Status: completed :)

I'd Hate to See You Cry

20 Questions

I was amazed by her. I always had been. It was not hard to get lost in her green eyes. How could someone make you feel invincible just by simply looking over at you? I didn't understand it, but I did feel it. I felt my heart start beating like crazy when I saw her. She looked gorgeous tonight, and that was just scratching the surface. I had been planning this dinner all week, until it was almost perfect.

“Alex, what are you thinking about?” Katie asked me as she slightly tilted her head. We were sitting in one of the nicest restaurants in Baltimore.

“Um...you, actually.”

She blushed, making me smiled like a fucking idiot.

“Alex, thank you so much. This place is beautiful.”

“Only the best for my girl.” I chuckled.

“You're so weird.” She laughed.

“But you love me right?”

“No, Alex. Confession time, I'm only with you for your incredible good looks.”

“I knew it!” I feigned surprise, and playfully looked away from her.

Katie laughed, and shook her head.

“You are a different breed, Gaskarth.”

“I love you.”

“I love you.” She replied. Katie had been bubbly all night, just the way I loved her to be. When she got mad about something, it wasn't pleasant, and I really refused to go near her. But in the end of that, I ended up chasing her down, and comforting her. It was hard to stay away from her. She was like a drug to me.

“I, um, got you something.” I felt my hands slightly shaking.

“You did?” Katelyn looked completely shocked. “Alex, you didn't have to.”

I shook my head. She detested when people bought her stuff.

“Yes, I really did.” I fished the box out of my jeans pocket, and I handed it over to her. “I really wanted you to have this.” I explained. At first she hesitated to open it, but her hand finally reached up to the box. She slowly opened the box, and stared at the necklace I had bought for her.

“Alex, it's so beautiful.” She smiled. She looked so happy.

“Yeah, well I thought that since we've been dating for a month that it's time I bought you one. I mean, it's not to soon is it? I thought that a lot of guys get their girlfriends necklaces with their initial on it, right?” I was blabbering because I was so nervous. “It's not to much is it? Did I give you the necklace too soon. Oh man, I probably should have waited.”

“Alex.” Katelyn stated firmly, catching my attention. “It's perfect. I don't care if you gave it to me on our first date, or our five year anniversary, I would still love to wear it.”

I smiled like an idiot. She had calmed part of my nerves. I was a wreck.

“Really?”

“Yes.” She giggled. We finished our food, and opted for desert. We ended up sharing this big cookie with Vanilla Bean ice-cream on top of it.

“Wanna get out of here?” I asked her.

She nodded. She waved the waiter over so he could give us the check. I paid, left a tip, and then we strolled out of the restaurant hand in hand. Comfortable silence filled the air between us. I looked down at her, and I saw the necklace around her neck. I was proud of myself for picking out one that I knew she would just love.

“Stop staring, Gaskarth.” She giggled. “It's not polite.”

“I can't help it,” I replied. “It's like gravity is pulling me toward you.”

She rolled her eyes.

“Ah. Cory lines for $800, Alex.”

“Ha ha.” I replied dryly, but I ended up smiling. “It's true though.”

“You're cheesy.”

I laughed.

“So? When has that ever been a bad thing?”

“I don't know.” She laughed. I shook my head, and removed my hand for hers, only placing it around her body.

“So, how about we play a little game?”

“Like???” Katie asked me.

“Like 20 questions.”

“That is a lot of questions...”

“Okay, how about five?”

Katie was quiet for a minute.

“Why?”

“Why what?” I was confused.

“Why do you want to play five questions?” Katelyn asked me. “You already know about everything about me.”

“Because I actually have questions I want to ask you.”

“Okay.” She shrugged it off. “I get to start.”

I opened my mouth to protest, but quickly shut it.

“Alright.”

“How did you know that it was me in Best Buy that day?”

“I...um...I overheard you phone conversation.”

She only nodded. No other response.

“Why did you dye your hair?”

“Needed a change.” Katie shrugged. “Why do you have a skeleton dressed up as a skeleton on Halloween as a tattoo?”

“Because I like Halloween, and I thought it looked cool.” I replied.

“Oh...” She trailed off. “You've got question two, Alex.”

“Why did you come talk to me out in my Audi that night?”

“Because you use to be my best friend, and I was worried that I did something wrong. I didn't want to lose you because of some stupid reason. That was only the second time I had even seen you cry.”

I nodded, the memory haunting me. I wasn't a fan of that night, up until I confessed my love for her.

“Who inspired you to write Remembering Sunday?” She asked.

I dreaded telling her this story. Part of the reason is because it was hard to.

“Um...a girl.” I admitted honestly. “The song actually is a two part one.”

“Oh really?”

