‹ Prequel: Slowly Dying Alone
Status: Active

Slowly Falling Apart

A Time for Firsts

Image
Another banner...even though it looks easy...this one was actually a pain to make...I don't know why...it just was...lol

Image

So much for that romantic evening, Nick thought as he looked over at his oldest brother. He didn’t resent Kevin…after all Kevin didn’t know that Nick and Kylie had plans for this evening. Besides Kylie wasn’t the type of person to turn family away. It was one of the things Nick loved most about her. She was always kind and thoughtful and never spoke badly of anyone. Even if they deserved it, that just wasn’t who Kylie was as a person.

“I’m sorry,” Kevin repeated for the hundredth time. Nick watched as his wife gave Kevin an assuring smile.

“It’s okay Kevin. We love you. You needed a place to go and we are more then willing to be there for you,” Kylie looked over at Nick and gave him a bright smile that made his stomach drop. Nick grinned back and then nodded at his brother in agreement.

“We’re always here for you, bro,” Nick said. Kylie gave a pleased looked at Nick and he knew that he had done the right thing. He would do anything to please the woman he loved. Kylie gave Kevin a gentle hug and then walked over to Nick. She kissed his cheek lightly and headed for the kitchen. Nick’s eyes followed her and he heard Kevin laugh. Nick looked over at his brother in confusion.

“You are so in love bro,” Kevin teased. Nick grinned. He loved that his pride and love showed so easily.

“I am,” Nick agreed. Kevin grinned. “So what happened?” Nick wanted to know. Kevin’s grin was soon replaced with a frown as he pulled what looked like a rumpled magazine out of his back pocket. Kevin opened the magazine and turned several pages before turning it over to Nick. Nick looked down and frowned. He read over the article and suddenly felt sick.

“I found that in my mailbox yesterday,” Kevin said. Nick looked over at his brother who was showing all the hurt he felt.

“What’s wrong?” Kylie asked as she stepped back into the living room. Nick looked at Kevin and he just nodded. Nick sighed as he placed the magazine in Kylie’s hand. Kylie looked confused but looked down to read the article. When she was done, Kylie gasped. She looked up at Kevin in shock.

“Is this for real?” she asked in disbelief. Kevin shrugged.

“The hug is real enough, that kiss may just be a camera angle, but I really couldn’t be sure,” Kevin said. Kylie looked down at the magazine once again and held the pictures closer to her face, studying them closely.

“I just can’t believe that it’s true,” Kylie whispered. Nick shook his head and turned to his brother.

“Have you talked to Dani about this?” Nick wanted to know. Kevin shook his head.

“I just need to think. I don’t want to go to her and end up saying the wrong thing. I love her, I just need to understand myself better,” Kevin whispered. Kylie looked over at Nick and gave him a small smile.

“You are more then welcome to stay in our other room,” Kylie assured. Nick nodded in agreement, glad that they had a three-bedroom condo. “Joe and Ashlyn should be back from their date any minute,” Kylie then added. Nick realized that she had called Ashlyn in the kitchen to warn her of the arrival of Kevin. Kylie didn’t like lying, but Nick also knew that telling Kevin something that wasn’t their business would cause nothing but trouble.

“Was I interrupting your guys date?” Kevin asked, suddenly concerned. Nick looked around the room and took count to the candles that he had lit to make the night more romantic. Nick then shook his head.

“We were celebrating another three months worth of clean health,” Nick said, thinking of something quickly. Kevin smiled, clearly pleased with the news.

“I’m glad,” Kevin whispered. Kylie beamed another bright, stomach dropping smile.

“We are too,” Kylie assured. Nick smiled at Kylie and nodded in agreement.

Image

Ashlyn was pissed. Joe was nothing more then an ass and she didn’t even know why she was staying with the idiot.

“I’m sorry,” Joe mumbled for the hundredth time. Ashlyn humped in reply. Joe frowned but said nothing else. They pulled into Nick and Kylie’s driveway and Ashlyn hurried out of the car slamming the door as she went.

“Hey,” Joe yelled as he also jumped out. Ashlyn glared at Joe but continued to the house.

“I hate him,” she declared as she stepped into the living room. Kevin and Nick looked up in confusion while Kylie frowned.

