Status: Active - slow but still plan to update/finish

Have You Ever Really Danced On the Edge?

Three

Mike and Vic lived together, which was surprising because if Taylor and I lived together, one of us would end up dead. We each do things that the other simply cannot stand, so living harmoniously would be rather difficult. But Vic and Mike seemed to be handling the situation well, obviously now being brothers, band mates, and roommates.

In fact, it was kind of cool seeing how well they got along. They were constantly near each other, teasing each other, and defending the other Fuentes against the cruel jokes Jaime was able to spit out.

The dynamic of the band, as well as the relationship of the brothers, was so interesting. I wish that I could find three other people to have my back like that. To be surrounded by people who loved and supported me as they all love and support each other.

I was lost in my thoughts as I felt a hand on my shoulder. “Liking the San Diego view?” Jaime’s dimples were showing, as he smiled at me.

“Totally,” I told him, gazing out the window, pretending to have been looking out of the window. “San Diego is definitely a cool place.”

“For sure,” Jaime agreed, “So when do you move in your new apartment… with Tay, right?”

I nodded, confirming my roommate. “Yep, we move in on 4th street in a week. My family is staying with Morgan until then, moving Tay and me in, then the parentals are going back to Milwaukee.”

“Wow, so you’ll be without parents? My, my, they must really trust you.” Jaime’s presence and questions seemed less intense than Vic’s constant questioning. Jaime’s inquiries were laid-back and less forced. Plus, I was done thinking about Brandon. Why not enjoy myself?

Thinking this, I smiled extra bright at the black-haired boy to show my newfound appreciation. “Well, I’ll with Taylor… who, apparently, is very responsible.” I put air-quotes around responsible, causing Jaime to chuckle.

Hearing this, Taylor leaned into our conversation. “Of course, darling! I’m so responsible that I am allowing you to go into a stranger’s home! Drink all of their beer! Maybe even steal something?” Her eyes glistened with flirtation as she looked at Jaime. His dimples were showcased as he smiled back.

“Strangers? I am offended Tay-Tay!” Mike screamed at her from the passenger seat. “And because I’m so hurt, you’re not getting any beer!”

Jaime looked at her with playfully hurt eyes, “What will our Taylor do without her alcohol?”

“Oh, you boys taunt me so. Do not worry; when I have my apartment I will not be serving you alcohol either! Think of that before you tease me!”

“…But you have a ping-pong table, Tay!” Vic pleaded from the front. “Who will my reigning championship partner in beer pong?”

“Are you going to serve me beer, or not?” Taylor smiled.

Mike was about to protest, “Of course!” said Vic and Jaime in unison.

“Glad that’s settled.”

***

When we arrived at Vic and Mike’s apartment, it was after midnight. They lived about 20 minutes out of downtown San Diego. The apartment building itself was pretty large, housing three moderately sized apartments: two apartments upstairs, Mike and Vic’s downstairs. Being a little outside of the city, the boys got their own little patio and fenced in backyard space.

And that’s where our little get-together was held tonight, in the backyard, under the stars. It being June in sunny San Diego, the weather was perfect. I took a seat on an outdoor couch, cool beer in hand. This was kind of perfect.

I laid my head back onto the couch, feeling relaxed for the first time in what felt like a thousand years. With Morgan’s wedding, the move to California I would undergo in a week, and Brandon being distant, I had a lot to think about lately.

Jaime and Taylor were flirting on a chair across the patio, Jaime finally getting the nerve to playfully pull Taylor onto his lap. After pretending to squirm out of his clutches, Taylor finally settled into his lap with her beer and relaxed as well. They would make a cute couple, I could tell. Jaime helped Taylor come out of her shell, which she needed some of the time. Mike was by them, arguing with Jaime about something.

Tony and Vic were leaning against the wall a few feet away, beers in their hands as well. They seemed to be discussing music, which I found amusing. As if touring 9 out of the 12 months wasn’t enough music for them.

I looked across at our little gathering and had to backtrack a bit. At Taco Bell, I had judged these boys and didn’t give them a chance. I had it all wrong. Although I was mad at Brandon for ignoring me, I shouldn’t have acted like such a bitch. I sighed.

