Status: To better understand some of the characters, read Bedtime and Awake, in which the characters appear in a timeline previous to the one in this story.

Desired

Bikini.

Today it's 105 out, a record for this summer so far, and today of all days the air conditioner decides to quit working.
Leaving everyone to swelter slowly, but I won't have it.

I yank off my top and shorts, tear off my bra and pull off my underwear.
Sifting through the top drawer of my dresser, I find my 50's style high waisted, red polka dot bikini.
After putting it on, I slip an oversized t-shirt over it.

Hurrying downstairs, and rushing out the door, I yell a quick "Going to the lake, bye!" before slamming the door behind me.

The sun beats down on me as I jog down the sidewalk.
It's only a 25-30 minute walk to the lake, I can make it...

But as the heat starts to really get to me and my body moves slower and my breathing becomes shallower, I figure something out.

I can't make it.

I stop, wiping the sweat from my face.
I look forward, in the direction of the lake and then backwards, in the direction of my home.
I'm almost exactly in between the two, but I can't seem to make myself move towards either.

So little choices and so little energy...

Groaning, I decide to push forward, to the lake.
As I walk, I notice how thirsty I am and find myself trying to save enough spit in my mouth, so I can hopefully dampen my sandpaper lined throat.
It doesn't work.

"Hey!"
I turn to see a familiar car driving at the same pace I'm walking.
"You need a ride?"
Blake squints out at me through the sunlight.

"Depends, which way ya heading?"
I call back, using my hand as a sun visor.

"Down to sports shop in St. Mitchell, past the lake"

"Well that's good, since I'm going to the lake"

"Get in"

Running, the black asphalt burns like hot coals every step of the way, I jerk the passenger door open and throw myself inside.
I am immediately hit by an icy blast of A/C from the vents.

I sigh in pleasure, my body relaxing in the radically different climate.
"Man is it ever hot out"

"Your telling me"
Blake replies shaking his head.
"Praise God for working air conditioning"

"Yeah, maybe for you"
I roll my eyes.
"Ours broke down this morning, which is why I was heading towards the lake"

"Wow, talk about your tough luck"
He mutters glancing over at me, I can't help but notice that his eyes flicker to my legs, which now that I'm sitting, the oversized t-shirt has ridden up to the tops of my thighs.
But the moment he sees me looking at him, he snaps his head back to the road, fingers tightening on the steering wheel.

"You know, it's not very good to be outside in mid day like...that, bad sun rays and everything. Maybe I should just take you home"

"And die of heat stroke in that oven of a house?"
I question, eye brow raised.

"O-Oh yeah, forgot about that..."
He trails of into silence for awhile.
A very uncomfortable silence.

"So"
I start, not being able to take the quietness any longer.
"Why are you going to a sports shop in St. Mitchell?"

"Oh I just got a job as manger there"

"Well that's neat, I'll have to stop by there sometime, see how great you runs things"

"That's be nice"
He answers blankly just as we pull into the little parking lot besides the lake.
"Have fun"
He smiles weakly.

"Oh believe me"
I yank the t-shirt off, opening the door.
"I will"
With that I climb out, shutting the door behind me.

I race to the shadier part of the lake, away from most the families, were the water is muckier, but much cooler in the shade of the trees that grow so near.

*X*

I turn the corner onto my street, sunset to the back of me.
The evening breeze against my wet bathing suit and hair makes me shiver slightly.
Funny how things work out, on the way to the lake I was blistering hot, now I'm chilly in the dusk atmosphere.

Already I see a few fireflies here and there.
A few people sit out on their porch, chatting and enjoying the nice evening air.
As luck would have it, the Porters are one of the families out for the night and as even better luck would have, they noticed me.

Mrs. Porter calls to me, waving me over.
Looking both ways, I dart across the street.

"Hey sweetie, have fun at the lake? Blake told us he gave you a ride"
She says, smiling happily.

I glance over to see Asher, Blake and Farrah standing to one side away from Mr and Mrs. Porter and some other woman I don't know.

As she usually is when I see her, Farrah looks very unpleased by my appearance.
I wonder what her deal is, it's not like I've ever done anything to wrong her...

"Yes I had a lot of fun, of course I probably wouldn't have made it if your wonderful son hadn't given me a lift. I hope someday I can repay the favor"

Everyone, but Asher and Blake, seems oblivious to real meaning behind my words.
Blake looks at me for a minute then away, the muscles in his jaw clenching.

"Oh I just remember something, I was going to ask your mother, but she just seems so busy these days. Would you mind coming over and pet sitting our cat for a few days while we go out of town?"
Question Mrs. Porter suddenly.

"I didn't know you had a cat"
I state curiously, crossing my arms and shifting my weight from one leg to the other.

"We just got her actually, a few days ago, we'd take her with us if we could"

"Where ya'll going?"
I ask, cocking my head to the side slightly.

"Down to Ocean City for my brothers wedding, will you do it? I can pay you like 15 dollars"
She offers kindly.

"Oh you don't need to pay me, I'll do it for free, just tell me where everything is and I'll take care of her"
I reply, grinning.

After being shown were everything is that I'll need to take care of 'Fuzz', I run into Blake, smoking alone at the end of their drive as I'm leaving

"I really do mean it when I say I'd like to reply the favor, just call me and I'll be there"
I smirk, pushing some damp locks of hair from my face.

"I really don't think that's necessary"
He mumbles shaking his head.

"Well I do, so please accept"
I step closer, looking up into his eyes.
"You will not be disappointed"

"I really don't think that's a good idea"

"Why not? You gotta a girlfriend?"

His eyes widen, like a child being caught with his hand in the cookie jar and he shakes his head.
"N-No, nothing like that"

"Good"
I lean up and kiss the corner of his mouth before turning and walking away.

I can't believe this, I've always had boys lusting after me and begging me to go out with them, and I never had to try to do anything to get their attention, but in this damn town, I'm the one that's going after the boys and they just flat out are rejecting me right left and backwards.
I've gone from being desired to being a slutty doormat within the course of a few weeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Took me freaking forever to write this, I had horrid writers block, but now it's gone and I'm free to write chapters quickly again :)

Thanks to Augustana, Cameloparadis, kids in love., kaelxsaid and Hell's.Angel :)