Hold on Tight and Don't Look Back

Three.

Frank, Ray, Mikey, and Gerard walked off the stage smiling and laughing, I was half expecting them to say it was nice to meet me, tell me it was time for them to leave, and to be sent on my merry way. I was wrong.

“We’re gonna hang out for a while, I think you should join us,” Mikey smiled at me. “The rest of the guys agree, too.”

The end of that statement definitely made me feel a little more comfortable taking Mikey up on his offer, after all, I’d hate to be the third wheel in all their fun.

Seeing as I’m all of five foot two, I legitimately had to look up at him to respond.

“Sure, I’d love to join in.”

“Awesome,” Mikey was beaming with overwhelming happiness.

I guess he really wants me to hang out with them, I thought to myself, and then everything started to go black.

My legs seemed to give out from under me, and I fell to the ground. I could still faintly hear what was going on, but I couldn’t see. I heard a loud thump, and felt a hand close over mine.

“Gerard, what’s happening?” I could tell it was Mikey from the sound of his voice.

“I don’t know, kid, hold on.”

“Oh my God, oh my God, this is so bad. Is she okay? What’s going on, what are we going to do? We need to go to the hospital!” Frank was freaking out, and I could hear Ray telling him they’d go outside so he could calm down.

“The bracelet!” Gerard seemed to have figured it out, “The bracelet. She’s diabetic, dude. She’s having a spell. Toss me the bag.”

I could feel Mikey remove my bag from my shoulder to give it to Gerard. After some fumbling around it was clear Gerard had found my emergency kit. I could hear him open the instructions, and grab the shot. It was clear from the sound of his breathing the thought of having to stab me in the thigh with a needle was making him a little apprehensive. Something must have made him go through with the act, because the next thing I knew I was being stabbed with that giant needle I had hoped to never need. I could feel someone lift me up and it was clear I was being carried.

Next thing I knew I was on the couch, and I could hear the guys having a discussion on the other side of the room. The shot must have kicked in right about then, because I sat up and everything because a hundred times clearer.

“She’s up!” Mikey seemed ecstatic and rushed over to sit on the couch.

“Hey, what happened?”

“You passed out. I guess your sugar was low,” Mikey said.

“Oh, wow. I’m so sorry for all the trouble guys. I just got diagnosed a few weeks back and I’m still learning all the ropes to handling this. Thank you, though, you saved my life,” I really did feel bad. I can’t even believe that just happened. What a burden that must have been for them.

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it. I’m just happy you’re okay,” Mikey patted my hand and smiled at me.

“Yeah, dude. I was worried back there. Aside from my fear of needles, it’s all okay. I’m just glad we figured out what happened,” Gerard laughed.

Frank and Ray came back in from outside, I guess Frank had had enough time to chill out a little

“Thanks for leaving me to do the dirty work, guys,” Gerard was smiling; it was obvious he was only messing with them. I don’t think Frank would have been much help anyways.
Gerard motioned towards Frank and they both walked down the long hallway adjacent to the room. I’m not sure where that hallway goes, or what’s back there, but it’s none of my business anyways.

“Sorry about Frank, he doesn’t take well to unexpected minor emergencies,” Ray said.

“It’s okay, I completely understand. When someone you just met passes out and you don’t know why, that can be scary,” I laughed.

“You’ve had that happen before?” Ray seemed slightly amazed that I might have been through that.

“Oh, gosh no, I was just assuming, you know, from what just happened,” I laughed.
Ray smiled and Gerard and Frank came back into the room holding a giant box with a bow on it.

“This is for you, for your birthday, from all of us,” Gerard smiled as he handed me the box.

“You guys really didn’t have to do that,” I said.

“We wanted to. We knew your birthday had just passed, and we wanted to make it really special for you,” Frank said.

“Open it, open it!” Mikey couldn’t wait to see me open the present.

I don’t know what’s in this box, but it has to be amazing, this box is huge. I don’t even have a guess as to what could be in here. I start to undo the bow and rip off the paper. I open the box with some help from Mikey and find a hand drawn picture of the Eiffel Tower and New York City from Gerard. Those are my two favorite places on this Earth, how did he even know that? I guess Jenna told him. That’s kind of awkward, I don’t know if I’m comfortable with them knowing all this about me. I guess it could be worse, at least it’s not so awkward talking to them. I pull out three pictures of the band, all hand signed, and all non-professional, personal photos. I think my favorite is the one where they’re holding the “Happy Birthday Lexi” sign. It’s actually really cute. I look down and find another box stuffed inside the original one. I pull it out and open it to find a record player. I’ve always wanted a record player, and I’m guessing Jenna told them about that, too. Just when I though this present couldn’t get any better, I pull out a stack of records. Iron Maiden, Black Flag, even the latest My Chem record all on vinyl. Holy shit. This is the best present ever. I could feel the smile on my face growing larger, and my complexion growing redder.

“You guys..I really do not have words to tell you how amazing this present is. Oh my God..”

“That was the reaction we were going for,” Gerard was grinning as he walked over and gave me a hug. “Happy 18th birthday to a super rad new friend.”

“I picked out the record player. I thought you’d like it,” it was obvious Mikey prided himself on this little fact.

“We have another surprise for you,” Frank said excitedly. “Who wants to tell her?”