Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter twenty six

Tai and I were now at our lockers. I had checked my phone and two hours had passed since we first went to the Digital World. I was nearing the end of computer class with Izzy, and lunch was after that. That meant it was now the last class of the day and we had skipped lunch.

Just as that plagued my thoughts, I heard a set of footsteps running towards us, and screeched to a halt in front of us. I shut my locker door to see Matt in front of Tai and I.

“Where the HELL have you guys been? We’ve all been worried SICK.” Matt said, screeching at Tai and I.

“Wow, sorry man. We didn’t mean to worry you.” Tai said, finding Matt’s outburst a little out of character, since Matt usually only acted this way towards T.K.

“Well, you did. You worried ALL of us. We had no idea where to look for you guys. Izzy said you had gone to find some of the others, but when they didn’t show up, they said they hadn’t seen you guys. When we tried calling you, you had both your phones off. We knew you couldn’t be in the Digi world as you had no D3s present to open the ports, but Yolei went in and scanned everywhere on Aquilamon.” Matt sternly said, scolding Tai and I.

I smirked to myself as I reached into my pocket and felt my D3.

“Well Scar being an idiot, lost her digivice. We decided to go to her house to find it, just in case we might need her help, even though she wouldn’t be much of a help. We only JUST found it, and returned back. I have no idea why we had no service, but our phones weren’t off, at least mine at least. Scar probably tripped on a chord somewhere near her apartment and ruined the connection.” Tai scoffed.

Back to his normal self. Although now I’m not sure whether he’s just bluffing to cover up what I asked him to, or if he really means what he’s saying. I’m guessing it’s part of column a) and part of column b)

“I…that doesn’t even make sense!” I protested, playing the part.

“You guys can keep arguing in the hallway, or we can all go back to class before we all get into trouble. I told our music teacher that Scarlett has been in sick bay, but Tai you’re on your own to think of an excuse for your teacher.” Matt informed Tai and I.

“Whatever. See you later, Matt. Bye SCAR.” Tai teased, using his stupid nickname for me as he strode off in the opposite direction.

But then it hit me. Tai referred to me as ‘Scarlett’ using my full name for the first time since we were kids, when I hated people referring to me with my full name and preferred ‘Scar.’ Maybe we really were on the verge of a friendship.

I followed Matt down the hallway, as we walked in silence. He was walking quickly, and it was hard to keep up with him.

When we made it to my music classroom, he grabbed my shoulders firmly, indicating for me to keep walking.

“Aren’t we going to music class?” I asked him.

“No. We’re going to my car to talk.” He gruffly replied.

I meekly followed him, slightly in fear. Saying I had never seen Matt angry was a straight out lie. During summer when we were twelve in the Digi World, he was always angry. He got angry with Tai a lot, for being so carefree. And he got angry a lot when he thought T.K. was in trouble. He also got angry with T.K. for T.K. being so sure of himself.

But Matt was a different person now than he was back then. Back then he was just a pretty boy loner who wasn’t used to being around people, and got angry when the only person he cared about (T.K.) was in danger. Now he was what he originally hated Tai for, carefree in a way. He cared about a lot of people now, and now he had let his guard down he had a lot of friends.

But the way he was acting now, reminded me of how he was when we were children. I guess he had gone back to primitive Matt, the pretty boy loner, who showed immense anger when the people he cares about (me) were in danger.

We made it out to the car park exchanging no more conversation. Matt led us to his car, and opened my car door for me. I thanked him, but he shut the door with a loud ‘BANG’ which shocked me, as he made his way onto his side. He did the same, shutting his door with a loud ‘BANG’

“So what did you want to discuss?” I asked meekly.

“What did I want to discuss? Hahaha, what a joke.” Matt said sarcastically.

“Alright? What do you want me to say? Yes, what Tai and I did was stupid. We should have informed you guys that we were going to my house to search for my Digivice before doing so. But we thought it was an emergency and PANICKED. We did stupid things. I’m sorry, and I can understand why you’re mad. But I don’t know what else I can do other than explain and apologise.” I said, squirming in my seat.

“If you and Tai wanted to make out, you shouldn’t have dragged everyone else into it. You could have slipped off, and no one else would have known.” Matt shot at me, his voice dripping with venom.

Matt’s jealousy was poisonous and bitter. I had never seen this side of Matt before. I had seen small amounts of jealousy, but they were always justified. It was unlike of him to get so hot-headed and hurtful.

“Tai came into Izzy and I’s class, looking for us both. He showed both Izzy and I his digivice that was glowing. He couldn’t make that up and program his digivice to do that. Why go to all that trouble to assemble everybody and make everybody notice us going missing just to make out? Wouldn’t he have just asked for me instead?” I asked Matt.

“…Alright, maybe you’re right. It just doesn’t add up though. Why go with Tai? Couldn’t you have just waited until I got to the computer lab and waited for me? I would have gladly gone with you to search for your digivice.” Matt said, clearly calming down.

“Sorry, as I said it was a heat of the moment thing and we didn’t think as we thought it was an emergency. If I thought things through, you definitely would have been my first choice.” I explained, relaxing a little at Matt’s calmness.

“It’s just not fair, you know. Everyone knows we’re at least friends, yet we have to keep everything, even just hanging out a secret. Everyone knows you and Tai don’t get along, yet you can go off gallivanting around with him.” Matt sighed.

“Sorry?” I apologised.

Matt and I were silent for a minute or two. I looked down out of shame, and the few looks I stole at him showed Matt looking out the window, deep in thought.

“Maybe us weren’t such a good idea. You’re Sora, my ex’s best friend. This was never going to be a good idea. The fact that we have to keep our relationship a secret shows a lot about the situation.” Matt concluded.

I scoffed, and laughed at the same time. It’s all I could do without feeling hurt.

“You’re really going to call things off just because I went home and searched for my Digivice with Tai? Don’t you think you’re overreacting?” I asked him.

“No. Because it’s just shown me the light. It’s not because of that. It’s because it’s made me think about the situation. Things just aren’t going to work out.” Matt replied.

“Alright, if you say so. I like you Matt, but there’s no point of convincing one party of something their heart just isn’t into. I’ll see you around, I guess.” I sternly said to Matt, opening the car door.

“This is for the best, you know. I’m glad you can at least understand, even if it’s just a little.” Matt replied.

I ignored his statement as I shut the door, but as I was walking away I remembered something. I quickly ran to his door, opened it, stated something and then cheekily scampered away.

“By the way Matt, we never were in a relationship.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, this is out pretty much exactly half an hour after the last one! Forgive any errors, it's way past my bedtime but I had too much inspiration NOT to write.