Status: Still Working On It

Memorial

02

“Tay!” I said, looking for my roommate and best friend, Taylor Davis. I walked into the living room of the small house that we were renting.

“M in the kitchen, love.” She said loud enough for me to hear, but not to wake, Delilah.

I walked into the kitchen to see her, pouring herself a mug of coffee. I raised an eyebrow. “Coffee?” I asked walking over to the cabinets, and grabbing a glass.

“Aye, we’re all outta tea.” She commented, taking a sip while looking down at her phone. I nodded walking over to the sink and getting some water.

I looked over at her; she wasn’t in her pajamas. She was wearing a plain grey tank top, with a black sweater that was a little loose. She also had on a flowery ruffle skirt on that stop right above her knee and was over her shirt. Her brown hair was in beautiful ringlets of curls and she had her bangs pushed to the side. And finally to complete her outfit she had a flower headband place perfectly on her head. She looked like a vintage model.

“Why are you dressed?” I asked taking a sip of water and placing it on the counter behind me. I leaned up against it.

She looked down at her clothes, then at me. “I ‘ave to go to work early today.” She shook her head. “The models wan’ to leave at 12!” She mumbled. “S’ like they think I ‘aven’t got a life.” She sighed and grabbed a muffin of the island in the middle of the kitchen, take a bite of it.

I giggled slightly. “But you don’t.”

She gasped and looked at me surprised. “Shut it!” I laughed. “I ‘ave too got a life!”

“L-liar!” I said giggling. She glared and threw her muffin at me. I squealed and dropped to the ground dodging the muffin. I started to crawl around, towards the doorway.

“Take it back” She shouted.

“NEVER!” I giggled, as more muffins few at me.

I heard her grunt, and then I shouted feeling a pain to my bum. I fell onto my stomach and rolled onto my back, holding my bum. I looked up to see Taylor standing on the island, a basket of muffins in her arms, ready to fire. I looked at her wide eyed.

“You hit my bum!” I said in disbelief.

She smirked, “Aye, I did.” She took a bit of the one in her hand.

“You evil midget!” I shouted. She stopped chewing the muffin in her mouth.

She started throwing more muffins at me. “‘M of average size!” She said her mouth still full. I laughed covering my face with my arms as I was showered with the muffins. I moved my arms slightly to see she had run out of ammo. I sat up and brushed off the bits and pieces of muffin from my pajamas.

I shook my head, and more muffins fell as my pigtails whipping my shoulders. I looked up at her. “You’re going to have to pick this up.” I said placing my hands on my hips.

Her mouth dropped. “WHA’!” She shouted, she jumped down from the island. “Yer goin’ to help meh.” She said

I laughed. “Nope, I got to go and change and go out running.”

She scuffed, “Why can’t yeh be like a normal lass an’ go to the gym?” She grumbled, beginning to pick up the muffin pieces.

I rolled my eyes. “Because I don’t like getting undressed by all of the lads in the gym with their eyes.” I said and she flipped me off. “And it’s not like Jack the Ripper is out here in Sheffield.” I giggled. “He’s from London.” That had been her excuse to not running with me during the summer and going to the gym. It had been a real laugh.

“Ooh, shut it!” She shouted as I skipped out of the kitchen and back to my room. I giggled and closing the door and walked passed my bed, to my closet. I pulled out a black pair of running short and a grey sports bra. I tugged off my pajamas, and slipped on the running clothes. I grabbed a random sweatshirt and tossed it on my bed, before walking into my
small bathroom.

I sighed when I looked in the mirror. I had muffin crumbs in my hair and on my face. I pulled my pig tails out and ran a brush through my long hair. Before pulling it up into a pony tail, then I quickly used the loo. Once I was done with that I brushed my teeth, washed my face and walked back into my room. I grabbed pair running shoes, slipping them on my feet and grabbing my sweater, IPod and Phone. I walked out of my room once I was ready and walked out the front door, give Tay a good bye.

