‹ Prequel: Ever After Never Came
Status: Up and running. Powered by your comments. =D

The Way We Talk

Say Hello To A New Way

I woke up earlier than usual for a Monday morning; about a half hour than my normal six-thirty wake up time. I felt around the nightstand for my glasses, figuring I could at least get something done with my spare time. I showered quickly and dried off, changing into an outfit deemed appropriate for the office. I pulled on my tan heels and quickly started on my hair. It never took long; the blonde curls formed on their own, leaving me with the simple task of curling a few around the barrel of the curling iron.

Make up was now second nature to me. I no longer struggled like I used to. I dusted on my eye shadow and applied black eyeliner and a few sweeps of mascara. I pulled out my gold tube of red lipstick and carefully applied it to my lips. I studied myself in the mirror. So much had changed in the past two years.

Two years. That was quite a bit of time when you thought about it. My life had changed so much. I didn’t think that I’d be working at a record label; wouldn’t have thought that I’d adjusted so well to Santa Monica, California. I didn’t think I’d ever fall in love again, or that I’d find my match on the west coast. I never expected that within two years, my whole personality would change, but it did.

I found a job as an intern at Interscope Records, moving my way up into the Artist and Repertoire division and made myself at home. Jimmy Iovine, one of the original founders and current chairman of Interscope hired me personally and even vouched for my admittance to the Interscope family.

That in itself was amazing. I had finally gotten into the music industry and I loved every minute of it. I met so many people it was insane, but I still managed to stay out of the spotlight. That was easy, who cares about the A&R girl next to Lady Gaga? No one; they just see Lady Gaga.

It hadn’t been easy; it took me a month after I ran to finally get over it enough to find a job. I still missed Jack, but I didn’t miss the pain I felt when I’d see him. Alex had tried to call me, even emailed me and tried to get through any social network. Eventually, I just deleted everything and started new; new Facebook account, new Twitter, new email, and new number. I felt bad, but I couldn’t speak to him, even if it was only over the phone. Jack, however, never once tried to contact me. Not that I knew of, at least.

In fact, I’d cut all ties with everyone from All Time Low, Vinny, Flyzik and Colussy included. Kara and I had spoken a handful of times, but after she finally heard from Lisa what I’d done, she’d stopped calling. Lisa, well, that was a different story. I visited Baltimore from time to time, only to see my family when I was certain All Time Low was out of state. But, I couldn’t guarantee that Lisa wasn’t around. Just my luck, the one day I’d gathered the courage to visit Joyce and Bassam, Lisa was there. She chewed me out in front of them both and I could just see the disappointment in Joyce’s eyes. It was quite clear that I was not welcome there anymore.

It still hurt, even after two years had passed. And it didn’t seem to be any better. I hated that I hurt Jack and that by worrying about Jack, I was hurting Alex. It was a really a vicious cycle and if I was already stressing, then it was for the best that I left when I did. I kept tabs on them thanks to the fan club I once despised. The Hustler Club had become the only way I knew what was going on without the boys knowing.

Of course, I kept that part of my life a secret because I didn’t want to retell the story of what I felt was the most embarrassing time of my life. Not even my boyfriend knew about my past, which was pretty sad, but that’s how it needed to be.

That’s right, I have a boyfriend. I met him a year after I started working at Interscope. He was one of the few recording artists I helped pick out for the label. He was the most wonderful, caring person. Of course, things weren’t easy. We had our ups and downs, but nothing compared to what I’d had with Jack. And yet, we survived. We’d been together for over a year now, and things were absolutely perfect.

I checked the clock and realized I’d been reminiscing for the past hour. I had a little under a half hour to get to work. I grabbed my purse and keys, locking the door of my apartment behind me as I pulled on my shades. The sun was out and shining blissfully on the world. I loved days like this, when the sky was clear and there was only a light breeze.

I entered the building that housed Interscope and hopped on the elevator.

“Hello, Ms. Stone,” Jeannette, our receptionist, greeted me with a smile as I walked in.

