Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active. Working on an update.

She's the Drug That I Need

Chapter 12

Turning the key in the door, Sarah giggled as she felt herself being picked up, her legs being lifted from the ground. “We’re going to do this properly.” Seth murmured in her ear as he kicked the door open and stepped over the threshold to the sound of the security alarm.

“Okay, you can put me down now.” she giggled as he tried to switch the alarm off while still keeping hold of her.

He set her down and turned off the alarm, turning back to get the luggage out of the car while she made her way up the stairs, her hand luggage in her hand. She made her way into the bathroom, setting her bag down on the counter before walking over to the shower cubical and turning on the water. After an eleven hour flight all she wanted to do was have a shower and then head down to Huntington to get Jenni. A whole week with only speaking to her daughter briefly over the phone and she was itching to see her, to hold her.

She stripped out of her clothes and stepped into the shower, relief washing over her body as her tired muscles began to relax. Feeling refreshed, she stepped back out of the shower, grabbing one of the large towels off the rail and wrapping it around her body, grabbing another smaller one for her hair.

She walked back over to the counter, wiping the steamed over mirror to take a look at her appearance. She sighed and started searching through her hand luggage for her make up bag just as Seth stepped into the bathroom.

As she began to empty the contents of her make-up bag in search of her moisturiser, Seth stepped up behind her, his arms snaking around her waist, his lips finding her bare shoulder. “Fancy another shower?” he muttered as he tried to tease the towel away from her body.

“Didn’t you get enough in Fiji?” she asked as she finally found what she was looking for, spotting the small pack of pills that had fallen out onto the counter in the process.

“I could never get enough of you babe.” He replied laying kisses on her neck as she picked up the strip of pills, popping one out from the foil and slipping it into her mouth.

“I thought you were going to stop taking those?” Seth asked lifting his head.

“I will, I just want to get to the end of the pack first.” She replied smiling at him though the mirror. “No, as tempted as I am to stay, I’m going to get dressed so I can go pick up Jenni.”

Seth pouted, tightening his grip around her waist, pulling her back closer to his chest, “Can’t you leave that for one more night, I’m sure Brian would happily bring her back in the morning.”

“Babe no, I want to go and see her now.” she began pulling away from him. “I’ve been away from her for over a week. I’ve missed her so much.”

“Fine.” Seth muttered quietly, quickly stripping and stepping into the shower.

Sarah growled and turned back to the mirror, applying some moisturiser and a small amount of make-up before running a comb through her damp hair and tying it back.

“I’ll be back soon.” she called loudly to Seth who was still in the shower before leaving, grabbing her car keys on her way out.

“I’m on my way to pick Jenni up. Okay?” she messaged Brian as she got into the car.

“That’s fine, see you soon.” he replied, a smile on her face as she backed out of the driveway.

Slipping her sunglasses over her eyes, she turned up the radio, smiling as she thought about seeing her daughter again. But then her smile faltered slightly at the thought of seeing Brian again. She needed to talk to him about what had happened in Vegas and the morning of the wedding. She needed to apologise for leading him on, for giving him false hope. She needed to make sure that he wasn’t going to cause problems for her and Seth now that they were married. When she had seen him at the church she had feared the worst. She thought for sure that he was going to stand up and tell the whole church what they had done, tell everyone that he loved her.

She had been so relieved when he hadn’t said anything but she hadn’t had the chance to talk to him alone.

As she continued to drive towards Huntington, she ran through what she needed to say to Brian in her mind. it wasn’t long before she found herself turning down the street where Brian lived, slowing as she approached his house.

Parking the car on his driveway, she quickly made her way up to the front door and knocked rhythmically, excitement coursing through her veins.

“Where is she?” she asked excitedly, pushing past Brian as he opened the door.

“She’s still napping, she should be up soon though.” He said quietly as he shut the door behind her.

“Oh.” She said, her lips sliding into a pout as she turned back to face him.

“Sorry, she’s been down for almost two hours, so she should be awake soon.” he replied with a small smile.

She sighed and nodded, glancing around the hallway not sure what to do now.

“Soda?” he asked stepping past her to walk towards the kitchen.

“Please.” She replied turning to follow him.

“Good trip?” he asked passing her a bottle of Sprite from the refrigerator.

“It was amazing yeah.” She replied with a beaming smile, “Although I missed Jenni like crazy.”

“She missed you too.” he replied with a gentle smile.

“Yeah? I’m surprised she really noticed I was gone. Bet she had the time of her life being here, getting spoilt by everyone for the entire week.” She replied taking a seat at one of the breakfast stools sat next to the counter.

“Of course she missed you. She loves you. You’re her mommy.” Brian replied quietly.

