Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter nine

I appeared in front of the door and answered it, curious who would be at the door. I had no friends so far, so it couldn’t be a friend popping in. Maybe Mum had forgotten something and had come back to get it? Maybe it was a police officer; maybe she got drunk too fast and did something stupid. Maybe it was one of her friends? Who knows? The only way to find out was to answer the door I guess.

Upon opening the door, I saw a kid I had never seen before. He looked to be a little younger than me, probably T.K. and Kari’s age. His hair was a deep red, almost purple looking, with a pair of goggles on his head that looked EXACTLY the same as the ones Tai wore at summer camp.

“Um, hi. Can I help you?” I asked, trying to remain cheerful but I was quite confused as to who the kid is.

“Davis, nice to meet you. Is Kari here?” This ‘Davis’ kid asked.

“Um…yeah. Do you need to talk to her or something?” I asked, not appreciating his bluntness.

“I sure do, thanks.” Davis said, taking my question as an invitation and walking right in. In the background I could him hear call out to Kari.

“Come in.” I said sarcastically.

As I was about to shut the door, I saw a girl run up to me. When she got me, she was out of breath, which gave me time to take in her appearance. She had light purple coloured hair with a headscarf covering the top of her hair. She had on some long pants, and a long sleeve shirt, topped off with some round glasses. She looked a little geeky and nerdy, but I shouldn’t judge people on first appearances.

“Sorry about Davis. We were in the neighbourhood and he heard Kari was here, so he couldn’t help but stop by and say hello. I tried to stop him, but he ran off on me, so I ran after him and ended up here. I can go drag him out if you’d like.” The girl offered.

“Um…it’s okay I guess. If he’s a friend of Kari’s, then he’s welcome. It was just a little, random is all. But everything is cleared up now.” I smiled.

“Great. Well then, I guess I may as well come in too. I’m Yolei, by the way.” The girl said, offering her hand.

“I’m Scarlett.” I replied.

She came in and I closed my door, and she followed me back into the living room where Davis had pulled up a chair and squeezed in between T.K. and Kari.

I resumed my spot next to Matt, whilst Yolei took the last chair next to T.K. and myself.

Conversation was then made between all of us. It was made quickly apparent that the four younger kids were all good friends and saw each other on a regular basis, based on their inside jokes, their stories and talking about plans they all had.

Whilst they included Matt and I in their conversations, it was sometimes hard to enter a conversation, so Matt and I were talking amongst ourselves.

“Not to sound, dodgy or anything but do you want to maybe go for a walk? It’s kind of hard to talk in here with these four talking, and T.K. and Davis arguing, but pretending they’re not arguing.” I asked Matt.

“Why would you sound dodgy?” Matt asked curiously.

“Well, I don’t know. It’s a little awkward, asking to leave the apartment to go for a WALK; somebody may take that as flirting. It’s a little less dodgy than asking to hang out in my room though.” I nervously replied.

“Hey, no, not at all. It’s fine. We should leave these four to their new digidestined talk. Us old digidestined are now useless and obsolete unless they need our advice.” Matt joked, and then went to stand up, I followed suit.

“Hey, where are you guys going?” T.K. asked curiously.

“We’re going for a walk, just to walk off dinner. We’ll leave you guys to chat.” I smiled at the four younger teens.

“Ooooh! How romantic!” Davis teased.

I narrowed my eyes. I already didn’t like this kid.

“Yeah, you know what else will be romantic? You trying to win over Kari’s heart in front of T.K. and Yolei whilst Matt and I are gone. Good luck with that, kid.” I teased back, before bounding out of the living room and out the door.

Yolei started BURSTING out laughing, whilst T.K. and Matt gave small sniggers. Kari just rolled her eyes, I could see she was sick of Davis’ advances and was clearly not interested.

“You certainly got Davis back.” Matt said, as we made our way down the flights of stairs.

“What’s up with that kid? Do you like him or not?” I asked Matt, deciding to be cautious.

“Davis is alright now. He used to be really rude to T.K. and myself, but we both grew on him. He’s an alright friend, but he still has digs at T.K. every now and then. T.K. is a big boy; he can fight his own fights. Davis absolutely worships Tai though. Those goggles he was wearing, did they look familiar to you?” Matt asked me.

“Sure did, I could never forget those goggles. They were an exact replica of the ones Tai used to wear.” I replied.

“Nope, not a replica. Those were Tai’s; he gave them to Davis after Davis’ ones broke, since Tai stopped wearing them a while ago. The same pair you wore on the last day of summer camp, after you tackled Tai and took them off his head and pretended to be them.” Matt grinned.

“Oh yeah, that was quite amusing.” I said, smiling at the memory.

We were now on the ground floor, walking slowly to the large park that was across the road from my apartment complex.

“On the topic of Tai, you handled the situation before quite well. I’m surprised you didn’t lean across the table, snatch up the phone and abuse him. I myself would have even been tempted to.” Matt said to me.

“Oh, nah, it’s no big deal really. When Tai and I meet we’ll see how much each of us has matured, and it’ll be less awkward and we’ll be civil towards each other I guess.” I smiled at Matt.

We walked in silence for a while, until we got to the centre of the park. There was a high brick wall acting as a separator, and Matt easily heaved himself onto it. I knew there would be difficulty for me getting up, so Matt reading my mind helped me onto it.

“Does T.K. like Kari?” I asked Matt, making it as blunt as possible.

“Yes. He told me. They’ve been best friend for ages but it only entered his mind six months ago when he thought about how good it would be if they dated. He’s scared he’ll ruin the friendship, or look like Davis or something.” Matt explained, adding a slight chuckle at the end.

“Pfft, yeah right. At least Kari actually likes T.K. Guess I’ll have to play a little match making.” I cheekily grinned, putting my arms out in front of me and flexing my fingers.

“Good luck with that. T.K. is way too shy, if you think you can help.” Matt laughed.

I laughed too, and then looked at the time.

“Hm, it’s getting kind of late. Do you think we should head back now?” I asked Matt, showing him the time.

“Yeah, alright. We should probably go check on those crazy kids.” Matt agreed.

The walk was a lot shorter than I realised, as we made it back to the apartment block quite quickly. We walked up the four flights of stairs as we made it back to my apartment.

“Just before we go back in, I have a question for you.” Matt informed me.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“Well um. Next Friday night my band is playing a gig. Pretty much everyone is going to be there, so it would be a good chance to catch up with everybody. I’d also really like you there.” Matt said to me.

“Hm…sitting in my room like a loner on a Friday night, or going to see an awesome live band, catching up with old friends and possibly making new ones. Difficult choice, but I’m going to have to go with accepting your offer.” I joked.

Matt smiled at my joke as we both stepped in, ready to face Yolei, Davis, Kari and T.K.
♠ ♠ ♠
BIG thanks to Kitty Got Clawz for ALWAYS commenting each part. Thanks a lot, means a lot to me :)