Every morning was the same, minus the muffin tossing. I got up, got a drink, then changed and went on a 2 mile run, through Sheffield. It helps me clear my head. It was like a therapy for me, kept my mind off of him, my parents, my adopted parents, my problems and worries. Just like the rest of the things I did to keep myself busy.

Teaching at the dance studio during the week and volunteering at the youth center a few times during the month. I had no time to think about anything else. But it let me help people so it was doing some good for others as well.

I stopped, running looking around myself. I was in a small part of town that I hadn’t been too in a long time. I started walking down the street, looking for a building that I had gone to everyday. I smiled when I saw it. The same café that I had spent a majority of my time in was still there and open. The Tea Palace, shown in bright letters in the dim window. I unwrapped sweatshirt from my waist and slipped it on.

I made my way over to the doors, walking in. The smell of chocolate and vanilla filled my nose. I smiled even wider; those scents were so familiar to me; so calming. I pulled the head phones out of my ears and placed them into my sweat shirt pockets.

“PAYTON?!” I turned to see, the owner sitting at one of the tables. “Payton Paquette, is tha’ yeh?” She stood up smiling.

A smile spread over my face. “Ms. Sheehan!” I walked over to the table where she was and gave her a hug. The elderly women hugged me back; I smiled at her cinnamon sent. This woman was one of the best things in my life. She was like a grandmother to me; she treated me like one of her own.

“Bloody ‘ell!” She said holding me out at arm’s length. “Would yeh look at tha’?” She clicked her tongue in her mouth. “All grown up.” She smiled at me.

I smiled and hugged her again. “Oh, Ms. Sheehan, I’ve missed you!”

She chuckled and pulled back, pulling me over to the table where she was sitting. “If yeh would ‘ave come ‘round more often, ‘hen yeh wouldn’t ‘ave missed meh.”

I shook my head sadly, sitting in the chair across from her. “I’m sorry.” I leaned back in the chair. “I just kind of, had to have some time to myself.” I mumbled. I played with the small beaded bracelet that Lilly had given me yesterday.

“Four an’ a ‘alf years?” She raised an eyebrow at me. “S’ long, time love.” I scrunched up my eyebrows. Four years? Really? It hadn’t seemed that long. It seemed like maybe a year had passed. I looked up at her sadly.

“I’m sorry,” I said softly. “I-i...” I stopped myself. What should I say? That I was too heartbroken to get out of bed for weeks? And that back then I was too scared to come back to my favorite place because it had memories of him? I was staring at my hands trying to think of what to say.

She grabbed both my hands, and I looked up at her. “S’ o’reight, dear.” She said, softly. “I understand wha’ ‘s like.” She moved her hand too my cheek, whipping away tears, that I hadn’t realized I was crying. I moved my hands up to my cheeks and wiped away the tears with my hands. She held out a tissue for me and I took it thanking her.

She smiled at me patting the table a few times. “Tha’ doesn’t matta no more. S’ the past, we’re in the future now an’ tha’s wha’ mattas.” I smiled at her wiping the last of my tears away. “So love, tell meh wha’s been happen in yeh life the last few years.”

I smiled, laughing slightly, and began to tell her about everything that I’ve been doing, since High School. Once i was done she looked at me impressed.

“Wow!” She said amazed. “Dancin’?” I nodded sheepishly. “I never knew yeh liked dancin’ Pay.”

I shrugged, “I never really thought I was any good at it.”

She chuckled. “Well yeh’ll have to let meh watch yeh dance sometime. Yea?” I smiled and nodded.

I felt my pocket vibrate. I pulled out my phone to see I had a new text message.
From: Thing2
WHERE R U?


I sighed and quickly replied back.

To: Thing2
Relax Dee. I’m out on run; I’ll be back in about an hour.


I placed my phone back in my pocket. I smiled back up at Ms. Sheehan.

“Yeh got to be leavin’ soon, huh?” she asked, her old grey eyes, looking a bit sad. I nodded, frowning a bit. She sighed then smiled slightly, “I let yeh leave on, one condition.”

