Till the Day That I Found You

.oo2

I finished shaving then went in the shower. While standing on the edge of the shower, waiting for the water to get hot, I began to think of other memories with Erica. I looked out the bathroom window and watched the waves crash the shore...

Erica was on the balcony of the hotel room we were staying at. I became speechless as I watched her threw the glass doors. The sun's rays were hitting her perfectly making her skin glow like a goddess. She was watching the sea and smiling. She rested her head in her hand and her elbow on the railing. She closed her eyes, soaking in the sun.

I collected myself and turned back to the TV. Cameron was watching a documentary on dinosaurs that we've seen a million times.

"Come on do we really have to watch this again!"

"It's so good though!" Cameron said.

We argued for a few minutes when Erica walked back in saying that she was going to go for a walk. I invited myself because I couldn't stand to watch the dinosaur special yet again. I slipped on my old Vans that were falling apart and grabbed my backpack.

"Zach," Erica said from behind me.

I turned, "Yes?"

"Can you put this in your bag? I don't have pockets and I don't feel like carrying it."

"Yeah sure," I smiled. I took the digital camera and put it in the side pocket of my backpack. I grabbed four water bottles and we were out.

We walked across the street side by side. I eyed her hand, why did I want to hold it. I couldn't! I don't want to ruin a relationship where we serve more as coworkers and friends than, I don't know, a relationship-relationship! We got to the sand and took off our shoes. I put them in my bag and looked over at Erica.

She was standing like she was on the balcony. Smiling and breathing deeply. I didn't know what to say. So I blurted out the dumbest thing I could.

"Something wrong?" The moment the words left my mouth I wanted to face palm myself. Of course nothing was wrong she was smiling, Zach Porter, why are you so awkward?

Her eyes fluttered open and she took a moment to understand the question. She smiled and said that she was fine and that she loved the beach. Every aspect of it she liked to take in.

Could I just hold her? I loved the beach with every drop of blood in me. We continued walking and talking until we found a deserted lifeguard stand. As the sun began to set I watched Erica out of the corner of my eye. She seemed so at peace with the world.

"Wow. You know some people don't take the time to just sit down and watch these kinds of things. They'd rather be in front of a computer or TV, but this is where the real action is at."

"Yeah it's so beautiful," I said, half talking about her.

She asked for her camera so I opened the side pocket and took it out. I then closed it and placed the backpack back in between us. I reached out to Erica to hand her the camera. She reached for it and I pulled it back. I jumped off the lifeguard stand and she jumped after me. I ran around in weird circles and kicked up sand. All of a sudden Erica tackled me from behind. I went flying to the side, landing on my back. She landed next to me. I was laughing so hard.

I was high on adrenaline. Flipping up over Erica and pinning her down, I smirked, "I got you now."

She laughed, so I took the camera and snapped a picture of her.

Through her giggles she said, "No please. I look terrible in pictures!!"

"Erica, really?" I said. The high wearing off quickly now.

"Yeah. I'm the most un-photogenic person there is."

"Erica, no you're not," she had to be kidding.

"Zach, yes I am," I loved the way she said my name.

Then I told her, "No, Erica you honestly aren’t." I couldn't keep it in any longer, "Erica, you're beautiful."

"Wha-" But before she could finish her sentence I leaned down on her and lightly kissed her on the lips.

I opened my eyes and pulled away. I watched her eyes flutter open in both amazement and confusion. "We should head back before they start worrying."...

The steam was rising around me. I reached over and cooled the water down a bit then jumped in. I smiled at the memory. Our first kiss. I've never had a better first kiss with someone. I heard Erica waking up in our room. She came into the bathroom and stuck her head in the shower.

I leaned over and kissed her. She smiled and said, "I'm going to go check in on the kids."

"Okay," I said grinning.

She continued to look at me for a moment then threw the luffa at me, "Don't forget to scrub."

I laughed and started to sing, children's songs about bath time.

She laughed as she walked out of the bathroom and down the hall.