I hated being wrong, but I was. Everyone was so nice to me. And I didn’t even deserve the time of day! But they still tried to talk to me, to get to know me. I caught myself looking at Vic. For a scrawny little guy of about 5’6, he had muscular arms. They looked perfect in a tank top that had an SD on it, standing for San Diego. God… and his pretty brown eyes…

I choked on my beer. Whoa! This wasn’t really appropriate! Sure, my boyfriend was being a dick, but he was still my boyfriend. I would never become unfaithful to him, despite the distance between us. He was going to come visit at some point during the summer, probably multiple times.

Plus, Vic seemed older. I was only eighteen. We would never work out, of course… I mean! Not that I would consider that, as I’ve got Brandon! You know, my boyfriend!

Oh dear lord. I’ve spent a total of 3 hours with Vic and already I was trying to convince myself I wasn’t attracted to the guy.

“You okay? You always seem so deep in thought, I always feel like I’m interrupting,” says a voice that seems soothing to my ears. It’s Vic, of course. He’s got his beer in one hand, the other arm resting on the back of the couch. I faintly realize his arm is almost around my shoulders, just against the couch. I scoot toward the front of the couch, just in case. I wouldn’t want to accidentally brush his arm or anything.

I laugh slightly, “Oops, sorry! This past like, week has been kind of busy. Got a lot to think about, I guess.”

“Like what?” Vic asks, taking a sip of beer.

I shrug, “My sister has gotten married, I’m moving across the country to go to school, and I’ve left my boyfriend back in Wisconsin.”

“Boyfriend, you say? Trying long distance?”

I nod, “Keyword being trying, of course. We actually got in a fight before I left, and he hasn’t texted me back yet. It’s been like, a day. And Brandon is… you know, a uh…" I try to think of an appropriate word to describe his obnoxious behavior, " free spirit.”

“So he likes to party and get drunk and you’re afraid he’s going to cheat on you, is that what you’re saying?”

So Vic has muscular arms and is all-knowing? “Oh god, you’ve got it exactly right. I feel like I’ve chosen the wrong thing. I could have easily gotten into the same college as Brandon, but no, I had to be all ‘independent’ and whatever,” I sigh, “It’s never going to work.” I suddenly feel so down about it, finally getting it out in the open. The simple act of saying it aloud made it sink a little bit deeper.

I glance at Vic, expecting to see the usual male characteristic of fear while a woman starts to whine. But he isn’t showing any fear; in fact, he smiles softly at me. His arm comes around my shoulders, lightly.

It’s like he’s afraid he’s not going to be gentle enough. “Hey, don’t act like that. I’m in a touring band. I’ve had long-distance relationships before. They work if you have the will. You have to make it work – call them, skype, and text. Make plans to meet somewhere, you know? You can’t just expect it to be okay all the time, but don’t be too worried about it. Find a comfortable place you want to be. But it’s all about making it happen.”

It’s like he’s an advice-giving God too! I smile at him, “So this whole advice thing is fool-proof, right Vic? Did they work out at all?”

Vic’s arm squeezes around my shoulders, pulling me close. He laughs and says, “Oh god no! I’m a terrible boyfriend! I think I’m into my band mates more than I could ever be into a girl. That’s my downfall – Jaime’s dimples!” I laugh, pushing him away playfully. He flows away from me, playing along, but holds me close again.

“Well, thanks Vic. I guess I’ll keep you updated on how it goes. In the meantime… I think I need another beer.”

Vic let’s me go quickly, realizing that we were basically cuddling. He mumbles a ‘sorry’ and I scoot away, not wanting another close encounter. Vic’s friendliness, again, was completely appreciated but it kind of made me want Brandon. I still didn’t even know who Vic was.

I got up and went into the kitchen, Taylor eying me up as I went by. She smiled and mouthed, ‘Good girl.’ Obviously, she'd been watching my scene with Vic.

I roll my eyes and pull out my cell-phone, dialing Brandon’s number. It rings and rings. I feel like dying when I finally hear a groggy, “Hello?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Told you it would pick up! (At least, a little bit!) and she's interacted with Vic without being a bitch! yayyy

So I've only gotten one comment thus far (thank soooo much, PrincesoftheInternet!!) but I feel like there's more of you out there! Please comment, let me know what you think!

Anyway, so speak up and chapter 4 coming soon :)