‹ Prequel: An Unbreakable Bond
Sequel: To Be Strong

Beautiful Remains

Dean

I held onto Chase as if it were the last time I ever would. I knew he was having such a hard time with Quintin being gone. They were close; I couldn't imagine losing Will or Geoff. Just thinking about it brought tears to my eyes.

As we stood there, the sounds of the forest were not audible. I heard the hoot of an owl, and looked up to see a familiar figure on a branch. I smiled and the swooped down, landing gracefully on my shoulder.

Chase looked up, and his eyes smiled just a littlest bit. "Specs?" he whispered, causing the owl to hoot softly and open his wing. Chase pet him softly, causing the owl to look at him cautiously. "I know it's been a while."

"Meet us back at the house, Specs," I said, causing the bird to fly up into the night sky and soar in the direction of the house.

Time Elapse

Everyone but Geoff and Will were asleep, and they both were staring at Specs with awe. "Dude! This owl just flew in through the open window and landed here as if he owned the place!" Will exclaimed, causing me to laugh.

I looked over at Chase. "It's been a long day, love. Go get some rest, I'll be up there within the hour." Chase nodded, and pet Specs one last time, causing Will do look more shocked than ever. When Chase was upstairs, I said, "Don't tell me you don't remember him?" Will looked at me like I lost it, then a look of understanding.

"This can't be the same one you helped out so long ago!" he said, reaching for Specs, who then snapped at him. "It's him alright. He never did like me much!" Geoff and I let out a small chuckle and sighed.

"Tomorrow, there is a song I want all of us to sing ... to you and Chase, Will," I said, looking at the Australian man who was one of my greatest friends.

He nodded, never taking his eyes off of Specs for a second. I rolled my eyes and grabbed three beers before heading over to the couch and joining my two greatest friends.

Time Elapse

I awoke the next morning and headed downstairs. Everyone was doing something, but my eyes were locked on Chase, who was cleaning the house for the upteenth time. I sighed and grabbed the guitar, then whistled my famous high-pitched whistle.

Soon everyone was outside by the pool. Everyone knew the plan, aside from Chase. "Chase, Will, I've talked with everyone and we've come to an agreement that you need to know something, and we're going to tell you -- through a song," I said, lightly bumping Chase, who smiled weakly, although it didn't reach his eyes.

I started strumming, and everyone started swaying. After a few moments, everyone aside from Chase and Will started singing.

"Sometimes in our lives
We all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tommorow

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

Please swallow your pride
If I have things you need to borrow
For no one can fill those of your needs
That you won't let show

You just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand
We all need somebody to lean on

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

You just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand
We all need somebody to lean on."


As we sung, I saw Will and Chase stand up and start dancing, making everyone smile. It was good to see smiles on their faces that actually reached their eyes. Everyone aside from myself got up and joined them, never ceasing the song.

Angel then ran inside the house and was back out quickly, a camera in his hand. He set it up on the fence and everyone looked toward it. It clicked and everyone laughed, but I knew everyone wished that Quintin was here still. I know I still did.