that everything will be okay.

"My body doesn't respond to chemotherapy Sid. I've tried everything that I could possible try and do, nothing works. That's why I went to Europe, the doctor said that maybe the stress free environment would put the cancer into remission. And it worked, the stress free environment really helped me, but my last checkup the cancer is spreading faster than ever. That's why I came back, I'm gonna die." Emma shouted crying.

Emma heard the door slam shut and Sidney race away, she knew he needed a moment to let everything sink in. She spent years being in denial, she was so young and she had cancer it wasn't fair. Emma knew Sidney went to the rink to take his minds off of things. After several hours she heard Sidney come back home, she was still in the same position on the bed.

It was strange though, Sidney didn't smell of sweat or Old Spice the body wash he used. Emma turned her body to meet Sidney's lips. "I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Brown. He's the best New York has to offer, we're going to see him Emma. I'll do anything for you, as long as you promise me that you'll go see him."

"Just promise you won't leave me." Emma muttered to Sidney. Taking a deep breath Sidney gently grabbed Emma's chin to bring her lips to his. It wasn't really said but both knew that they made promises to each other. The kiss was slow, gentle and loving nothing like the kisses they shared as teenagers.

The rest of the night Sidney and Emma just stayed in bed with each other. The television wasn't even on in the room, the only time they moved was to use the bathroom. As they held each other not knowing when Emma's time would be up Sidney realized he loved her. He loved Emma more than he could love anyone else and he was going to lose her. He was going to lose the one person he loved.


"It looks great babe." Mrs. Crosby said standing next to her husband. It was 20 minutes before the start and the final touches were being put together. She was always a little jealous that Sidney would spend so much time planning this event when he didn't even put in a hour of planning their wedding.

Sidney looked at his wife, she was dressed to the nines and he just smiled at her. Secretly sometimes when Sidney looked for his wife, he was hoping he'd find Emma.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for all of the wonderful comments! Please keep the comments coming!
Check out my other stories:
Jonathan Toews
Captain America
Milan Lucic
Brooks Laich