Status: To better understand some of the characters, read Bedtime and Awake, in which the characters appear in a timeline previous to the one in this story.

Desired

Peculiar.

I zip up the back of my favorite purple dress.
It hugs my body tautly, the neck line falling down to show off just enough cleavage, the hem falling mid thigh to show off just enough leg.

I grab my black, classic pumps, sliding them on my stocking covered feet.

I stand in front of the mirror, one hand perched on my hip, the other playing with a strand of my loosely curled dark brown hair.

I have to look perfect tonight, tonight we are going to dine with the Porters and their handsome son.

My makeup is done dramatically, hollows of the eyes accentuated with a smokey brown shadow, lashes curled and coated with ebony mascara.
My lips don a pinkish-plumb, matte lipstick.
A touch of light bronzer highlighted my cheekbones does the finishing touch.

"Ruby! We're leaving! Come on!"

Upon hearing my mothers call, I seize my black clutch, tossing my pack of cigarettes and silver lighter in along side my lipstick and compact.

I exit my room with a sway in hips and high expectations of the out come of this evening.

*X*

The inside of the Porters house is warm and inviting.
The delicious smell of dinner wafting through the air, the soft sound of Bing Crosbys' voice dancing along with it.

All four of the adults and I sit in the living room, Blake and Goldilocks Farrah no where to be seen.
They sip wine, I receive ginger ale, and talk about this thing and that.

"My, my Lucy, your daughter is simply stunning"
Sky Porter says, smiling brightly at me.
I smile and blush, even though I hear this about every time we go anywhere.

"I know she is, and your Farrah is quite beautiful also I must say"

Dragging my finger around the rim of my glass, boredom begins to take over.

At the sound of footsteps, I glance up to see Blake and Farrah coming downstairs.
She's dressed in a vintage style, beige frock. He's clad in dark jeans, a blue T-shirt, and just like a few days ago, his hair is messy and delicious.

"Well that took you long enough to get ready" Laughs their mother "Now introduce yourselves to our guests"

Farrah hesitantly steps forward, shaking my parents hand, mumbling a "Hi I'm Farrah, nice to meet you" quietly.
Boy, is this girl timid.

When she got to me, I noticed that at close range, her face looks awfully familiar.

I wonder if we've met before...

Blake greeted us next, he was obviously more energetic about things than his sister, and believe me, that doesn't take much.

*X*

Dinner goes over dryly enough, once in a while Mrs. Porter will ask me a question, including me in conversion, even though I really don't care much about the technical system of homeschooling or the old town I lived in.

I hear the cigarettes in my clutch calling out louder and louder as the evening progresses.

"Excuse me for a moment, but I need a bit of air"
I say politely, smiling as I get up and exit quickly through the front door.

The night is refreshing, sweet and clear as I sit down on their porch swing, lighting up.
I breathe in the smoke and it is even sweeter and more refreshing then the nights' air.

Leaning my head back, I exhale in a sigh, my eye tracing the patterns of the stars.

"I see I'm not the only one who's addiction can't even last till after dessert"
I turn my head swiftly to see Blake standing there, an unlit cigarette perched in his fingers.
"Spare a light?"

"Happy to"
I smirk, holding out my lighter.
He hands it back a moment later once he's done.

Walking over to the edge of the porch, he stares up at the sky.
"So, beautiful night isn't it?"

Hmm, I wonder how long it will take me to break him...

"Oh yes, very beautiful"
I stand, sauntering over to him.
"I love night, my best memories happened at night"

He tenses and moves away a few inches.
"Ya know, you don't quite seem like the type of girl to be a secret smoker"

"There's lot of like of things I do, that most people wouldn't guess I would and I bet you might like a few of them"
I rest my hand on his shoulder gently.

I feel his muscles contract and he tosses his cigarette to the floor, stepping on it.
"I gotta go"
He mutters shortly, hurrying inside.

Taking another drag, I stare through the window at him as he sits back down next to his sister a strange look on his face, like...guilt.

Rejecting me-which a man hasn't done in ages-then running back to his sister guiltily, the same sister I swear I saw him kissing a few days ago.

Peculiar indeed...
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it took so long to update, and I'm very sorry :(

Huge thanks to TheStruggle, Hell's.Angel, kids in love., Humanoid.Bibliophile and B R E A T H E :)