“Good morning,” I returned the smile. “I’ve told you tons of times, call me Abby. We’re friends, remember?”

Jeanette blushed a little and nodded. “Sorry. I’ll remember… I think.”

I grinned as I walked past her to my cubicle. I kicked my shoes off under the desk and pulled my feet up under me as I fired up the computer. I looked at my calendar, noting that I would be busy p until the middle of March. Then what, I wondered?

“Abigail! Can we see you in my office please?” Jimmy poked his head out of the wooden oak door that led to his office.

I nodded, and gathered my notebook and pen just in case I needed to jot down notes or something. I stood, pulling on my tan skirt and adjusting my white button down blouse. I walked over to Jimmy’s office, shutting the door behind me. I panicked internally when the CEO of UMG came into my view. Lucian Grainge, a very important man indeed, sat in one of the two overstuffed chairs in front of Jimmy’s desk, one leg casually crossed over the other. Lucian nodded slightly and waited for me to take a seat.

Was I about to get fired? Oh god, what if I’d messed up with our last client? Interscope had little tolerance for screw ups. I was sure I’d screwed up, especially when the CEO of our mother company was present. This meant something big.

“Hello,” I smiled politely as I took a seat. Jimmy rounded the corner and sat comfortably in his chair, leaning back and bringing his hands together. I smoothed out my skirt again, just so that I had something to do.

“Hello,” Lucian replied, just as politely.

“Well, you’re probably wondering what you’re doing here?” Jimmy smiled.

“Honestly, yes,” I answered, smiling nervously.

Jimmy chuckled, and leaned forward. “Actually, we have a proposition for you. We’re looking to add another band to our label, and we need an A&R person on it. This is your opportunity to climb up the ladder.”

I smiled, listening intently. Jimmy continued. “Now then, we need you to oversee the recording process with this band and give us your reports on their talent and whether they’d be compatible with Interscope.”

“Alright, that would be great. I’d love to,” I said eagerly. “When do I go, how does this work; wait, who’s the band?”

Lucian chuckled at my enthusiasm. Jimmy grinned at him, and then continued talking to me. “Well, they’re scheduled to start recording next month. They’re coming up from Baltimore this next week.” Jimmy shuffled through some papers.

I froze for a second. They’re coming up from Baltimore… this band… It couldn’t be, it would just be too much of a coincidence, right?

Jimmy finally found the file he was looking for. “Here it is. Acquaint yourself with them and learn as much as you can. We’d really like to sign them permanently.” He handed me the stack.

I could feel my palms start to sweat as I saw the letters glaring at me from the white sheet.

All Time Low.

My mouth dried uncomfortably and I felt the room start to spin slightly.

“Abigail? Abigail, are you alright?” Jimmy asked concern evident in his voice.

I snapped out of my thoughts, trying to form a sentence despite my stuttering. “Mr. Iovine, I –I don’t think I’d be able to do this, I…”

Lucian frowned. “Miss Stone, A&R is one of the dying careers in the music industry. A&R representatives are being laid off daily. You, being young and relatively new to this industry, would be on the first list of A&R reps that we wouldn’t need. By refusing this offer, you cement yourself on that list.”

I opened my mouth in protest, but snapped it shut as Lucian’s words processed through my brain. I either signed the contract or signed my pink slip. I nodded slightly before gathering my words. “I – I understand, Mr. Grainge. Mr. Iovine, I – I would love to work with them.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright guys! Here we go. Thanks for being so patient and awesome. We've got 45 subscribers, something that always blows my mind. So I'd just die if we got more than five comments. Not a lot to ask right?

I hope you're not bored of this story series yet, because I'm having a blast writing it. Also, I'm co-writing for the first time (officially) with my good friend Regan. So this should be amazing given that she's got great ideas.

Thanks to anyone who reads and comments. Your comments help us become better writers. So let us know what you think.

If you're more into Twitter, then here's mine: @jeccaxo. I do tend to send update notifications on there to Neda... but I can always just tweet that I updated. Regan's is @WeSayRegan. Her tweets are just awesome. So there! Lol.

Enjoy!