Sequel: Wolf's Kiss

Wolf's Heart

Bad news always end the same way...

The liquid medicine forgotten, Ulric shifted into his Creature form and walked the rest of the way out of the pond. When he kept walking I thought he’d forgotten about me, but he stopped when he reached the edge of the forest and shook the remaining water from his body. If the situation wasn’t so dour, I would have laughed at the way his fur frizzed, but as it was I could only give a small smile. I knew from the way Katima had phrased her sentence that it was my older brother who had showed up, commands in tow.

When as much of the water was off as the shaking would allow, Ulric looked at me and grumbled, bending so that his body was flat to the ground. Walking to his side I climb onto his back, the position he’s in making it easier for me to settle against him. When I was situated comfortably he stood and followed Katima, who was still in human form, back to the colony.

Katima slid her gaze to Ulric, “Do you want to change, or would you rather stay intimidating?”

I couldn’t see Ulric’s face, but by the growl he sent Katima I assumed he was glaring as well.

She sighed, “I figured. Come on, he’s talking with dad now.”

She picked up her pace so that Ulric wouldn’t have to shorten his stride and when we finally did reach the colony I was surprised to see that she wasn’t even out of breath, even though she practically jogged the entire way. Just at the edge of the clearing Ulric stopped and laid back on the ground, allowing me to slide from his back.

I walked between Ulric and Katima as we entered the colony, everyone’s eyes on us. There were two men I’d never seen before guarding the entrance to Kyros’ hut; one had pure white hair with almost white blue eyes while the other had similar hair with golden brown eyes. They both looked to be brothers, possibly twins, and around Ulric’s age.

They stiffened when we approached, their eyes narrowing as they took in Ulric’s Creature form. Their hands flexed, but when their eyes landed on me they seemed to relax. At the same time they both clicked their heels together and paced their right fists over their hearts while their lefts were clenched at their sides, “Princess,” they spoke together, their voices harmonizing.

I blinked in surprise, not expecting that. They held their positions for a few more minutes before I finally figured out what they were waiting for, “Oh, um... you can relax now…?”

They both relaxed and the brother with the white blue eyes laughed, “Close enough for now. You’ll learn our customs in time,” he gave me a wide smile while his brother moved back to stand perfectly still, his eyes taking in everything around him, “I’m Liam and this is my brother Garren.”

Garren’s gold eyes flicked to me, his head tilting in a small nod before he went back to searching the area.

Liam’s smile disappeared when he looked to Ulric, “We’d appreciate it if you changed, we’ve come in our human forms to show respect and let this tribe know that we come peacefully. You showing up like that just puts me and my brother on edge.” His eyes narrowed, “You don’t want to see us on edge.”

Ulric growled, taking a step forward. I quickly stepped in front of him, placing my hand on his large arm. Before I could say anything Katima spoke.

“He’s only like that to protect Roana. He’s been her designated guard since she’s been in these woods.”

Liam glanced at Katima, then turned back to me, “Is this true?”

I nodded, “I wouldn’t have been able to survive even the first night without him.”

Liam studied Ulric, nodding, “Alright, but I can’t allow you near my alpha in that form. You’ll have to wait out here while she’s inside.”

Ulric snarled. He turned to Katima and grumbled. I frowned as she sighed and entered the hut near Kyros’. She came back out a few minutes later carrying a bundle of fabric. Before I could ask her what she was doing I felt the air shift behind me and as Katima stopped in front of me a large arm reached around my side. I froze, my cheeks warming as I realized Ulric had shifted and the fabric Katima handed over was clothes. I squeezed my eyes tight in embarrassment, not opening them until someone cleared their throat.

I slowly opened my eyes to see Ulric, in human form, smirking at me. I sent him a small glare – which he chuckled at – and looked back to Liam and Garren, “I’m ready to go in now.”

Liam nodded and stepped to the side, sweeping his arm, “You may enter, Princess.”

I smiled at him, entering the hut. Once inside I could see Kyros sitting at his table, talking to another man I’ve never seen before. He had short dark hair, a strong jaw, and wide shoulders. I could only see his profile at first, but when I entered both men turned to us and his eyes met mine. After the first initial shock he immediately stood, bowing low. When he straightened he went back to staring at me, his eyes roaming over my features.

He slowly stepped forward, his hand stretched out to touch my face, but before he could Ulric grasped his wrist tightly. A soft growl sounded fem right behind me as Alem’s eyes flicked to Ulric. Something shifted in those dark depths that made me back up a little, right into Ulric.

“Release me.” Alem said softly, his tone even and emotionless, “Now.”

I could feel the tension in Ulric’s body, his muscles tight, as they stared at each other. I began to worry that one of them would initiate a fight, but Kyros suddenly growled, standing from the table, “Stand down, Clarence. Or I’ll make you.”

Ulric didn’t move at first, then slowly his hand relaxed and he dropped his arm. The rest of him was still tense, but at least he wasn’t attacking.

The Haggard Tribe’s alpha shifted his gaze from Ulric back to me, “You look so much like our mother.”

I blinked at his unexpected comment, not knowing what to say. He reached for my face again, then shifted his eyes to Ulric. He must have thought better then to touch me again because he sighed and put his arm back down.

I studied him, “How do I know you and everyone else is telling the truth?”

He smiled sadly and walked back to the table, digging through a bag sitting on it. When he returned he carried a piece of cream colored fabric. Unfolding it he handed it to me. I stared with wide eyes at the woman sketched on the fabric. She had long curly dark hair, large eyes, and a bone structure so similar to mine it was shocking. I ran my finger lightly against the lines of her face.

“See,” the Haggard Tribe alpha said softly, “when I look at you, when anyone who knew or saw our mother looks at you, there’s no doubt.”

I looked from the sketch to the man who claimed to be my brother, “So… all this is true? You’re really my brother?”

He nodded, “I am. My name’s Alem, though I’m sure you don’t remember.”

I shook my head, “No, I’m sorry.”

Alem shrugged, “I didn’t think you would.” He smiled at me, “Have you met your other brothers yet?”

I looked at Kyros with wide eyes, “You haven’t told him yet?”

Kyros shrugged, “We haven’t gotten to it yet.”

Alem frowned, “Told me what?”

I opened my mouth to tell him, but the words wouldn’t form so I closed it. Ulric grunted behind me and crossed his arms over his chest, “You have a dead brother.”

Alem roared, the hut shaking with his power.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry! There was Easter, then my rescue had a 2 day celebration, then Cinco de Mayo and now I'm starting the moving process... I feel so bad that it took me this long, but I've been so busy with work and everything else. I hope you like it! I'm tired, so I'm sure there're mistakes... just let me know XD

Thank you all for sticking with me!!