I giggled, “And what’s that?” I asked

“Yeh come back soon to visit meh.” A grin appearing on her old face.

I smiled and nodded. “Of course.”

“Lo, Tom.” I frooze for a second, before I turned my head to see, Tom Sykes walking up to the counter.

He smiled slightly at the girl behind the counter. “Lo, Rose.” He mumbled, fumbling with his wallet trying to get the money.

I looked back over to Ms. Sheehan. “Tom still comes here.”

She nodded. “Both Sykes boys do.” She stated. “They don’ talk to meh, much anymore but they still come.” I looked back at Tom. He had been my best friend when I was still in school. When I first moved here all the way from California, after my parents had died, I was so out of place in and out of school. But Tom had been there to stick up for me. As we got to know each other more we kind of became each other’s, other half. He was my best friend and I was his best mate. “Ave yeh talked to either of ‘em?” I shook my head.

“Ms. Sheehan!” A small teenage girl was standing in the door way that lead to the back. My head turned to look at the small girl. “E’s at it again!”

She sighed. “Bloody bugger!” She got up from her seat, walking over to the door. She looked over her shoulder. “’M be back before, yeh ‘ave to leave, Pay!”

“Alright.” I said back, sitting in my chair, looking around the shop. Everything was almost the same; the colors of the walls, the overstuffed couch in the corner, the tables that were set out. I smiled at it.

“Pay?” My head turned to the direction of the front counter. Tom stood there with a confused look on his face. He looked down at his coffee then, at this phone, then back at me. His face changed, and he growled and put his coffee down on the counter dialing a number on his phone.

“OLI, WHA’ THE ‘ELL DID YOU DO TO MY DRINKS?” he shouted into the phone. My eyes widened a bit at this. “BULLFUCK!” He growled. “I know yeh did somethin’! Cause I see ‘er!” He shouted. I got up from my seat and hurried over to him. “‘Err, yeh know ‘ow I’m bloody talkin’ ‘bout! P-.” I put my hand over his mouth and took his phone from his hand, snapping it shut.

“Tom, you need to quiet down, people are starring at you.” I said softly, trying to ignore the many eyes on us. I looked up into his eyes. His bright blue eyes were dull and blood shot. I felt myself frown. I sighed shaking my head and removing my hand from his mouth.

I took his hand in mine and grabbed his coffee with the other hand. I lead him over to the couch were we always used to sit. “Pay?” He mumbled, looking at me with disbelieving eyes. “It can’ be.”

“Tom, what are you on?” I asked softly. I had never thought Tom would start doing drugs too.

He shook his head, and grabbed his coffee from the table I had put it on. “Noffin.” He said quickly, too quickly. He took a gulp of his coffee. “Fuck!” He shouted, burning his mouth. He slammed the cup on the table.

I grabbed his chin, forcing him to look at me. “TOM!” I said sternly. He turned his head away, angrily. I sighed trying not to get angry at him and put my hands on either sides of his face, making him look at me again. “Tommy,” I whispered. “Please, what are you on? Tell meh!”

“Same stuff ‘m always on, Pay.” He said angrily, “But yeh wouldn’t know nothin’ bout tha’ since yeh ‘aven’t been round fer the last four years!”

My mouth dropped and I pulled my hands back. That felt like a slap to the face, but I was true. I felt my eyes water and I stood up and started to walk away. But Tom grabbed my wrist. I looked back at him to see his eyes all watery too.

“Pay, I…‘M sorry.” He said softly. “Don’ go, please.” I sat down next to him. He looked at me with his watery eyes.

I placed my hand on his cheek. “I’m sorry, Tom.” I mumbled.

“Fer wha’?” He asked.

“For blocking you out.” I said, I shook my head. “That was stupid, of me. You were my best friend.” He pulled me into a hug and I hugged him back. “I missed you, Tommy.” I mumbled into his shoulder.

