Status: So... active for me apparently means years in between, I promise that's not the case this time. I hope.

Right to Choose

Worry

I don’t know what was more worrying - how easy it was getting to lie, or how easily people were believing them. Even her. I don’t know how she didn’t pick up on it, she always knew when I wasn’t being totally honest, but she never called me out on it. I don’t know why.

***

October 17th, 2010

“Hey, are you going to be there tomorrow?” Alexis’ voice floated through the line, slightly crackly from the poor reception.

“I dunno, I guess so,” Cass whispered back into the phone, wincing slightly as she shifted on her bed.

“Why are you whispering? What’s wrong?” Her voice was laced with worry this time.

“Nothing’s wrong, it’s just late and I don’t want to wake mum up. She had a long day at work, y’know, she’s tired and all that…” Cass whispered back, crossing her fingers in her lap, hoping the line of questioning would end before it truly started.

“Oh, okay. I guess I’ll let you go then. See you tomorrow babe!” Alexis’ voice was light once more, and Cass could practically hear the smile in her voice before the line went dead.

“Yeah… tomorrow…” Cass mumbled, dropping her phone onto the bed and flopping back, biting her lip as her shoulders hit the mattress. “Hang on, did she call me babe?” Cass stared at the ceiling with wide eyes, replaying the last moment of the conversation in her head.