Status: Complete!

I Am Reaper

The Fault Is All Mine

The dilapidated body of my boyfriend broke me. All my senses became mush, and no coherent thoughts entered my mind.

“Nikolette!” Erik’s voice shoved me back into reality, but all I could think was that I also never told him my name. “It’s time.”

My boyfriend’s heart-rate monitor was beeping erratically. “I…I can’t.”

“Look. I’m sorry. I really wish he wasn’t your first, but it’s too late. This one was assigned to you. Only you can do it.”

A long beep echoed through the room as white blurs rushed to restart his heart. I backed up. “I…I can’t.”

“Just touch him, dammit!”

I left the room.

The heart monitor beeped once more.

I braced myself for Erik’s fury, but when he showed up, he just looked sad.

“I’m sorry, okay. I couldn’t do it. I’ll be able to do the next one. I promise. Where to now?”

“Here.”

“What?”

Unexpectedly, nurses and doctors ran towards a room a few doors down. Erik trailed behind them, so I did too.

There was no long beep this time. The small child had no heart monitor to announce her passing. Her body just lay limp on her hospital bed.

A man and a woman, assumably the child’s parents, sobbed in the corner as a doctor took the time of death. The mother held on to her husband tightly, but her distant eyes locked onto her daughter’s empty shell. “I don’t understand. You said she was ready to leave. You said she was ready to come home.”

“Ma’am I…”

“Liars! You’re all cruel liars!” She dropped to the ground and curled up with her arms wrapped unforgiving around her knees. “She wanted to come home.”

Erik walked up to the girl and touched her forehead with the tips of his fingers. Her ghost and her door materialized at the same time. Erik whispered something into her ear.

She nodded. “But why? I thought I was healed.”

“Because she,” Erik pointed unwaveringly at me, “made a mistake.”

He led her to her door, and with one last longing glance to her parents, her and the door disappeared.

As if she had felt the absence of her beloved daughter, the woman gave a long, tortured howl.

I will never forget the look in her eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Almost done you guys. One more chapter. Comment and Subscribe.

<3-----CaSeY