Status: DONE!!!!!!!!!

Murtagh's New Story

Chapter 15: Victim

The elf stood there glaring down at her. His hair was blond, almost white and he had an arrogant air about him. He disliked Icenia and had never made any moves to try to hide it. Still, he had no right to stop them. It was official business between her, Izlandzadí and Oromis.

“Let us pass Rögním”, she tried to say coolly but some of her anger slipped into her voice.

“A human has no business in our court much less in Du Weldenvarden”, he replied coldly.

He gave Murtagh an icy look before turning back to Icenia.

“And you have no business interfering with a Rider’s duties much less two of them” she smirked disdainfully.

Rögním blinked in surprise and look again at Murtagh. Icenia nodded to Murtagh who removed his glove to show his gedwëy ignasia then replaced it. Rögním stiffened and his expression became hard. As if to rub it in Thorn let out an annoyed squeak. The elf glanced at the little dragon with a stony expression. Icenia’s slanted eyebrows rose and fell in a haughty manner as if to say, “do not mess with me or you shall regret it”. He glared at her again and she met it with equal intensity.

“Follow me”, he said with unpleasant resolve as he lowered his eyes.

The little staring match was a test of dominance and they both knew who would win. Icenia was a rider and therefore she out ranked him. He had defied and challenged her when he knew there was no how of success only out of spite. Lowering his eyes meant he submitted to her authority unwillingly.

“Thank you”, she said coolly.
A small disgusted snarl crossed his face before he turned around and escorted them to the
Elvin court.

Is he one of the lords you warned me about?, Murtagh asked warily.

Aye, he’s one of the worst in fact. But do not worry about him or the others. I can deal with them, she told him.

Murtagh chuckled, I’m sure you are more than capable of doing that one way or another.
She let affection and gratitude flow through their connection.

That being said though, you cannot give them any reason to dislike you. A few will take anything they can use against you and wield it mercilessly. Use the etiquette I showed you and always show the upmost respect and brown nose it if you must. Especially to the queen,
it is not the nobles you need to impress, she informed him.

Of course Icenia svit-kona, he said using the word for honoring a female.

She instantly recoiled in disgust letting it flow across their link.

Do not use such sickly sweet words with me! You have it right but save the ass kissing for those who require such pointless formality, she said sharply.

I was making sure I had everything correct, he chuckled.

Well you have it down alright. Yuck!, she replied good-naturedly.

He chuckled again in her mind.

If our luck is with us this shall be short and to the point. I am tired and in no mood to put up
with unnecessary ceremony and bickering, Aquasari commented impatiently.

You have more of a say in that than we do, oh great Bright Scales, Icenia replied.

Aquasari snorted.

If it is not I shall make full use of my authority and settle things then and there my way! They would not dare dispute a dragon, much less the senior for the Riders, she said challengingly.

I hope you do my friend. I hope you do, Icenia replied.

Thorn will be hungry again before too long, Murtagh mused.

Aye. You can use that Aquasari, Icenia suggested.

What ever works, the dragon said shortly.

*The path they were on ended at a net of roots that formed the steps. The door, which swung open on its own, was embedded in a wall of saplings. The hall was made up of many trees, hundreds of branches interlaced to form the honeycombed ceiling. Twelve chairs sat along each wall where the lords and ladies sat. Unlike the previous elves they had bejeweled swords at their hips and circlets upon their brows. A white pavilion was at the head of the assembly. It sheltered a throne of knotted roots where Queen Izlandzadí sat. She was clad in a crimson tunic, with girdle made of braided gold and a velvety cloak that was clasped at the hollow of her neck. A diamond diadem held back her smooth black hair. At her left hand was a curved rod with a chased crosspiece. The white raven Blagden sat on it.

“Wyrda!” the bird called out as soon as it laid eyes on the companions.

It was the word for fate.*

Rögním stopped before his queen and bowed while making the proper honorific gesture.

“Great Queen Izlandzadí. May I present to you Rider Icenia Cigmun, her dragon Aquasari Iron Fang and their companions the new Rider Murtagh Morzansson and his dragon…?” Rögním
paused for a name.

“Thorn, your majesty”, Murtagh said with a reverent tone.

He had stiffened slightly when the elf had called his Morzansson. Icenia saw this had not gone unnoticed by the queen.

“Thank you Lord Rögním. You may be seated”, Izlandzadí said indicating to an empty seat on the left wall.

He bowed again and took his seat.

He bowed again and took his seat.

“Welcome to Ellesméra Murtagh and Thorn. I hope you will excuse Lord Rögním’s intervention. It has been some time since a human has entered our borders”, she said warmly.

“Of course, your Grace”, Murtagh said as he twisted his wrist and placed it over his sternum as Icenia had instructed him.

A flash of pleasure mixed with surprise and amusement glanced across her face.