“Yeah, well I’m not exactly fawned of you either,” Joe huffed as he also walked in.

“Am I missing something?” Kevin asked. Nick sighed.

“Welcome to the world of Joe and Ashlyn,” Nick replied. Ashlyn frowned. Were they really that bad? Kylie gave Ashlyn a smile.

“Do you want to help me with dinner?” Kylie asked softly. Ashlyn sighed.

“Not really,” she said as she followed her friend into the kitchen. Kylie laughed and looked over at Nick, giving him a big loving smile. Ashlyn wished that she and Joe could have what they had. It was clear to the world that they were madly in love.

“Are you okay?” Kylie asked once they were safely in the kitchen. Ashlyn sighed. Kylie was too kind for her own good.

“I’m fine, a little pissed, but fine,” Ashlyn assured. Kylie just nodded as she began putting things on the dining table. Ashlyn watched Kylie silently. It always amazed her how at-home Kylie looked taking care of her home and Nick. It was like she was born to be a homemaker. That thought made Ashlyn frown. Kylie would be a wonderful mother, but it was very unlikely that she and Nick would ever have their own child. That made Ashlyn sad for her friend, even though she knew that it didn’t bother Kylie too much. She was good at taking what life handed her. She was willing to take the risks, to fall in love, to let Nick take care of her. She was willing to be herself, because of everything she’s already been through. Compared to Kylie, Ashlyn was nothing more then a coward – the thought alone made Ashlyn mad.

Image

“So what did you do this time?” Nick asked Joe. Joe frowned at his brother’s tone.

“Nothing. Ashley texted me…I didn’t even respond, but Sawyer saw it, and completely flipped. I just don’t get her sometimes,” Joe sighed as he plopped onto the couch. He then looked over at his older brother and once again frowned. “Not to sound rude, but what are you doing here?” Joe asked. Kevin handed Joe the magazine and Joe glared.

“I needed a place to think,” Kevin shrugged. Joe muttered a curse, causing Nick to smack him upside the head.

“What was that for?” Joe asked in disbelief.

“This is still my house, and I won’t have you pissing my wife off with your fowl mouth,” Nick warned. Joe glared at his brother and then turned to Kevin.

“You don’t seriously think Dani would cheat on you…do you?” Joe asked. Kevin shrugged.

“She hasn’t let me near her since the miscarriage, how am I supposed to know?” Kevin asked. Joe looked over at Nick and they both frowned.

“Have you talked to Payton? Maybe she would know something. After all, James is her brother,” Joe suggested.

“Maybe so, but she is also Dani’s best friend. I somehow doubt that she would willingly open up to me about what her brother and best friend have been up to,” Kevin informed. Joe sighed.

“Why do relationships have to be so complicated?” Joe groaned.

“They don’t have to be,” Nick said. “You just have to be willing to work at them,” Joe laughed.

“Says the man who is still very much in his honeymoon stage,” Joe teased. Nick shrugged.

“As long as my wife is happy, then so am I,” Nick said. Joe frowned.

“I don’t like the sound of that,” Joe stated. Kevin then laughed.

“Of course you wouldn’t,” Kevin mocked. “You fell in love with a girl who is more stubborn then life itself,” he teased. “Making Ashlyn happy would mean that you never so much as looked at another girl.” Nick laughed with Kevin while Joe just frowned.

“She is something…huh?” Joe said with a smile.

“Yeah, and most of the time she’s pissed at you,” Nick said. Joe nodded.

“Seems that way,” Joe agreed. Joe then turned toward the kitchen.

“Why are woman so…so…” Joe was at a loss.

“Different?” Nick filled in. Joe just nodded.

“Women are what keep us men sane – sad but true. They are what we need in order to survive,” Kevin supplied. Joe frowned.

“Then why are you here instead of dealing with your wife?” Joe asked. Kevin frowned but he didn’t answer. Joe looked to Nick for support to his question, but Nick had turned to the burning candles, carefully blowing them out. “Wuss,” Joe snorted to his younger brother. Nick looked over at Joe and grinned.

“What Kevin does in his marriage is his choice. I have no right to question his actions. After all – not that it would – I have no idea what would happen if I was in his position,” Nick said in support. Kevin smiled his thanks.

