Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 11

The first two classes of Katie’s day were...okay. Kinda awkward considering that in Potions she and Sirius were paired up. And in Charms, Katie accidentally changed his hair color to a bright, bubblegum pink. And couldn’t change it back. Katie couldn’t remember blushing that dark when Sirius had started laughing at himself.

Currently, she was in Ancient Ruins, but was having such a hard time trying to decipher the ‘writing’ that she just felt like giving up. Which was strange for her because Katie rarely gave up on anything.

“It’s a ‘p’” Remus whispered beside her. Katie blinked, and then vigorously wrote it down. “Katie, do you like Sirius?” he asked, before she could thank him. She froze, taken aback by his abrupt question. Though, she knew she couldn’t lie because Remus was smart.

“Yeah” she sighed, laying down her quill. “I do.”

“So, why don’t you ask him out?” he asked curiously.

“Guys ask girls out, not the other way around” Katie stated. “And what if he says no? Then I’ll look like an idiot.” Katie missed the eye roll.

“Please, Katie” he chuckled. “You won’t look like an idiot.”

“So he will say no” Katie frowned. Remus’ eyes widened.

“What? No, no, he won’t say no” he said quickly. Katie raised an eyebrow at him. “Fine, be stubborn.”

“I will” she shot back, smiling. Remus rolled his eyes as she went back to the assignment.

“Are you going to the Halloween Ball?” Remus asked.

“I wasn’t planning on it. Why?” she asked curiously. Remus shrugged.

“Just curious. But you would go if someone asked you, right?” She nodded. “Kay.”

Katie was confused as he looked at the paper without another word. Shaking her head, she finished the last word and then packed up her stuff. People had been acting weird lately. The guys (minus Sirius) and Natalie had been asking her random questions, and making strange suggestions toward her and Sirius—

Suddenly, as if like magic, it all became clear to Katie. They were trying to set her and Sirius up. Why those sly, sneaky little snakes, Katie thought. Katie wondered why she didn’t see it before. Natalie had a history of setting couples up, and then bam! They were happy and in love. Katie didn’t know if she wanted that with Sirius. What the hell kinda question is that? Of course I want that with Sirius. What am I, stupid? She scolded herself.

No, you’re in love, a tiny little voice said in the back of her mind. Just let Natalie have her fun. If it doesn’t work out, then it wasn’t meant to be. Even Natalie can be wrong.

Katie mentally sighed. Sorry, but I don’t feel like getting my heart broken. Try again in the next millennium.

“Katie? Come on, the bell rang” Remus said, cutting off her inner babble. Katie quickly turned in her work and followed Remus out of the classroom. The walk was silent, which was odd. Remus and Katie always had something to say to each other. Whether it was just small talk about homework, or about something bigger like...something. But now they were silent.

In Transfiguration, they went to their seats (Katie toward the front with Natalie and Remus toward the middle with Peter). Natalie grinned at Katie as she propped her feet up in the seat. “Sorry, Kitty, but James is sitting here today.” Katie blinked.

“Then where do I sit?” Katie demanded. A throat cleared, and Katie turned to see Sirius smiling sheepishly. Katie, glaring at her so-called friend, took her seat in the back with Sirius.

“Sorry, they ganged up together. I couldn’t persuade them” Sirius murmured. Katie nodded, smiling toward him.

“It’s fine. Once Natalie has her mind set on something, there’s no persuading her” Katie stated. Sirius nodded. Taking a deep breath, he prepared himself to ask her, but, just as he was about to open his mouth, Professor McGonagall came in.

“Hello, class” she said stiffly, striding toward the front. The class murmured their hellos back. “Today, we will be learning about Animagi. Now, can anyone tell me what makes an Animagus so special?” Nobody raised their hand. “No one?” Slowly, Katie raised her hand. Katie had read only one book on Animagi, and it hadn’t been all that helpful. “Katie.”

“An Animagus has the ability to change into a single animal without a wand” she answered slowly. Professor McGonagall nodded, a ghost of a smile on her stern face.

“Very good, Miss Scott, 10 points to Gryffindor.” Katie beamed behind her light blush as her fellow Gryffindors grinned at her. “And can you tell me why they only change into one animal?”

“Because the animal reflects their personality, much like the Patronus Charm” Katie answered. Professor McGonagall nodded.

“Another 10 points to Gryffindor” she said. “Now, the reason I am asking all of these questions is because you all are about to do an essay on Animagi. And it is due by next week on Monday. Monday we have some special visitors coming to speak to you all about the dangers of being an Animagus and about the severity of your punishments if any of you choose to become on. Now, turn to page 392 in your books and....”

“Katie” Sirius whispered, making her jump. “I was wondering if—”

“Oi, Padfoot, can I borrow a quill?” James whispered. Sirius gritted his teeth as he fished out a quill and tossed it to his friend. Who dropped it. I swear, when that boy isn’t playing Quidditch, he has the hand-eye coordination of a golf-fish, Sirius thought, rolling his eyes. He then turned back to Katie, only to find her seat empty. Confused, he looked around until he spotted her talking to Professor McGonagall.

She nodded, and then turned back toward Sirius, but instead of sitting, she leaned toward him. Sirius involuntarily held his breath. “I’ll be right back, she wants me to take this to Professor Dumbledore.” He nodded, sighing on the inside.

“Did you ask her?” Remus asked from in front of him. Sirius glared at him.

“You’re sitting right in front of me” Sirius muttered. Remus shrugged.

“Just wanted to hear you say that the great Sirius Black failed to ask a girl out” Remus chuckled.

__________

Katie hadn’t returned to class like she had said. She was gone the whole class time, which made Sirius a bit irritable. He had been planning on asking her to that Halloween Masquerade Ball, but kept getting interrupted by anything and everything. It was like the universe was determined to keep him from asking her out.

