Status: Active.

Look Alive, Sunshine

Bingo, Canasta, and Make-overs

I raised an eyebrow as I walked into the living room to find my mom dancing around to Power of Love by Huey Lewis while she cleaned. “I should really start finding stuff to do after my after school activities,” I said walking up behind her causing her to jump.

“God Harley, how many times have I told you not to do that?” She said with her hand over her heart, as she walked over to our stereo to turn it down.

I smiled, “Sorry, but what brings on the good mood?” I asked as I threw my stuff on to the coffee table and flopped down on the couch.

“I have news for you and your brother for when he gets home.”

I narrowed my eyes at her. The last time my mom was this excited about something was when we moved to New Work, and the time before that she started singing lessons to whoever wanted them.

And let me tell you, that was a nightmare.

Don’t get me wrong, my mother has an amazing singing voice but when it comes to the students she chose to teach, was when Jeremy and I started to invest in finding really good earplugs. “What did you do this time? If you decided to teach people to play instruments, I’m moving to Boca with Gram and Gramps.”

She laughed and sat down next to me and laughed, “Oh really?”

I nodded, “Yup, I can help Grams run Bingo night, or Canasta night…” trailed off, “OH! Or maybe I can give all the ladies make-overs!”

She laughed again, “Now wouldn’t your grandmother love that.” She stood up and stretched, “But you won’t be living with my parents anytime soon,” and with that she disappeared up the stairs.

I stared after her for a moment before getting myself to follow her, “Then what is it?” I asked once she was in view, and that’s when she started to sing as she was about to go in to her bedroom. “Aw come on mom!” All she did was turn around, kissed the top of my head, and close the door in my face.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes, as I turned and walked back down the stairs just as my brother walked through the front door.

“She has news doesn’t she?” He asked as he put his stuff down next to the door.

I nodded, “However could you have guessed?” I asked flopping back down on the couch and turned on the TV and started to flip through the channels.

"Here's a story, of a lovely la-"

"Now add two cups of sug-"

"Who lives in a pineapple un-"

"Later on the 6 o'clock news.."

"Sweet Sixtee-"


After going through all of 300 channels about three times I gave up, and settled for food network. Have you ever noticed that whenever there’s nothing on TV you end up doing one out of three things, watching the Food Network, Infomercials’, or just shutting it off all together.

After two episodes of Unwrapped, my mother decided to scare the crap out of Jeremy and myself by dropping a big box of papers on the floor. “First, Harley would you be a doll and turn that off?” I did is I was told and let her continue, “You see this right here…” She gestured towards the box, “This is going to be our new life, and you are going to be happy and like it.” She finished with a smile.

Jeremy and I looked at each other with worried expressions, “Please tell me that this ‘new happy life is going to stay in New Work.” Jeremy said staring at the box.

“Jer, this is mom we’re talking about…” I said lightly, even though I was hoping the same thing. But this is our mother we’re talking about…

My mother sighed and sat in-between the two of us, “Sorry to say, but we’re moving back to my home town, good ol Lima Ohio!”

Oh for the love of all things holy…
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah it's short, and might be a few grammar errors.
Oh and I promise that it wont be cliche with the new girl joining glee club :)

but tell me what you think?