Reservoir

Picnic.

“John,” she giggled, resting her hand on his shoulders, “You can’t bring Aries on a picnic. She’ll run away.”

He cradled the growing cat in his arms, petting her orange fur and listening to it purr. “Impossible.” He spoke, looking up at her. “Aries would never leave us.”

Tania chuckled again, leaving her boyfriend on the floor with their pet to go leash up the German Shepherd in the backyard. When she came back in with the large dog, closing the sliding glass door, John had risen from his spot, the picnic basket, bag, and cooler in hand. “Ready?” He smirked, turning towards the door after she nodded.

The car ride was quiet, his hand rested on her thigh as they both whispered about the plans that afternoon. They were meeting up with their friends in the park, bringing their pets for another get-together. It was a big picnic, except everyone brought their own food. She loved these events, always complaining afterwards how rarely she actually got to see them and how John should invite them over more.

The walk wasn’t far either. John took Nolan this time as she juggled the basket, cooler, and bag in her arms. They saw the group of people ahead, the collection of dogs running around with each other. Nolan got excited, pulling harder on John’s arm so he bolted ahead.

Tania giggled, walking over to where Kennedy and Emily were, dropping the blanket over the grass and setting the stuff down. She got distracted talking to Em until John brushed his hand across the small of her back, pecking the top of her head, and asking how he could help. She directed him around, pulling food from the cooler and bag, not even approaching the basket.

Once they got wet-up, the two sat, Tania’s attention focusing on the dog on the other side on the blankets, playing with the corgi and Husky. She heard in the though, the small meow. Over and over. At first, she thought she was dreaming it, so used to hearing the kitten whine at home. But when Kennedy glanced over, asking if she heard the sound too, she immediately looked at John with a glare.

“What baby?” She smiled playfully, eating the pasta salad she had prepared for the two. “The salad’s great by the way.”

“Where’s Aries?” She asked immediately, pushing away his hand when he went to slide it across his thigh.

John only shrugged, looking down at the small container full of pasta that he was enjoying. The meow-ing grew louder, capturing the attention of Emily too then. Tania sat up, glancing into the cooler and bag, checking for the kitten. When both turned up empty, she went to the basket, lifting one on the flaps and the orange kitten immediately crawling out and into her laps.

“Oh my god, no Tania. Don’t let her out, you know how Nut gets around cats.” He grabbed the kitten from her lap and pet it once before setting it carefully into the basket, closing the lid and leaning closer to her.

After shooting him another glare, she set her food down. “I thought I said ‘no Aries’, baby?”

“You did.” He replied sheepishly, leaning down to capture her lips, which she rejected and he hit her cheek instead. “But I didn’t want her to have to stay home all by herself, even Nolan was coming.”

John tried kissing her again, this time holding her jaw still as he pressed them together. Tania sighed, kissing him back gently, running her hand over the jean of his thigh as he curled his arm around her shoulder and neck, keeping her close.

“You remember back when John hated cats?” They heard Kennedy giggle, talking to his wife with the intention of them hearing. “He was always complaining about how stupid they were and how mean they were. Now look at him.”

John broke away quickly, flipping off his friend before opening the flap and petting the kitten again. “I still hate cats.” He muttered, ripping a piece of ham from his sandwich and offering in to the kitten. “But Aries is my girl, I love her no matter what.”
♠ ♠ ♠
John's a sucker for his kitten. It makes me giggle.
January 24, 2011.