“Well met Murtagh Morzansson”, the queen said with a pleased tone.

He stiffened slightly again. She had done that on purpose to see his reaction.

“And you also”, he replied respectfully.

“Greetings Icenia and Aquasari. I trust you do not think me rude for addressing your companions first”, Izlandzadí smiled.

Icenia did the proper wrist movement while she bowed.

“Of course My Lady. They were the reason you sent me and they are the new dragon and Rider. I only hope that they will be accepted as any other who would join my ranks be him human or elf”, she replied formally.

Icenia felt Murtagh’s surprise and gratitude at her last statement. Aquasari addressed the queen in a similar manner only adding her wish that this process be as brief as possible and wanting to be back at their home as soon as was possible. Izlandzadí nodded and ordered two chairs to be brought for them. After they had been seated Aquasari lay down behind them with her head above Icenia and Thorn curled up in Murtagh’s lap. His bright eyes took in everything around him.

“I see you have an aversion to the title of Morzansson” the queen noted keenly.

“Yes My Lady. He has caused more pain than any human can understand with the exception of the Rider Brom and myself. I hated that man until the day he died. I wish to leave all associations with that monster and my past behind me. Also I wish to help over through Galbatorix and make sure a proper, functioning government is put in place for humans, one that will be in harmony with the other races. But that aside, yes I wish break off any ties with Morzan”, Murtagh said calmly.

“I understand. It would be beneficial to your welfare to change it. Many elves have suffered at his hand. Come tell me your story and we shall find something more suitable”, Izlandzadí smiled kindly.

“Forgive me your Majesty but surely you are not considering allowing him to stay”, Rögním said quickly arising from his seat.

“Surely Lord Rögním you are not suggesting we banish this Rider and his dragon from Du Weldenvarden to be snatched up by the Empire and forced into serving our enemy. Am I correct my good Rider that it would be possible if not probable?” one of the ladies stood up and said holding her hand out to the elf to pause his reply.

She gave him a kind look. After a moment of surprise he returned it. Then she gave a friendly smile to Icenia.

“Yes, My Lady”, he replied with a nod.

“Of course not Lady Mar'daen…” he started to say after she lowered her hand.

“Then what are you suggesting? Because that is what it sounded like to me”, her mate Däthedr-vor rose up beside her on the right hand side of the hall.

Icenia liked the two of them very much. They were kind to her and most everyone else. The pair always saw the best in people.

“What’s to say that we can trust him? He was raised in Galbatorix’s castle and is the spawn of his most loyal servant. Look who two of the last three human Riders were. Can he really be trusted?” the silver haired Lady Threk’dë said.

She stood by her mate Rögním.

“Enough. We will let him tell his story”, Izlandzadí commanded.

Murtagh had sat through the whole argument looking as tight as a strung bow. His hands had gripped the arms of the chair and he stared at the floor tight lipped. When Izlandzadí broke in he looked up at her.

Icenia’s heart went out to him. It must have been killing him inside. She was furious with Rögním and Threk’dë. Going after her was one thing but going an innocent man because he was her friend was quite another. It was all she could do to stay silent and keep her and Cigmun’s rage under control.

At Izlandzadí’s word the four elves sat down at they all looked at Murtagh with mixed expressions. Some were skeptical and untrusting, a few were kind and reassuring, but most were just expectant. They would make their conclusions after his story.
Murtagh was very uncomfortable under so many eyes. He looked over to Icenia and Aquasari and she could see he was alarmed.

You can do this young one; you are safe, Aquasari encouraged.

It will be fine. They cannot do anything to you now that you are a Rider and under my command. Izlandzadí likes me and trusts my judgment.

Convincing the nobles that you are the victim of fate may help the rest of elves accept and trust you, Icenia coaxed.

She saw him relax a little and felt his appreciation.

Thank you, he said to them.

Murtagh stood up setting Thorn down in his seat. He looked at the queen then at the nobles, meeting their eyes. His chin was up and his shoulders back. He looked like a man who had endured many hardships and either mentally or physically fought his way out of all of them. He looked like a strong warrior. Icenia knew that was exactly what he was.

Taking a deep breath he began.

“A son doesn’t choose his father. When he discovered my mother was pregnant he had her whisked away to his castle. I was born and given to a wet nurse so she could return to my father’s side in Galbatorix’s court. She was allowed to visit me once every few months. I was kept well away from court so the other Foresworn couldn’t use me against Morzan. This was the way I spent the first few years of my life. I saw very little of him but it was still too much for my taste. Once when I was three years of age I ran past him in one of his many drunken rages. He threw his sword at me and laid open my back. Luckily there was a healer nearby who saved me. This was the only thing he ever gave me.”