His arms tightened around me. “I missed yeh too, Pay.”

“Glad to see the two of yeh are goin’ to talk again.” I pulled back from Tom to see Ms. Sheehan standing next to the couch. I smiled at her. “‘Ere yeh go love,” She held out a coffee. I took it and smiled. I placed it on the table and tried to pull my phone out to get the money I had hidden in the cover. “No, No, love.” She said stopping me. “This ones, on the ‘ouse.”

I smiled up at her. “Thank you.” She nodded and walked over to the counter. I felt my pocket vibrate.

From: Thing2
PAYTON!! I’m really hungry!! Hurry back, I can’t be left with Lily for too long!! ONE OF US MIGHT DIE!! 0_0 loljk but really hurry!


I sighed and placed my phone back in my pocket. I looked at Tom and leaned up against the back of the couch. He just starred at me. I pressed my lips together and just watched him. I could see his hands shaking slightly. My eyebrows knitted together.

I heard a muffled sound, and Tom pulled his phone out of his pocket. He answered it, placing it on his ear. “Lo?” He sighed leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees. He rubbed his temple. “Hey, Ol.” He mumbled. I couldn’t hear Oliver’s part of the conversation. “Aye, ‘m fine, Oli.” He said, I sat up and sat beside him rubbing his back. I don’t know why, but I felt like I need to comfort him. “I didn’t see anyone, Oli.” He said quickly. “Are yeh ok?” he paused. “Oliver, I think yeh need some more sleep, cause last time I called was to tell to tha’ they ‘ave new shit fer yer store.” He sighed and scratched his forehead. “Uh-huh whatever yeh say Oli. I gotta go. I’ll call yeh in a few hours.”

He snapped his phone shut and sighed leaning back into the cushions of the couch. I felt my phone vibrate telling me that I had another text. I sighed. “I got to get going, Tommy.” I mumbled. He looked up at me quickly.

“Already?” I nodded sadly. Standing up, He followed suit and we grabbed our coffees.

I walked over to Ms. Sheehan who was sitting at the same table she had been when i walked in. “I’m going to get going.” I said to her.

“Come, back soon love.” She said smiling, she stood up and hugged me, kissing my cheek. “Don’t be a stranger.” She looked at Tom. “Neither of yeh.” He nodded and we waved walking outside.

“Ow are yeh getting’ ‘ome?” Tom asked once we were outside.

I shrugged, taking a drink of coffee. “I ran here, so I’ll probably walk back.”

He shook his head. “I’ll drive yeh.” He pulled a pair of car keys out of his pocket.

My eyes widened, I looked at him. “You drove here!” I nearly screamed.

He looked at me, then down at his keys confused. “Aye, of course I did.” He said, “S’ too fuckin’ cold to walk.”

“Tom, your high and what it sounded like when you yell on the phone, you’d been drinking.” I grabbed the keys from his hand. “You could have hurt someone!”

He sighed and rolled my eyes. “I doubt it.”

I was taken aback. “Tom, you know how I feel about this stuff.” I mumbled softly. I looked up at him. “You may risk it but I’m not.” He rolled his eyes taking a drink of coffee. “Come, on.” I mumbled walking towards the parking lot.

“Where are yeh goin’?” Tom asked.

“I’m driving you,” I stopped walking and turned towards him. “You can stay at my place, till you sober up, then you can drive yourself home.” He followed me towards the parking lot and walked up to his car. I unlocked it and started it up.

As we waited for it to warm up, I pulled my phone out.

To: Thinng2
Be home, in a few and I have a friend.


I sent the text and pulled out and went towards home.
♠ ♠ ♠
woohoo!! XD I see that more people have read my story!! and i have crayolaurword to thank for that! THANK YOU!!!
Read her Oliver story, it's an amazing story x) She's a great writer! NO LIES!!
Haha umm...please comment and stuff, cuz they seriously make me happy!! x)

Taylor's Clothing
Payton's Clothing