Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active. Working on an update.

She's the Drug That I Need

Chapter 19

After arriving home, Brian took a long shower and headed for his small practice studio in his basement. He needed to get away from everything. After leaving Sarah’s, guilt had set in on his drive home. He was happy with Melissa. What had he been thinking spending the night with Sarah? But then that had been the problem. He hadn’t been thinking. Not with the right brain anyway.

At first he wanted to blame it on the wine. But he’d only had one glass. He couldn’t say he’d been too drunk to make the decision and he probably could have driven home. no, the wine was definitely not to blame.

Sarah was the problem. Plain and simple. He was still in love with her, hadn’t really stopped. And the moment she had kissed him he had lost control of all rational thought. He wanted her. Wanted to be with her and instincts had taken over. As soon as he’s started kissing her back, any thoughts of whether what he was doing was right or wrong went out of his mind.

But he did love Melissa. Hell he had even thought about asking her to move in with him. But what was he going to do now? Who did he want to be with? Should he tell Mel the truth? Was Sarah going to tell Seth? Was she going leave him? Did she really want to be with him? What had she meant when she said she didn’t want to give things up again?

He was confused. And feeling guilty. And the shower hadn’t helped. Not that being in the studio was helping him much neither, he’d been working on the same riff for almost two hours.

With an aggravated sigh he ran his fingers through his hair and reached over for the bottle of beer sat on the side next to him. As he drained the bottle, his phone began to ring on the counter. Reaching over he glanced at the name on the screen.

“S’up Jimbo?” he asked lifting the device to his ear.

“You at home?” the drummer asked.

“Down in the studio dude.” Brian replied.

“Then come let me in.” he replied before ending the call.

Brian set down his guitar and made his way up into the main house. “You okay Jim?” he asked letting his best friend into the house.

“Fine my friend, absolutely fine.” He said with a beaming smile. “Got any beers?”

“Bit of a dumb question. Of course I have.” Brian replied leading the way into the kitchen and taking two bottles out of the fridge and passing one to Jimmy.

“You been drinking already?” Jimmy asked nodding at the two empty bottles on the counter.

“Yeah, not that they’ve done much good.” He muttered taking a sip from the brown bottle.

“What’s happened?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

Brian shook his head as he took a seat next to his friend at the counter. “I’m royally fucked dude.”

“Spill.” Jimmy said strictly.

Brian sighed, taking a long drink of his beer, “I cheated on Mel.”

Jimmy groaned and took a sip of beer.

“With Sarah.”

Jimmy spat out the mouthful of beer, spraying the counter in front of him. “What the fuck dude? When did this happen?”

“Last night.” Brian began, hanging his head in shame.

“But…where was Seth?” Jimmy asked confused.

“Long Beach, problem with his new bar or something. She was upset that he’d had to cancel her birthday meal so I took her and Jenni out.” he replied quietly.

“Okay, so what happened?” he asked.

Quietly Brian began to explain what had happened the night before and that morning. When he had finished, Jimmy sighed, shook his head and smacked him upside the head.

“You are an idiot Gates. A fucking idiot.” He stated loudly.

“I know.” he yelled back. “Things are completely fucked up.”

“So what you gonna do?” he asked his eyes wide with wonder.

“I really don’t know man, I think I love them both. And I think Sarah loves both me and Seth too.” he replied

Jimmy shook his head, “No she doesn’t man.”

“You don’t think she loves me?” Brian asked shocked, glaring at his best friend who was still shaking his head.

“Not the way you’ve wanted her to. She’s a married woman Bri, why would she have married Seth if she loved you? You gave her the chance to be with you.” he replied.

Brian sighed, taking a long swig of his drink, his best friends words running over and over in his mind. Was he right? Was he going to be willing to risk what he had going with Mel to maybe have something with Sarah? Was Sarah really worth it?

Draining the bottle, he placed it down on the counter with a thud. “Let yourself out Jim, I’ve got to go somewhere.” He said getting up and grabbing his keys off the side.

Lifting the bottle of beer to his lips, Jimmy shook his head as the front door slammed shut. He had known al along that Brian had had feelings for Sarah but he had hoped that the last six months with Mel had changed things. She was a nice girl who loved Brian; the two of them were good together anyone could see that; she made Brian happier than what Jimmy had seen him in a long time.