When the bell rang, signaling lunch, Sirius gathered up his stuff, and then hers, before he followed his friends out of the classroom.

“Did one of ya’ll get my stuff?” they heard Katie call from down the hall. Sure enough, Katie was running down the hall toward them, cheeks flushed and hair streaming out behind her. Sirius’ heart gave a thump.

“Yeah, Sirius got it” Natalie answered, steadying her blonde friend as she stopped in front of them, breathing heavily.

“What did you need to do?” James asked as Sirius passed on Katie’s stuff to her.

“Can’t exactly say, because honestly, I don’t know. The professors have been sending me on errands all morning” she sighed.

“That’s what you get for being a teacher’s pet” Natalie retorted. Katie glared playfully at the brunette, earning a grin. “Well, I’m off to lunch, ya’ll coming?” Natalie asked, already walking off down the hall. James instantly began following, as well as Remus and Peter, leaving Sirius and Katie alone.

“Come on, let’s go” Katie smiled. Sirius grabbed her arm gently to stop her as she started walking.

“Hold up, Katie. I’ve been trying to ask you something all morning, but I keep getting interrupted” he stated. Katie frowned in confusion, watching as Sirius mustered up the courage to finally ask her. And God help anyone who interrupts me this time, Sirius thought. “Katie” he started slowly.

“Sirius” she mocked, smiling. He smiled back.

“Would you like—”

“Sorry to interrupt, but I’m afraid I’ve lost my way” a voice cut in. Sirius huffed, turning to look at who interrupted. The guy had to be nearly as tall as Sirius, with wide shoulders and toned muscles. He had tanned skin, no doubt from a lot of time in the sun, and short, dirty blonde hair. His eyes were a rather creepy shade of emerald green. Katie, however, was staring as this guy like he was an angel. In her mind, his eyes were a deep, deep emerald green, the color so pure and bright that they sparkled like real emeralds. He also had dimples when he smiled.

“What do you need help with?” Katie found herself asking, her voice a bit breathless. The guy smiled at her, and instantly Sirius felt sharp stabs of jealousy and possessiveness. He did not like how the dude was staring at her one bit.

“Well, you see, I got separated from my brother while we were on our way to the Headmaster’s office, and now I can’t find my way there. These hallways are truly confusing” the guy stated. Both Katie and Sirius noticed that the guy had an Australian accent.

“Down the hall, to the left, up the stairs, to the right, and down that hall until you come to a statue. The password is ‘Pumpkin Pasties’” Sirius managed to grind out through his teeth. The boy raised his eyebrow in a look of confusion.

“I’ll take you” Katie piped up. Sirius felt sure that if he gritted his teeth any harder, they were going to break. He could already taste blood. The jealousy was killing him. He wanted nothing more than to pound that pretty boy’s face into the wall until it was nearly unrecognizable. But most of all, he wanted Katie away from him.

“Why thank you, darlin’” the guy grinned.

“Her name’s Katie, not ‘darlin’” Sirius nearly growled. His venomous tone went unnoticed by both of them.

“Ah, Katie” the boy sighed. “Such a beautiful name, perfect for a beautiful sheila such as yourself.” He winked at her, causing her to giggle girlishly. “The name’s Alpha Centauri, miss.” He picked up her slender hand, and laid a gently kissed on her knuckles, staring up at her with his deep emerald eyes as he bowed. It was official. Sirius hated this ‘Alpha’ bloke with every fiber of his being. He didn’t like his eyes on his Katie, and he sure as bloody hell didn’t want his hands on her. She’s not yours, Sirius, a tiny voice pointed out. “Such a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise” Katie said, biting her lip shyly. It seemed that Katie had forgotten about Sirius, which made his heart hurt.

“So, shall we head to the headmaster’s office?” Alpha asked, extending his arm. Don’t take it, Katie. Please don’t take it. She did.

“Actually, Katie and I were heading to the Great Hall for lunch” Sirius cut in, smirking smugly. She barely even glanced at him as she replied.

“I’ll meet you there, Sirius” she said breathlessly. Sirius could’ve sworn that he felt a piece of his heart break off and fall to his toes. She didn’t even seem to notice that she and Alpha were walking away. But Sirius caught the smug look on that bastard’s face when he looked back at Sirius. Sirius vowed then and there that he would punch that little twit in the face before this school year was over.

~

“So, who was that bloke you were talking too?” Alpha asked.

“Sirius, one of my friends” Katie answered. Alpha’s grin seemed to widen.

“What house are you in again?” he asked, abruptly changing the subject.

“Gryffindor” she answered proudly. He nodded.

“Well, then I do hope I’m in Gryffindor as well” he grinned. Katie blushed under his gaze. “Might I ask you a personal question?” Alpha inquired.

“Depends on what it is” Katie answered with a small frown.

“I know we just met and all, but I was wondering if you had a bloke on your arm at the moment?” he asked with a smiled. Katie frowned, causing him to chuckle lightly. The sound sent shivers down her spine. “Meaning, do you have a boyfriend?”

“Oh” Katie laughed lightly. “No, I don’t” she said. He grinned widely.

“That’s ace, love” he said. “Excellent” he added, catching her confused expression. “So, I’ll see you at the Great Hall, correct?” Katie blinked, realizing that they were standing in front of the gargoyle.

“Yeah” she nodded. Again, (and with charm times a billion) he kissed her knuckles, and then recited the password before stepping onto the staircase.

“Until then, my beautiful Katie” he said gallantly. Katie waited for a moment, trying to gather her thoughts, before she bolted off down the hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
Introducing Alpha: Image
Cute, right?? The dude who portrays him is named Ryan Kwanten. And sorry the pic is so large, i don't know how to make it a link instead.