Sweet Child Of Mine

Part Thirty One

Matt's POV

"Alex! Come on!" I yelled from my place at the bottom of the stairs. It's been around a month since Alex has started dating that Jay. He seems alright, but no one is ever going to be good enough for my little girl. Alex and I were going to spend some quality time together today. With Alex being in school and me and the guys writing the new record, we never really got to 'hang out' with each other.

"Alright! Alright!" Alex replied, starting to descend down the stairs. "Don't get your knickers in a twist!" Val, who was sitting in the living room, snickered and tried to cover it up with a cough. I glared at her as Alex finally made her way to the bottom of the stairs. "So, where are we going?" Alex asked.

I picked up my car keys and shrugged. "I dunno. How about get a bite to eat and just drive around?"

Alex smiled,snatched the keys from me and quickly ran out to the car. "I call shotgun!" She yelled.

I glanced out the door with a confused expression. "It's only us two going...Strange child..."

"Like her father." Val butted in, standing next to me. "Have fun." She quickly pecked my lips.

"Will do." I kissed her back. "See you later." With that I headed out to the escalade, got in the drivers seat, took the keys from Alex and started the car.

After getting something to eat, Alex and I found ourselves sat near the large lake in the park, with ice-creams in hand. Only we were there, which was surprising, as the park can get pretty busy at times.

Sitting on the grass, I held a small ice-cream cone in my hand while Alex, who was sat next to me, had to go one better and had a large cone with everything. I swear she could eat like there was no tomorrow.

"So how's things in school?" I asked, finishing off my cone.

"Pretty good I suppose. None of those jocks bother me anymore because Jay and I are going out." She paused and looked at me from the corner of her eye. "Or maybe it's because you and all the guy picked me up from school that one day..." She snickered.

I grinned to myself remembering that day. I found out that Alex had been getting some trouble off a few kids at her school, so we all decided to pick her up and meet these kids.

"-I must admit. It was kinda funny when they thought Johnny was the same age as us." Alex continued to say, as she looked at her ice-cream. "The look on those stupid jocks faces when you, Brian, Jimmy and Zacky got out the car was priceless. They looked like they were going to shit themselves!" She laughed.

"Well I'm glad that they stopped bothering you. I would have done whatever I had to to stop them." I stated.

"Dad!" Alex groaned finishing her ice-cream. "Your starting to sound like a girl! Shut up!" She laughed.

I raised my eyebrows at her. "I'm serious though Alex. I would have done anything to stop them. Hell...I do anything for you no matter what! I'll always be here for you." I looked down at her with my hazel eyes. "I'll never leave you. Okay...so the past ten years you were taken from me, but I'm making up for lost time. I won't lose you. So not matter what you do, I'll always love you..."

Alex remained silent, as if taking in all the words I had just spoke to her. "Even if I kill someone?" She said childishly, the infamous Sanders smirk gracing her angelic face.

I couldn't help but chuckle. "Yes," I nodded, wrapping my arm around her shoulder, pulling her into a sideways hug. "Even if you kill someone."

She moved her head to look up at me, with that same smirk. "...What if I broke your sunglasses..."

"Okay now you pushing your luck kid." I laughed, playfully shoving her away from me, so she was sat up.

"It means alot though Dad." She picked at her converse covered feet. "What you just said. It means so much for me to hear you say that. And just so you know I feel the same." She added on a serious note.

I smiled softly at her. "I'm glad that you act so grown up for your age Alex. Your very smart, beautiful and will always be my little girl. Just remember that." I pressed a soft kiss to her forehead. She wrapped her arms around my waist and we had, what many would call, a 'father daughter' moment.

We remained silent for the next 15minutes, before I remember one of the reason why I wanted to spend some time with just Alex today. Something important.

"Alex." I started, drawing in a slightly shaky breath. "I'm going to ask you something...And I want you to promise that you will answer as honestly as you can. Don't lie to me because you know I'll know. Just please be honest."

I felt Alex's body become still for a moment. She seemed to be holding her breath. My guess was that she was afraid of what I was going to say, when really, I was afraid of her answer.

"Okay...." She dragged out slowly and in barely whispered.

I felt out a breath. "Your the first person I've talked to about this. The reason being, is that you are my everything, if your not happy with something, I'm not." I paused, thinking quickly how to word what I was going to say. "Your my number one girl. Just remember that. As far as I'm concerned you are my world, okay?"

She nodded against my side. But didn't say anything.

"Okay, here it goes." I nodded to myself. "Alex...what would you say if....if Val became a permanent member of our family? What would you say if I asked Val to marry me?"

This time when a silence fell, it felt as though it was filled with tension which made me nervous. Alex had even flinched and due to her head being by my side, I couldn't see her face.

"I-It's not for definite. I-I mean, I haven't asked her yet! I wanted you know how you would feel about it before I did anything." I rambled quickly, as words just spilled for my lips.

Alex pushed herself from my side and sat up slowly. I still couldn't see her face. She brought her knees up to her chest and folded her arms on top of them, as she looked out at the lake.

"Alex?" I said softly, touching her shoulder ever so slightly.

"I'm the first person you asked about marry Val?" She repeated, I answered with a soft yes, withdrawing my hand. "Dad?" She turned her head to face me and I looked back at her.

"As far as I'm concerned...." She paused, biting her lip ever so slightly. "Val is already my mother. I'd love nothing better for you two to get married."

A huge, and I mean huge, shit eating grin appeared on my face. "Oh Honey you have no idea how much that means to me." I reached out and pulled Alex into bone crushing hug. Feeling Alex wrap her arms around me tightly just made me feel even more proud of my daughter.

Tear formed in my eyes as I kissed the top of Alex's head. "I love you so much baby girl." I hiccuped.

"I love you too." Alex said, pulling back from the hug, also wiping her tear lined eyes. "Hey," she playfully shoved me. "Tough guys don't cry." She teased, sniffling slightly.

I shook my head, reaching out to wipe away Alex's tears. "But fathers do."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, this was a soppy chapter and honestly my person favorite as I based this on a talk I had with my father.
He asked me before everyone, how I would feel if he asked my step mother to marry him.
Like in this I loved nothing more than her to be part of the family.
So, yeah, that's why I have added this part.

My step mum rules too and the whole, your always be my number one thing is what she told me while we were on vacation. She said no matter what, I'll always be my fathers number one...so yeah...I cried when she said that.
My family rules... Just so you know

Enjoy.
x