Status: Completed on 3/17/12

Foolish

The Bored Housewife and The Negligent Husband

I was at home cleaning up the house while dinner was cooking on the stove. Today was just another long day of pretty much doing nothing. It was so boring it was kind of exhausting. I finished vacuuming the floor as my Melanie Fiona played in the background which was one of my favorite songs “It Kills Me.” How ironic. I turned off the vaccum cleaner just as I heard the front door open and closed. I knew Marcus was home.

“Melodie, where are you?” I heard him call out for me.

“In the kitchen.” I walked over to the kitchen and opened the oven to the wonderful smells of lasgna and garlic bread.

He walked in while loosening up his tie and I noticed how tired he was.

“Hey.” He said which caused me to turn to look at him just in time for him to peck me really quickly on the lips.

“Hey, dinner is almost ready.” I said while biting my bottom lip. The kiss definitely lacked passion that was there five years ago.

“I had a big lunch with a client baby but thank you. I am tired so I will be in the shower.” He said while turning to walk out of the door.

“Fine, I’ll just eat by myself like always. It’s not like you care.” I said. Usually when a woman has a husband that is 6 feet 5, 225 pounds they would be a little bit intimidated but not me. I knew Marcus would never lift a finger to me because he wasn’t crazy. He knows I would kill him while he slept.

“Mel, please let’s not fight.” I heard him say and I looked back at him before going back to prepare dinner for myself. Maybe if we fought for our marriage this wouldn’t be happening at all.

“It’s whatever Marcus. I don’t matter to you.” I said as I got the lasagna out and put the pan down. I walked over to get one plate and a fork. I felt him watching my every move and I rinsed off the plate tempted to shatter the dish.

“Melodie, please don’t be mad.” He started but I had to interrupt.

“That’s right because you make all of the money and provide for me. Marcus, I was doing my residency when you asked me out. I could have an amazing job right now but no I’m your wife. After everything I gave up you are barely home. It took five years of marriage to get to this point. Do you even love me?” I asked as I got a wine glass.

“Of course I love you. Business has been picking up lately and I’m sorry.”

“How about I make this easier for you? If you want to leave there is the front door.” I said.

“No, I am in love with you Mel.” He argued back breathing really hard that he may have broken something if I keep pushing him.

“Well if you love me so much then how about you make me a priority.” I said as slammed the glass down and surprised myself by not breaking it.

“Mel, don’t be upset. I am so sorry.” I didn’t know he was directly behind me until I felt his arms wrap around me. That’s all it took was those big caramel arms around my waist and I melted into his touch. He kissed the side of my neck and then kissed my cheek. “I love you.” He whispered in my ear.

“Go ahead and take your shower. I’ll see you upstairs.” I got out of his grasp and poured up my wine.

“Okay.” I heard his retreating footsteps as I turned my attention to the lasagna. I wasn’t really that hungry anymore so I got a small amount and put the rest away before sitting at the counter and eating.

After doing the dishes and turning off all the electricity and appliances I walked upstairs to get ready for bed. I heard Marcus on his phone. I walked into the bedroom while he sat there conducting business in just a towel.

“Yeah, that sounds great. Schedule the dinner at my wife’s favorite restaurant.” He said.
I took off my top then jeans before finding a shirt that I would be comfortable in. It was Marcus’ high school football jersey I quickly pulled it on and pulled my hair out of the messy ponytail that I had it in. I just wasn’t even in the mood for a shower. I walked into the bathroom to take off my makeup. I washed my face and saw Marcus standing behind me.

“Schedule the dinner at my wife’s favorite restaurant? What was that about?” I asked him.

“Well, a colleague wants to go to dinner and he wants his wife to meet you. I suppose he wonders if you two would hit it off.” His answer definitely disappointed me.

“Oh really?” I commented.

“Yeah, the dinner is Thursday at 7.” He said.

“Okay.” I said as I patted my face dry. “I’m going to go back and complete my residency. I am tired of being home alone and bored. Maybe if I made a difference I wouldn’t be so bitchy all of the time.”

“If that would make you happy then do it baby.” He said as he pulled on a pair of boxers.

“Well I will be doing my applications in the morning so if I’m not home just call me on my cellphone.” I told him before watching him go to the sink and brush his teeth.
I walked out of the room and pulled the covers back before getting in.

God please just give me a sign that I am supposed to stay in this marriage and manage to make it work.

Marcus crawled in behind me and pulled my back close to his chest and wrapped his arms around my waist with his hands splayed across my stomach. At least he did show some affection still.

“Goodnight Mel.”

“Goodnight to you too baby.” I closed my eyes and relaxed.