Status: To better understand some of the characters, read Bedtime and Awake, in which the characters appear in a timeline previous to the one in this story.

Desired

7:23

"I was raped"

His face contorts into shock, pity, then angry.
"Tonight? Who was it? I'll find that son of bi- "No"

I cut him off, leaning back into my seat, head lulling from side to side.
"It wasn't tonight, it was-you know what, it doesn't matter"
Straightening up, I wipe my dripping nose, and jam the key into the ignition, Asher lays a hand over mine though, stopping me.

"It does matter Ruby"
His voice is extremely stressed, I look at him, his eyes are wide with intensity.
"Tell me"

Letting my hand fall from the ignition, my shoulders slump.
"I was 12, my neighbor and friend, Jackson, said he could he get me into some parties, he was older, like 17. I thought it was so cool, going to the big kids parties and hanging out"
I sigh, running a hand through my hair and sniffling.
"The party was nothing like I pictured though, it was loud and dark, everyone there was on something and/or wasted. I wasn't there for very long before I wanted to leave, I went to find Jackson, but he was too far gone, so I decided to leave without him. I was walking towards the door when someone grabbed me"

I lick my lips, tasting the tears there.

"Go on"
He prompts gently.

"He took me upstairs, did his business and left"
I leave out the details, they aren't important.
Hugging my middle, my nails dig into my sides, jaw clenching.

"Have you told anyone this?"
He asks softly after a long silence.

I shake my head, beginning to sluggishly retie my corset as my head begins to pulse with the commencement of a headache.
"I just wanted to get home, forget it ever happened, and it worked, I haven't thought about it once for 4 years, till I moved to this fucking town"
I hit the steering wheel angrily.
"I swear to God, it's cursed, because ever since I got here, everything I built my life upon has been shot to hell"
I pull at the loose treads of my holes ripped in my jeans, a few more arbitrary, stray tears slip out, the denim absorbing them immediately.

"That can't be true"

"It is"

It becomes quiet, only the faint, muffled pop music from the party can be heard.
Wiping my eyes one more time, my hands return to the key resting in the ignition, twisting it, listening to the car wake up.
"I-I just want to get out of here"

"You're in no condition to drive, let me"

After a minute of stillness, I stiffly open the car door, climbing out.

After we switch, Asher pulls the car out onto the road, and I curl up into a ball, leaning against the passenger side door.
"Don't take me home"
I say, not looking at him.

"Are you sure? I think you shou- "I can't go home like this, I need to clear my mind for awhile"
I cut him off, rolling my head back onto the cold glass of the window.

"Where then?"

*X*

"Ruby, are you positive this is where you want to be?"
Asher asks uneasily, looking out at the lake from the small parking lot, all paces empty except the one we sit in.
The great ball of light in the ebony sky reflects in the immense pool of water beautifully.
The wooded area around us is a shrouded in darkness.

"Yes, Asher, I'm positive"
I stare hypnotically off onto the lake, pretending we're the only two people in the world, and I don't have think or worry about anything else.

And this is how it stay's for a long time.
No talking, no crying, no thinking.
Just peace.

The moon slowly creeps across the sky from the west, towards the east.
Finally, I glance over to Asher to see him fast asleep, his face child like in his slumber.

Wanting sleep, but not wanting to disturb his, I quietly and carefully crawl into the backseat.
Laying down on my side, my face scrunches up with discomfort as the boning of my corset prods my body. I undo the laces completely, arching my back off the seat, pulling it off and tossing it on the floor.
Rolling onto my stomach, my hand searches blindly for the jacket I left here two weeks ago. Finding the black garment, I slip it on, zipping it up and stretching out on my side.

My body relaxes into the leather and my mind blanks out as I fall unconscious.

*X*

The white light filtering through the overcast sky stings my eyes as I open them, making me blink and put my hand up as a shield.

Once they adjust, I find myself looking up at the ceiling of my parents car.
I remember every detail of last night, every horrible, stressful detail.

Yet the only think I can focus on is the pain in my side.
Groaning and sitting up, I rub the aching spot.
Looking back, I see it's a seat belt buckle that's the culprit.

I crawl back into the front seat, finding Asher the same way I left him.
Placing a hand on his shoulder, I give him a gentle shake.

"Asher, it's morning"

His face screws up and shrinks back.
"Already?"

"Yeah, I need to get home, my parents are no doubt wigging out"
My eyes dart to the clock on the dashboard, 7:23.
This won't be good...

He nods, rubbing his eyes and starting up the car.
"My mom is probably doing the same"

We go back to the house where the party was last night, so Asher can get his car and head home.
The rough pavement is icy cold as I step out onto the street from the passenger seat, but I ignore it, stretching my stiff limbs.

"Well last night was...something different then I expected, but I'm glad you talked to me"
Asher says, pulling me into a hug as I arrive on the other side of the car.

"Yeah, it was relief to finally tell someone"
I burrow my face in his shirt, arms wrapped around his middle tightly, I listen to his heart beat steadily.
It's comforting and calming.

Pulling away, I stuff my hands in the pockets of my jacket, looking down at my feet.
"I guess I'll see you later"

"I guess so"
He murmurs, not moving, neither to I.
Biting my cheek, I look around the empty, quiet street.

"Well, bye"
He slowly takes a stride towards his car across the street.

"Bye"
I give a small wave, before finally forcing myself to open the drivers door and getting inside, not allowing myself to look at him.

*X*

I unlock and open the front door as noiselessly as I can, slinking inside.

"Young woman, where in the world have you been?!"

Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to good morning, Hell's.Angel, and Wanderlust. :)