“Well I do…Sawyer and would be over in a heartbeat,” Joe informed. Nick and Kevin both turned to glare at Joe. “What?” he asked in confusion.

“Ashlyn would never do that to you…you on the other hand…” Kevin trailed off.

“I what? Are you trying to say that I would cheat on my girlfriend?” Joe asked in disbelief. Nick snorted.

“You’ve done it before, so why not now?” Nick retorted. There was a gasp and all three men turned in surprise.

“You’ve cheated on me?” Ashlyn asked her voice very quiet.

“No…not you,” Joe admitted reluctantly.

“Who?” Ashlyn wanted to know, her frown firmly in place. Joe turned at glared at Nick, who only shrugged.

“Taylor,” he whispered making Ashlyn gasp once again.

“Joseph Adam…you are a bastard,” Ashlyn stated as she quickly ran up the stairs.

“Seriously Nick?” Joe asked with a frown.

“How was I supposed to know that she would be standing there?” Nick asked as he looked over at his wife. Joe turned too, and saw a soft frown on her pale face. Nick walked toward her and frowned.

“What’s wrong?” he asked in a gentle whisper. Joe and Kevin were both suddenly on edge.

“Cooper,” she whispered back. Nick looked down and Joe’s eyes followed. Kylie’s cell was gripped tightly in her hand.

“What did he want?” Nick wanted to know his voice still soft.

“My grandfather is asking for me,” she gasped out. Suddenly tears streamed down her face and Nick pulled her into his arms holding her tightly. The phone dropped from Kylie’s hand and fell to the ground as she wrapped her arms tightly around Nick’s waist. Joe turned away, he couldn’t watch the tenderness that they showed. He didn’t understand it. They were so happy, Nick was supportive, and in return Kylie seemed to be able to talk to Nick about whatever she needed. Why couldn’t he and Ashlyn have that sort of relationship?

Image

Dani frowned as she walked into her empty house. It was clear that Kevin was gone, but she didn’t realize how gone until she walked into the bedroom and found several drawers open and some of Kevin’s clothes thrown around the room. Dani walked into her room and looked at the bed. On it was a letter. Dani walked over to the letter and picked it up.

Reading it caused Dani to gasp. There was an article out about her…what had she done? Dani turned to the doorway and walked into Kevin’s office. She headed right to the computer and managed rather quickly to get the computer up and running. Dani quickly typed in her name and gasped.

“No, no,” she whispered as she picked up the phone. “James, we…I’m in trouble,” she whispered. Dani suddenly knew why James was weary of her being in his house. This was going to kill Kevin.

Image

For the next two weeks things seemed stressful in the condo. Ashlyn and Joe were not on speaking terms, Kevin had yet to talk to his wife about what he had found, and Kylie and Nick were still trying to decide how to deal with the demands that Kylie’s biological grandfather had made.

“I don’t know what to do, Nick,” Kylie whispered as they lay in bed for the evening. Nick pulled Kylie tighter into his arms and kissed her temple before snuggling his face into her sweet smelling hair.

“I don’t either, sweetie. Just know that I’ll support whatever decision you decide to make,” Nick promised. Kylie sighed.

“I mean, he disowned my mom, never claimed me when she died, and to top it all off, I don’t even know his or my grandmother’s name,” Kylie said. Nick sighed and pulled Kylie even closer into his body.

“You don’t have to make any rushed decisions,” Nick said. “He’s waited seventeen years to even contact you, he can wait even longer,” Nick affirmed. Kylie smiled as she turned her head to face Nick.

“You always know what to say,” Kylie whispered softly. Through the window’s moonlight Kylie said Nick smile a sexy smile that always made her heart drop. Kylie snuggled into Nick’s chest and tightly wrapped her arms around his waist.

“What do you think he wants?” she asked wearily. Nick shrugged lightly.

“Who knows, just remember, you’re my wife,” he said. Kylie looked up at Nick and smiled. Nick grinned back before leaning down and kissing her gently. Kylie sighed as Nick deepened the kiss. “I love you, Kylie,” Nick whispered against her lips. Then Nick laced his fingers into Kylie’s hair and gently pulled her until she was laying on him, straddling his waist. Kylie pulled away from Nick lightly and looked into his eyes.

