Whatever You Say

OUT

“What? What are yo—”

“Damn! I hate when losers turn dumb. Should I say it in Spanish to make you understand? You fuckeo Erina. I was looking for you all over the damn school just to make you regret it.”

My breath got caught up. “Whe—Ted, that’s ridiculous. She would never give me the time of da—”

“But she did,” he interrupted once again, slamming his hand in one of the lockers behind me. I flinched in response. “And what a fucking great time you must’ve had at Skyler’s party.” He slammed the locker again. “Everyone around is spreading the news of your doing around school like butter on a toast.”

I tried to defend myself with another lie. “I don’t know where you heard that—”

But he didn’t let me. “It’s all over campus, Loser. Everyone knows how you took advantage of my girl that night. I swear I could just rip that flimsy flesh of yours with—”

Yo— “Your girl?”

His expression turned soft for a second, but just for a second before snapping at me again. “Yeah, the price I have to pay is not giving a fuck about her doings.”

“But this will be considered g—”

“Shut up, Baka.” At least he got that one right in another language. “Just…” Then as if things were not weird enough for me, he started slapping himself across the cheeks over and over again repeating “idiot” every time.

“Teddy.” He looked up, his nostrils about to explode from the air being pushed from them. I tried to choose my words carefully, so I could avoid getting seriously injured by Teddy’s strong force. “I can assure you I am truly sorry for what happened, but you have to hear my version of the story. I’m not one of those people wh—”

Teddy made a shift and I braced myself, but instead, he just walked away, leaving me completely confused, in utter shock and somewhat torned emotionally.

I followed to the exit, Teddy already gone from sight and I walked down to someone who just had to listen to me and understand once and for all.

I walked through the hall, glares fighting with me and whispers being thrown around. I stopped in the exact middle of it when I saw her. “There you are,” I whispered to myself and as if she had heard me, her eyes found mine.

At first she seemed scared, but then a sly smile carried her and as the P.E. teacher walked beside her, she took his megaphone into her mouth.

She tested it, a loud shriek filling the hallway. “Hear Ye, Hear Ye!” Everyone instantly paid attention to The Queen Bee, including the P.E. teacher who only looked a little annoyed. “I have no fucking clue who started that seriously ridiculous rumor about me and…The Loser, but I do have something to say about it, even if most of the times I don’t give a fuck about what all of you say about me.”

She paused to clear her throat and I was pretty sure I knew what she was going to say next, so I braced myself. I looked to my right and found Susanne, clutching her glasses in her hands. She looked like she had been crying and I wanted to walk up and talk to her, but Éirin’s words stopped me from doing so.

“There’s simply no way I would waste my time screwing”—her words made me flinch—“around with such people way below me and”—then her eyes stared mine—“I’m really sorry your little brain got stuck in such horrid fantasies, though it must be a gracious one instead of horrid, considering I’m in it. I mean, horrid being the part about you and me.

“I’m flattered, but you’re just not my type.” Some of the students laughed lowly at that. “Guess that mixture of Adderall, Xanax and other shit you and your teammates from the Swimming Team have been taking to get a win has finally messed up with you head.” As everyone around me gasped, I looked at Susanne who was already staring shockingly at Éirin. We exchanged a hurt look for a second. I shook my head, but she looked away. Éirin then proceeded with her rant, gasping innocently. “Did I just say that out loud through a megaphone in the middle of the hallway who happens to be filled with most of the students of Feltch High School, including some of your teammates? Oops!” Just as she laughed cynically, the principal appeared, snatching the megaphone away from Éirin.

“Members of the Swimming Team, including Coach Rivers, in my office—now…”