One

Three

The next morning, I awoke with a feeling that I hadn't felt in a while. I couldn't put my finger on it but it was something new and extraordinary. It took me a while until I remembered last nights events. I smiled to myself and almost laughed out loud. Of course, there was nothing funny about any of it. It just made made me buzz. I turned around, still smiling to myself and picked up my phone.

At mid-day, I was sitting with him once more. This time we were sitting on a bench awaiting his friends. I wondered if he'd changed around them ; if he'd remove his arm from where it was now and act all "cool" . I waited.
His friends arrived and as I expected, he did move his arm. We all sat on the bench for a while, discussing anything that came to mind. Of course, they were all boys - so the topic of girls was a regular. They were discussing ways of charming girls and to my surprise, I felt his fingers link with mine. He raised our hands up to show his friends. I studied his face trying to quickly figure out what he was doing. While holding my hand, he explained to his friends that this was a romantic way of holding hands. When he lowered our hands back down to the bench, they remained intwined. I could not work out whether this was intentional or he had simply forgotten they were still linked. Either way, it wasn't bothering me.

We all sat together for hours, discussing every little detail of our existence until our maturity escaped us and a game of "hide & seek" was suggested. The bench we had sat on was situated directly outside the local cemetery, so that is where we agreed to play. I began to run and every so often he would tackle me to the ground, before laughing and returning to the game. I ran away from the group into an open space , in the direct line of the sun. I stood, breathing deeply and feeling the warmth on my skin, taking in every moment of this bliss, hoping it would last longer than I knew it would. I soon heard the familiar fast footsteps before being tackled to the ground. This time , he didn't stand up and neither did I.

We lay there, surrounded by grave stones , for a few moments. The grass beneath us was warm and the cool breeze was softly blowing my hair. I felt his hand link with mine as it had earlier. It was silent for a while. He turned his head to face me and I did the same. Our faces were touching.

"Promise me something..." he said . I nodded swiftly, not sure what was coming next .
"Promise me that we'll get buried together.." he said softly. I could feel his breath on my face and his eyes were burning through mine.
"Okay" was all I could stutter. This was the most incredible feeling in the world. I never wanted it to stop.

A few minutes later, we heard our names being called by the others. We slowly got up and walked over silently to where the voices were coming from. We all gathered at the benches and the discussions commenced once more. I watched him speak and laugh with his friends. I couldn't take my eyes off him. We were sitting next to each other but that wasn't close enough. Every so often he would turn around to meet my gaze . He would smile at me or laugh, as if to reassure me that he still knew I was there . I wasn't even sure I was there. I was brought quickly out of my thoughts by the mention of a familiar name. Someone had mentioned my best friend. I looked back to my the boy next to me and smiled. But what he said next surprised me. He made a joke at my best friends expense and laughed with his friends. He then turned to look at me. His pupils scanned my face, trying to pick up my reaction. I didn't say a word. I slowly rose from the bench and walked through the cemetery gates.

I walked for a few minutes by myself, with my music booming in my ears. I was so angry. All of a sudden , I could hear running footsteps from behind me. I started to panic. I had come to far for them to all have followed me. I didn't turn around. I felt hands on my hips and I was pulled backwards into a body. By the way my body reacted, I could tell it was his. I was still facing in the opposite direction from his face as he slowly moved his arms around me, pulling me close against him. My anger wavered.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered in my ear. I didn't reply.
"I'm sorry.." he repeated. I stopped walking and put my hands where his were on my stomach. He put his chin on my shoulder and breathed into my neck. I closed my eyes.
We stood still like this for a few minutes. He then moved his hands to my hips and turned me to face him. I looked at the cobbled pathway as my breathing quickened. One look into his eyes and I would be pushed over the edge. He pulled me closer to him and said

" I'm so sorry , I love you," and if it weren't for his hands on my hips, I would have fallen to the floor.