“I’m ready,” she whispered as her breathing became more labored. Nick looked up at Kylie his eyes full of questions.

“Are you sure?” Nick asked his voice concerned. Kylie smiled and nodded. Nick looked at Kylie for a moment before pulling her lips back to his. He kissed her deeply before rolling her over onto her back. “We’ll be slow, and gentle,” he promised. Kylie looked at Nick and nodded.

“I know,” she whispered. Nick groaned when Kylie wrapped her fingers around the curls of his hair. Kylie gave a small giggle, which made Nick laugh quietly as well. Nick traced his fingers down her side and smiled when she shivered from the touch. When his fingers reached the end of her cami Nick grasped the ends and lifted the shirt over her head. Kylie shivered from the air hitting her but she made no comment. For the first time, Nick saw no fear in her eyes. Nick leaned down and kissed her again.

Kylie’s hands spread across Nick’s back as she reached down and pulled at the edges of his shirt. It gave away easily and Nick’s lips quickly found hers as soon as the shirt was off. Kylie moaned as Nick moved down to her neck, leaving trails of kisses along her throat. Kylie moved her hands along his bare back until she reached his hair wrapping her fingers within the curls that she loved so much.

“We have to be quiet,” Kylie whispered as she felt Nick’s lips trail down her throat. Nick groaned as he lifted his head. He looked her in the eyes. “I’m told it…it hurts that first time, for a woman, so,” Kylie looked down at Nick’s chest reaching for the dog tags that hung there. “So be quick, and make sure to stop me from screaming…or crying out in pain,” Kylie looked back up at Nick. Nick smiled and gave her a light kiss.

“I know, we’ll do this right,” Nick promised. Kylie smiled. “I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you too,” Kylie replied as Nick leaned in for another kiss. Nick straddled his knees beside her hips freeing his hands from supporting her. He gently tugged at her pajama bottoms loosening them from hips. When the strings where free Nick tugged the pants down and once they were free of her legs Nick threw the pants somewhere on the floor. Nick trailed lightly along one of her bra straps, his lips barely touching Kylie’s skin.

“Are you ready?” Nick breathed. Kylie nodded gasping as Nick kissed the skin just above her breast. These sensations were new and delightful and they made Kylie want scream in pleasure. Nick moved up and once again kissed Kylie deeply removing the rest of her clothes as well as his.

Kylie was ready, ready for the pleasure, the pain, and the next step that was surely to come with this new intimate side of their relationship. Nick groaned as Kylie released a moan. Kylie was looking forward to this step. She was finally going to become a woman. Once they made this step their marriage would be real, would be set, and no on, not even her grandfather would be able to contest the marriage.

Image

Ashlyn woke up with a groan as she hurried her way to the bathroom. She was tried of waking up every morning this way. Ashlyn hung onto the toilet as she threw up everything she had eaten the day before. Ashlyn gasped in pain as tried to breathe. Suddenly the door opened and Kylie rushed in, wearing nothing but a button up shirt of Nick’s.

“Are you okay?” Kylie asked with concern, bending down. Ashlyn looked up in time to notice Kylie wince in light pain.

“I…think…the better…question…is…are you…okay?” Ashlyn asked her breathing uneven. Kylie smiled, but the smile disappeared as Ashlyn once again began gagging. “Ugh,” Ashlyn whispered as she clung to the toilet.

“I’m fine, my pain will be gone by the end of today…you on the other hand,” Kylie paused. “You’ve been waking up like this for several days now,” Kylie said thoughtfully. Ashlyn groaned. “Are you late?” Kylie then asked. Ashlyn looked up in shock.

“What?” she asked. Kylie smiled.

“When was your last period?” Kylie asked. Ashlyn didn’t know what to think. Surely Kylie wasn’t suggesting that she was pregnant. No, she and Joe already had that scare once before. There was no way that it was happening again. But then as Ashlyn thought she realized that she was a week late…at least. Ashlyn groaned.

“Longer then it should have been,” Ashlyn admitted. Kylie nodded.

“All right then,” she whispered. “I will pick up a pregnancy test. It is the best option.”

“But what about Nick?” Ashlyn asked. Ashlyn knew that Kylie did not like to keep secrets from her husband; however, Ashlyn was sure that this was not something she wanted her boyfriend’s brother to know about. Kylie seemed to think about that for a moment.