“Yeah.”

“Do tell.” She replied, finally wrapping her arm around my waist.

“You know that this counts as question four for you, right.”

“Sure sure.” Katie played it off. “Now, that story.”

“I was with this girl...” I trailed off. “Nothing more than friends, but I was in love with her.” I knew that she got it when she looked up at me in disbelief. “She um... she didn't love me back. We were close...”

“Me?” She questioned.

“Yupp.” I popped the p at the end. “Anyway, remember when we went to Vegas with our families that one year?”

“And we stayed in the family's condo?” Katie remembered easily.

“Yeah. Have you listened to Vegas yet?”

“Yeah...”

“Do you understand the lyrics?”

It took her a minute.

“I would have married you in Vegas if you would have given me the chance to say 'I do'?” She recited the lyrics. “Alex?”

I didn't want to talk to her about that song.

“Anyway, back to Remembering Sunday.” I quickly changed the subject. “When you hopped on the plane, and came back to Maryland, it killed me. I thought that maybe we something was going to happen. I was ready to confess my love for you.”

Katie was dead silent.

“I loved you, Alex.”

I looked down at her. Her eyes were soft, but some what cut off from the world.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that I left because I loved you.”

“Okay?” I wasn't following her to well.

“Think back Alex.” She replied. “You brought back a girl like every other day. One of the last mornings I was there, we did have sex. With the other girls, I didn't want to think about what was going on, so I ran back here.”

“Ooh.” It made since. I was silent as we aimlessly walked Melrose at night. “My turn.”

“You're right.”

“What do you wear black?” I asked, then I wished that I hadn't. She unwound her arm from around me, and slightly pulled a little further away from me. “What? What did I say?”

“Everything.”

“Katie, I didn't mean to...” I trailed off. “It's called five questions right? I was just curious.”

She nodded, then removed my arm from around her, and holding my hand instead.

I was confused my her action. We walked to my car in silence. We got in, and I drove us back to my house. I figured that I would walk her over to her house.

“Do you think that we could maybe stop being so quiet now?” Katelyn asked me.

I looked at her, shocked that she had even spoke.

“I- uh.”

“Dammit, Alex!” She shook her head. “I wear black because I'm in pain.”

Confusion consumed me.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that I wear a lot of black to express how I am feeling.” Katie replied. “I'm miserable at best, Alex.”

“But I thought...” I trailed off. I couldn't bring myself to say But I thought that you love me, and that we're happy together.

“I am happy, Alex.” tears rolled down her cheeks. “But to an extent. It's only a matter of time before we end.”

“What?” My heart broke. I hated seeing her cry, I hated that she was unhappy, and I hated that it made me feel useless.

“I'm sorry.” She sat back in the seat next to mine.

“Katie, don't cry.”

“Why not?” She snapped. I whipped away her tears, and then I pulled her in for a sweet kiss. That sweet kiss lead to a hot and heavy make out. Katelyn's hand traced a pattern on my back, sending me a thousand different emotions. But most of all, I was nervous. A girl had never had the power to make me feel like I couldn't control my own actions and reactions. I pulled her over to my seat with me, causing her to straddle me. The way that we were making out, caused various movements. I moan against her lips. That was something I usually didn't do until later in a night like this.

I felt her lips from a smirk as she lightly pulled away.

“Wanna go inside?”

I only nodded as she got off of me, and out of the car. She had her shoes in her hands we she entered my house, leaving me to followed. I quickly shut and locked my door to my Audi. I all but ran inside of my house that I shared with Rian. I shut the front door and locked it before I was being pressed against the wall. My heart beat speed up, and was nearly pounding out of my chest. Katelyn smirked before kissing me roughly. I don't know what got into her all of the sudden, but I liked it. I liked it a lot.

“L-l-let's go u-upstairs.” I stuttered. The nervousness was clear in my voice. Katelyn nodded, turning around, and biting her lip seductively for me to follow. I couldn't resist. I walked behind her like a little puppy. She was at the top of the stairs, and when I got to her, our lips were pressed against each others once more. We started shredding our clothes before we even made it down the hall way. I fumbled with my bedroom door handle, causing her to laugh. She moved me out of the way, easily opening the door, and walking in. I followed, only shutting my door, not bothering to lock it. Katelyn kissed me once more, leaving me with staggered breathing. My heart was loud in my ears.

“Alexander, it's so cute when you're nervous.” She whispered lowly in my ear.

I surrendered all control. She had distracted me from our little argument.

And for some reason, that didn't bother me like it should. I knew the morning after, I would need an explanation.

But right now, all I needed was her.

So, together, we went full speed ahead, never regretting a thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Such an awkward chapter to write....
Just saying.

- Rae <3