Till the Day That I Found You

.oo4

Erica came walking into the kitchen with Zechariah. Her hair was in a messy bun and she was still in her pajamas. She put him down in his baby seat and went back to go get Elizabeth. Upon returning to the kitchen she put Elizabeth in her baby seat. I continued to play with Amy. She looked over at me and smiled, but then glanced at the other two babies and frowned a little. She turned around to get them something to eat. I could tell something was up, but I didn't want to force her to tell me, when she was ready she would talk.

When the Elizabeth and Zechariah had their bottles, Erica cleaned up the leftover dishes in the sick from our dinner last night. She was scrubbing the pot she used for the pasta like crazy. Her hand slipped and she caught the pot. She scrubbed it again and her arms gave in. The pot dropped and the kids started to cry.

"Erica, are you okay?" I asked while calming Amy.

She stayed facing the sink and the window above it.

"Erica?"

She turned so her back always was facing me and then went to calm Elizabeth and Zechariah.

"Mommy's sorry," she whispered to them, "She's just a little confused right now."

With that she walked to the back porch door and put her hand on the knob. She breathed in deeply and opened it, closing it slowly behind her. I stood up and looked out the back window, she opened the back porch door and was walking down the steps to the beach.

I looked at the three infants I was in charge of. Then down to just Amy.

"What am I going to do?" I asked her.

She answered with burping at me then giggling and looking at the back window. I nodded and picked up the phone. I called our neighbors.

"Hello?" Old Mrs. Hare said.

"Hi, Mrs. Hare, it's Zach Porter, the new neighbor.-"

"I know who you are, hun. I'm not that old," she said in a joking matter

"Is there any way you could come over quite soon?"

"Is something wrong?"

"Well, Erica just walked outside to the beach and she seems really upset. I need to check in on her, but I can't juggle three babies."

"I'm on my way."

With in the next minute Mrs. Hare invited herself in through the front door, kissed my cheek took Amy from me and told me to, "Go get her, son. A love like that is rare." She then shoved me out the backdoor.

I took a breath and pushed my hair back. You can do this Zach, you love her. I walked out of the porch and onto the stairs. Zach, help her. I took another step down. Little girl, you're in the middle of the ride, everything, everything will be just fine. Everything, everything will be alright, alright? She should know that. Sing to her. But is she mad at me? Don't sing to her. I was now on the sand and halfway to Erica, who had her feet being washed by the ocean.

I stood next to her. Silence was a barrier between us.

Finally, she breathed out and said, "Have you ever felt like you were unwanted?"

I looked at her from the corner of my eye she was still looking into the horizon.

"Yes, I suppose I have."

"So you know how terrible it feels."

I nodded in response.

She rested her head on my shoulder and laced our fingers together, "Don't let Elizabeth and Zechariah feel that way."

I looked down at her, bewildered. She tightened her grip on my hand.

"I know you love them. I'm aware of that. Just sometimes, sometimes it seems that Amy's your entire world. And I get why you'd pay a bit more attention to her, just I don't want you to forget that you have two other babies in there that need their father's love."

I squeezed her hand, then released it. I shifted so I was standing behind her, then I gave her a hug and rested my head on her head and we watched the waves crash the shore.

After a few moments she turned around, stood on her toes, and kissed me. Then rolled back to her natural five one.

"Who's watching the kids?"

I smiled, "Mrs. Hare."

She nodded then tucked her arms under my arms and around me. She mumbled into my chest that she loved me.

I tucked my head down and close to hers, "I love you more."
♠ ♠ ♠
This one's short but I didn't think it needed a flashback.