It had been hell for Jimmy having to see his friend suffer for so long, watching him cling on to a small glimmer of hope that he could win Sarah over and the three of them could be a family together.

Jimmy had liked Sarah. He had met her a few times with Brian and her were just fuck buddies although he had always known it had been more that that to Brian. After she had left Jimmy realised just how much Brian loved her.

He had tried countless times to tell Brian to let things go, but it was never just about Sarah after she’d left. Jimmy was more than aware that a big part of the reason why Brian was persistent in tracking down Sarah was because he knew he would also find his child.

In the past year since Brian had found Sarah, Jimmy had seen a change in him again. He had watched him fall in love with her again, and although he was sure it was a bad idea, his best friend’s happiness was what was important.

Jimmy sighed again, placing the empty bottle down on the counter beside him. All that was left for him to do was hope that Brian would come to his senses and make the right decision and that that decision would lead to his happiness.

*~*

Glancing down at his watch Brian meandered his way through the crowd of people making their way out from baggage claim. Melissa's flight had just landed so she would soon be making her way to where he was now stood holding a large bouquet of white daisies.
His heart pounded in his chest as his eyes scanned the crowd of people looking for the woman he wanted to see more than any other person in the world.

A smile tugged at the corners of his lips, a warmth spreading through him as he spotted her through the crowd, pulling a small red suitcase behind her.

He moved forward, stepping into her path, smiling as she muttered an apology as she tried to side step around him. “No need to say sorry baby.” He replied watching as her eyes widened as she looked up at him.

“Brian? What are you doing here?” she asked in complete shock as he leaned down to kiss her lips.

“I thought I’d surprise you.” he said handing her the flowers and taking hold of her suitcase. “Is that okay?”

“Of course it is, and it’s a lovely surprise.” She replied smiling up at him as he wrapped his free hand around her waist, leaning down to press his lips to her temple.

“So how was your weekend?” he asked as they made their way out of the airport towards his car.

“Aside from the work stuff it was pretty good. Rock of Ages is probably the best musical I’ve ever seen, you’re gonna have to see it and Oh My God, we went to Serendipity 3 and had their frozen cocas, they are amazing, orgasmic.” She replied licking her lips as if remembering the taste.

“Orgasmic hey?” Brian asked lifting an eyebrow.

“Yeah, you need to try one, but they only do them there.” she replied.

“Well maybe I’ll have to take you back sometime hey?” he replied as he put her case in the trunk of the car. “I’ll take you to see Rock of Ages again too.”

“Really? That would be awesome.” She smiled back at him as she got in the car.

“Yeah, maybe for your birthday or something?” he suggested as he started the car.

“You’re amazing, I love you.” she replied with a beaming smile, as she leaned over and kissed his cheek.

“Love you too.” he replied.

“So what was you’re weekend like?” she asked. “Did Jenni like the movie?”

“She loved it yeah.” He replied, not about to give away anything else if he could help it, watching as she let out a yawn. “Tired baby?”

“Yeah, looking forward to getting home, having a long hot bath and spending the rest of the day in the pjs.” She replied with another yawn.

“Sounds like a plan.” He said with a smirk.

A little while later, Brian turned onto his street, Melissa lifting her head from where she’d been dozing. “I thought you were taking me home?” she asked sleepily as he pulled into his driveway.

“I have.” He replied simply, cutting off the engine and pulling the key out of the ignition.
Melissa turned, narrowing her eyes at him as he got out of the car. “What are you up to Haner?”

Brian didn’t say anything, just took her case out of the trunk before taking hold of her hand as she stepped out of the car, slipping a key into her palm. “What’s this?”

“It’s yours if you want it.” he replied quietly.

Staring deep into his eyes, Melissa smiled, “What are you saying Bri?”

“What I’m saying is that I want you to move in with me.” he said smiling back at her. “Or if you think it’s too soon, you can just hang onto it-“

Reaching up to press a single finger against his lips, Melissa shook her head, “It’s not too soon.”

Brian kissed her finger, “Great, now why don’t you let us in and I’ll go run you that bath.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Firstly apologies once again for the wait and secondly thank you to anyone who is staying with me and still reading this. <3
Comments would be awesome :)