Murtagh turned around and removed his tunic revealing the long, knotted scar that stretched across his back. Many of the elves, including the queen, let out small gasps. Even Rögním and Threk’dë looked shocked. He put it back on, turned back to his audience and continued.

“Morzan was sent to hunt down Brom shortly after. As you know Brom killed him during this time. My mother disappeared for a time in his absence. When she returned she was thin and sickly. It was not after we got the news of my father’s death when she passed away also. I was then moved to the king’s castle. The only attention he ever paid me was to provide me with my tutors. I kept as far away from the court as I could. The few times I ever came in contact with the nobles I was treated with mistrust and scorn.”

Murtagh looked over at Rögním and Threk’dë as at the last part.

“I was taught to handle a sword by a man named Tornac. Although he was given to me as a servant he was very much a fatherly figure for me. He gave me lessons along with my other tutors. It went like this until I turned 18.
One night I was invited to dine with the king. After the meal he spoke about his dream for Alagaësia. He talked of a prosperous land. The Urgals would be eliminated and the Riders would be restored as a way to help him keep the peace. It’s hard for me to convey this because you have not heard him speak. His voice was smooth and silvery. It could convince a starving man that he had just eaten a whole feast. I was naïve and his vision sound so perfect as to be believable. I didn’t swear an oath but I did agreed to serve him and he was pleased with me. He said he would call upon me when the time was right. I left that night feeling important and not a useless creature to be overlooked for the first time in my life.
The man who summoned me was not the man he had been that night. A group of rebels had captured a city and I was to lead troops there to destroy them. He was in a fit of rage akin to that of Morzan the night he gave me my scar. When I asked what to do with the towns people he screamed they were all traitors and to kill them all, men, women and children alike.
I knew then that he was insane and he could never lead the people into his vision, which was flawed as well. Five days later it was the night before I was to set off with his men but I had other plans. Tornac was to meet me outside of the castle and we would escape”.

A small smile played at the corners of his mouth with his amusement.

“I was peaking around behind a wall while trying to get out of the castle when Icenia crept up behind me. She covered my mouth and whispered she was there to help me escape. I thought either Tornac had sent a friend of his to help me or that this stranger was a rebel spy; if he was the second he could be trusted almost as much as the first. The enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing.
She had the hood of her cloak on so I hadn’t gotten a look at her face. It was only when it fell away at the end of a short fight with some guards did I realize that my savoir was not only an elf but a female as well. Needless to say it took me by surprise”.

He grinned at her and she laughed. His grin caused her to feel like there were butterflies in her stomach.

Thrice damned butterflies, she thought to herself.

Aquasari chuckled.

What is so funny?, asked a little flustered.

I will tell you later, the dragon chuckled.

His face became more serious as he continued.

"We slipped down a trap door and into a tunnel that lead under the castle. It came out in a small building close to the gate. Tornac was waiting for us there and we left. When new turned a corner there were the soldiers we had heard above us in the tunnel guarding the gate. There were about 28 of them and they blocked our only way out. We dispatched of them as quickly as we could since it was apparent that Galbatorix knew of my plan to escape. He obviously was clueless of Icenia else he would have sent out more soldiers. We made it out of the battle practically unscathed.
Our only casualty was after the fight. I had walked over to Tornac to use a piece of cloth he had to clean my sword. Unbeknownst to me there was an archer on the wall and he had seen us. All of the sudden I was shoved roughly aside. I heard the twang of Icenia’s bow as she shot the archer and I knew what had happened. When I looked up it was too late. Tornac had taken the arrow that had been meant for me. He had been the first person I had ever been truly close to and my only friend until Icenia and Aquasari. He died in my arms”.
Icenia could see his pain in his posture and face although he tried to hide it.
“We did not have time to do anything with the body because the king had sent more soldiers after us. So we ran out of the gates and into the forest where Aquasari was waiting for us”, he
finished.

Some of the nobles murmured to each other. Icenia could see the compassion in Izlandzadí’s eyes. Well at least they had secured his acceptance and safety, now all they had to do was escape before things got ugly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back! Sorry about taking so long. I was up in Wyoming for a week. Love it up there!!!! Any who my latest chapter. Very long and mostly Murtagh's story. It's so depressing I just wanna give him a hug!!! Well that and beat the living crap out of Rögním and Threk’dë. I shall think of something very evil to do to them! If you guys have any ideas I'm all ears and I may just use them if they are evil enough so please say them. Things are just going to get more heated in the next chapter. We'll learn why pissing off Icenia is never a good idea.
Big thanks to all my readers and subscribers!
This week's "immortal" list of awesome people
Werewolf.Lycan
autumnfreakshow
XXKillxxJoyXX
Want to be on my "immortal" list of awesome people? Just drop me a comment on how you think I'm doing or any suggestions. It's that simple.
Thanks again to my fantastic readers. You guys rock!
Ice Cat