“I think, in this case, we can make an exception. However, should Nick ask me outright, I will not lie to my husband,” Kylie said sternly. Ashlyn gave a small smile.

“Thanks, you really are my best friend,” Ashlyn whispered. Kylie grinned.

“Go back to bed, I’ll inform Kevin not to bother you, and have Nick drive me to the store,” Kylie said.

“You really need to get a drivers license,” Ashlyn teased. Kylie smiled.

“I am perfectly happy letting Nick drive, besides, its best that I don’t…drive, should something happen. I know it doesn’t look like it, but I can still become quite weak. Nick gets very concerned about my safety,” Kylie whispered with a far off look. Ashlyn grinned.

“So why are you in pain?” Ashlyn wanted to know as she watched her friend blush.

“We…oh Ashlyn, it was everything you said it would be…and more,” Kylie whispered with a giggle. Ashlyn grinned.

“I’m glad, you…of all people…deserve some happiness,” Ashlyn whispered back. Kylie grinned. “Did you use protection?” Ashlyn wanted to know. Kylie shook her head.

“There is less then a fifteen percent chance that I will be able to conceive. Nick and I both felt that odds were low enough not to bother. Besides, I know we are each others first. He was so kind and loving and gentle. Ashlyn I don’t know why I was so scared,” Kylie admitted.

“The time is always a little scary. I think it’s because of the unknown,” Ashlyn said with a shrug.

“Are you going to be okay?” Kylie then whispered. Ashlyn placed a forced smile on her face and nodded.

“I have you…nothing else matters,” Ashlyn promised. Kylie grinned and got up.

“I’ll go get Nick to take me to the store,” Kylie whispered. Ashlyn nodded and then watched silently as her best friend left the bathroom. Ashlyn sighed as she lay against the cool tile. It was relaxing and seemed to sooth the nausea that was threatening to pull her under. If she was pregnant she would just have to deal with it…with or without Joe’s help…because at this point, Ashlyn wasn’t even sure she wanted Joe to know…ever.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
So first, I want to give a huge THANK YOU! to Breathless Tallie for shoving me through the door on this chapter. I was really stuck, and even though I knew what I wanted to happen, I just couldn't get the ideas out. So Tallie just showed me a way to see through my issue and it really helped. I've never played a story out in my head before (at least not one I've ever placed on paper) but it really helped me see what I was trying to do and say!

Image

Also I know it might look weird...leaving off where I did, but I felt it was important. Yes Nick and Kylie finally committed their love, Ashlyn may-or-may-not be...well you know, and Kevin and Dani are really going to have to work out their issues. The next chapter should have more David and Payton for you fans! And don't forget that Taylor and Tyler might be showing up again soon!

Image

Also the Taylor Joe is talking about...is Taylor Swift...I don't know if that happened, but I thought it would add to some drama...especially since Ashlyn is being so emotional right now!

Image

PeaceOutDude123 -- You know, I end up doing that sometimes! I don't want to say that what you did was right...but I feel honored that you value this story more then your homework! I hope you did well on you paper anyways!!

lizzzzzzx -- I love pretty fast updates as well...it's just the slow writing that tends to get to me...lol

Breathless Tallie -- Tallie, Tallie, Tallie...silly Tallie! I love reading your comments...I always find myself looking for them, because I know they will make me laugh! So thanks to your support and shove in the butt this chapter is out! I don't think I would have gotten past the issue if you hadn't shoved me through the door! You always seem to make my day!! Love Ya Tallie! And yes, you are still the best!

drama-queen-ak -- Taylor and Tyler are sort of drama people...they are there for drama reasons...They may not be showing up often, but when they do, you know that some major drama is ahead. See I don't plan to do what most would with their main characters. No one will be coming in between Nick and Kylie. I think they have been through too much for that to happen, so I needed some characters to make up for what was missing. And thanks to Tallie (the girl right above you!) I got them!!

RileyRae -- Here is the update...sorry it took so long...I got stuck for a couple weeks or so...but I'm back!

Hollister hobo -- Thanks! I'm glad you think so! I really do love writing, so I hope it shows!

Live4Music -- Here's your update! I hope you love this chapter just as much!!