Reservoir

Coming Home.

She got the text message earlier that day. She took off work early. She cleaned the house and made a quick dinner. Her homework was completed before she climbed back in the car. They were supposed to arrive at the lot at 7 and it was approaching 7:15 before she saw the bus’s headlights. The whole gang was here, car’s parked in their typical spots. Emily and Peanut on one side and Melanie waiting on the other. Tania leaned against the hood, talking to them as they all waited for the bus to pull in and their boyfriends to come out of the bus.

Tania couldn’t bite back the smile when John was the first to step down from the bus. Squealing, she threw the leash at Emily and ran to John, immediately jumping into his open arms. He immediately pressed a kiss to her lips, both smiling and holding the other tighter than normal. John was gone for 3 months, getting only three, two day visits home before this. Every time, it felt too short before he left again, back to touring. Now, he was home for awhile and they were both ready to have a normal relationship again.

They didn’t leave until everyone was unpacked from the bus. They stood by and watched the rest of the guys hug their significant others. They both smiled when they saw Emily completely jump into Kennedy’s exhausted arms, Kennedy almost dropping her, and when Melanie dragged a very crabby Garrett to the car for some “cheer-up” time.

“Ready?” John whispered to her, holding the German Shepherd leach, and hugging her for the dozenth time.

Nodding, Tania twisted around in his arms. “You wanna drive?”

He didn’t answer, his lips dropping to her neck, kissing behind her ear and inhaling her scent. Tania held onto him as his lips skimmed down the slope of her neck, kissing spots he liked. She listened to his breathing, relief filling her knowing she didn’t have to try and memorize anything about him then. He was home to kiss and hug, to rub away her daily stresses, and to help her juggle her hectic life. It was the nicest feeling ever.

John grabbed the keys from the hood of the car where she held them. He let go first, kissing her temple and mumbling an “I love you” into her hair. Letting go, he walked to the drivers’ seat, waving goodbye to the few people still here. Tania climbed in too, watching Tim lock the bus and head to his car.

They drove in silence, John’s hand linked with hers across the dash. Death Cab for Cutie filled the calm silence. Tania watched him, scanning over his face to check for changes. His hair was still short, his strong jaw still slack, a little scruff growing on the bottom his chin. John hadn’t changed. Tour didn’t make him different, relieving her more. It was always her concern, that sending him on the road would make him a different guy. But after every tour, she’d always do the same thing. He’d drive, wanting to adjusted back into his life, and she watch him drive, making sure he was the same John.

She could see him sigh when they pulled into the driveway. “Home.” John breathed out, pulling the keys from the ignition. “I’ve missed home.” He twisted in the seat, leaning across the center console to her face. “But mostly, I’ve missed you.”Before she could reply, John pressed another kiss to her lips, cupping her jaw with him palms. “So fucking much.” He breathed between kisses.

He climbed from the car before she could kiss him back, opening the backdoor for the shepherd to jump out. Tania followed him up the front walkway and onto the porch. The dog ran in the door first hen he clicked it unlocked and pushing it open. The kitten’s meow filled the space, running towards her master. A large grin climbed over his lips, lifting the kitten from the floor and rubbing its neck. Tania pushed past, pecking John’s cheek while he talked to the cat, pushing the door shut.

The kitchen was clean. Tania pulled the noodles from the pantry and pots from the drawer. Home was always weird when he first arrived. They both had to learn how to live together again. John had to readjust to her normal, not-touring schedule. They ate dinner before 9 and she left for work or school before 10. Tania had to remember how to share the closet again, how to let John help her, and how to share the sheets on the bed. It’d take a few days before the awkwardness wore away.

When she went to fill the pan with water, she felt his arms coil around her waist. John pressed another light kiss to her neck, smiling into her skin. “I gotta make you dinner, baby.” She tried brushing him off but he held her there, kissing her again. Anytime she’d try to slip away or speak, he’d do it again, smirking when he’d hear her sigh.

“John.” She whined.

Not answering, he began tugging on her gently, moving towards their bedroom door. “Turn off the stove.” He whispered when they stepped toward it. “You’re better than food.”

Tania giggled, reaching for the knob and twisting it so the element turned off. “Is t-that a critique of my food, John?”

His head dropped into her neck, pressing a fresh series of kisses to her skin to make her sink again. “Your cooking?” He breathed out, kissing the base of her neck and her shoulder. “Delicious.” He spoke low, kissing into her collar bone. “But you?” He came back up to her ear, “You’re better than any food.”

And again, before any words could fall from the staggering breath, he was pulling her into their bedroom, twisting her around and pressing a rough kiss to her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
You get the same thing. Do Kennedy coming home from tour. You can go from what I established here or something completely different.
February 7, 2011.