She nodded and took a sip of her drink, noticing him doing the same. Pulling the bottle away from her lips, she swallowed and took a quick breath. “Listen Brian, I need to um, well I need to apologise.”

“You have nothing to apologise for.” He replied quietly with a small smile gracing his thin lips.

“Yes I do. I led you on. I should never have slept with you in Vegas and certainly not before the wedding. Especially knowing that you…that you love me. It was wrong and I’m sorry.” She replied.

“It’s okay and I guess I should apologise to you too.” he started.

“No Bri, you-“

“You told me enough times that you weren’t interested, that you loved Seth and was going to marry him. I should never had even approached you in that club in Vegas, let alone danced with you the way I did, kissed you and certainly never have taken you back to my hotel room. And then to pursue you the way I did in the weeks leading up to the wedding. That was wrong of me and I’m sorry.” He told her.

Sarah shook her head, her eyes full of sorrow, “I’m sorry.” She whispered.

There was a long silence, both of them busying themselves with their bottles of soda.

“Brian I-“ Sarah began suddenly looking up at him. “I’ll find away for me not to be around when you come spend time with Jenni.”

“Why?” he asked confused.

“To make things easier for you.” she replied quietly, lifting her gaze to meet his.

“There’s no need, honestly.” He said with a smile. “I promise I’m going to behave myself from now on. Don’t push me away just because I...”

She nodded with a smile and reached over to rub a hand over his bicep, ignoring the flutter the contact gave her in her stomach. “I won’t I promise.” She said quietly with a smile, a smile that widened as Brian’s eyes met hers, a smile on his lips.

“Can I ask you something?” he asked cautiously.

“Of course.” She said, realising that her hand was still placed lightly on Brian’s arm and pulling it away.

“If…if I had finished with Michelle sooner, told you how I felt before you left, would things have been different? Would you have stayed?” he asked quietly his eyes looking pleadingly into hers.

Sarah’s heart thumped in her chest, “Brian, I…”

“Actually no.” he said placing a long tattooed finger against her lips to stop her from continuing. “I don’t think either answer would make me feel better.”

She opened her mouth to reply, a large part of her wanting to tell him that it would have made the world have made the world of difference. She’d been scared taking that pregnancy test, not wanting to think about Brian’s reaction if she was to tell him. She had done what she had thought was for the best and run. If she had known he had loved her as much as she’d loved him she would have stayed.

But that was in the past. What was done was done. This was now and now she was married and in love with Seth.

The sound of small footsteps coming from above drew her attention away from her thoughts.
“Sounds like she’s up.” Brian said with a smile.

With a smile of her own, Sarah quickly slipped off the stool and made her way up the stairs, finding Jenni walking down the hall towards her rubbing her sleepy eyes.

“Hey there princess.” She said cheerfully.

“Mommy!” she yelled, her eyes widening as she ran towards her, Sarah crouching down to welcome her into her arms.

“I’ve missed you sweetie, so much!” she said wrapping her arms around her tighter.

“Missed you too mommy.” she whispered tightening her small grip.

“Did you have a good week with daddy?” she asked standing up with her daughter securely in her arms.

“Yeah, we went to the beach and saw granddad and Kenna.” She said with a smile.

“Really? Anything else?” she asked as she walked back down the stairs.

“Took Pinkly for a walk and played in the park with Jimmy.” she told her, “he let me play his drums too.”

“Really?” she asked with a wide smile.

“Yeah, we were all shocked. He doesn’t even like Matt going anywhere near his drums.” Brian said with a chuckle.

“Wow, you must be really special.” Sarah teased. “Now, have you got everything ready to go home?”

“Yeah, we packed this morning.” Brian answered quietly.

“Okay, so you need to say thank you to daddy for looking after you all week and then we can go home.” she said setting the toddler on her feet. She ran over to Brian who scooped her up into his colourful arms.

“Thank you daddy.” She said with a smile which he returned.

“Anytime princess.” He replied kissing her cheek. “Love you.”

“Love you too daddy.” She replied kissing his cheek.

“Right, go out to the car with your mommy and I’ll go get your bag okay.” he said stepping forward to pass her back over to Sarah before heading towards the stairs.

“Thanks again for having her.” Sarah said once she’d secured Jenni into her car seat.

“It’s been my pleasure.” He replied with a smile as he placed the small case onto the passenger seat.

“Will you be coming up to see her Wednesday as usual, or do you need a break from her?” she asked teasingly.

“I’ll be up if that’s okay.” he replied.

“Of course it is.” She said with a smile.

As Sarah got into the drivers seat, Brian and Jenni said good bye once again before she backed out of the driveway, both of them waving at him as he stood watching them drive off.