‹ Prequel: Ever After Never Came
Status: Up and running. Powered by your comments. =D

The Way We Talk

I Can Live Without You But, Without You I'll Be Miserable At Best.

I walked out of Jimmy’s office feeling like my stomach was going to fall out of my butt. Everything I had worked so hard for was probably going to come crashing down on me. The peaceful life I had finally built for myself was going to be mayhem. I could already feel it happening.

I walked back to my cubicle and sat down. I chewed on my nails nervously while staring at the phone. I was anticipating the ring. Jimmy had decided that I should start immediately. I was just waiting on the call from Matt Flyzik to determine my fate.

It felt like hours as I tidied up my desk and awaited the phone call. Finally the annoying ring came from the black phone on my desk. I cleared my throat.

“Interscope Records, Abigail Stone Speaking.” I said sweetly.

“Uhm. Wow. Hi. Sorry, your name sounded familiar for a second….” I heard Matt babble.

“I was just supposed to call you to inform you that we’re in studio 2 in building A. You can come now…” he finished.

“Alright. I’ll be over there in a sec. Thanks Matt!” I said.

The line went dead and I gathered my stuff. How did he not make a connection? Well, I guess they all probably thought I was still in Maryland. It made sense for him not to figure it out. They were in for a treat as soon as I arrived though.

I slipped on my shoes and pulled down my sunglasses. I walked over to the building that all of our recording studios were in. The doors were unlocked and I could hear that the recording was already in progress. I gasped at the sound of Alex’s vocals. He was recording all the backup vocals to some catchy song and I giggled when I saw him dancing in the booth. Everyone had their backs turned to me. They were standing over the soundboard and laughing at Alex as well.

It felt surreal to see him after so long. He had died his hair a darker brown that had a tint of purple in it. It was way different but it looked nice. It suited him very well. Alex began to thrust his hips as he began belting out the chorus.

I feel like dancin’ tonight, I’m gonna party like it’s my civil right.

All of a sudden the singing stopped and I looked up from my clipboard.

Alex was looking at me with his mouth slightly open. Our eyes connected and he took his headphone’s off.

“Abby?” he said into the microphone.

Everyone turned around at the same time and soon they were all wearing the same look that Alex had on. I looked around nervously and smoothed my skirt once more. Nobody made a sound. They all just stared at me as if I was some alien.

“Uhm. Hey guys…. I’m Abby. I’m here to oversee your recording process….” I stuttered.

“No shit. We know who you are.” Jack seethed.

His face had gone from shocked to angry as soon as I had opened my mouth.

“Well, you don’t have to be a dick.” I defended.

I took a seat on one of the couches and looked up. Everyone was still staring at me and I was growing irritated.

“Alright guys! Cool it is me, Abigail frickin’ Stone. If you really want this record deal I suggest you get back to recording.” I snapped.

Jack rolled his eyes and turned around. Alex shook his head and spoke into the microphone once more.

“Jack, you go ahead and record. I’m not in the right mind set to do this right now…”

Jack trudged into the booth with his purple guitar and Alex came walking out. I held my breath as he inched closer. He finally sat down once everyone’s attention was on Jack. Everyone but Alex, that is. I could feel him staring at me and it was once more beginning to irritate me. I swear it was like I was a Crypt Keeper or something.

“Hey Al…” I sighed.

“Hi Abs…” he sighed.

I chuckled slightly at the awkwardness. I looked over at him and smiled. I was hoping this would kind of take place as a peace treaty or something..

“So, Interscope eh? I had no clue this is where you had disappeared too… Well to be honest I didn’t even know if you were alive….” He babbled.

“Well, now you know. I’m very much alive.” I sighed.

“Well… Don’t you have an attitude on you.” Alex smirked.

“It’s okay. I like that. You’re finally defending yourself… That’s nice.” He finished.

“Thank you Alex, but I wasn’t asking for your approval.” I sneered.
Call me foolish, but I was growing irritated with him. This was a professional scenario and if anything I, yes ME, was in charge. He did not have any power over me whatsoever.

“Well, lookie here. Same old, same old. Get me distracted so you can fool around with Alex…” I heard Jack’s voice from above me.

“Yepp. That’s exactly what I’m doing here.” I said.

Sarcasm dripped from my voice and out of my pores. Jack stormed out of the room and I sat there and sighed. Everyone was looking at me. I stood up and shrugged.

“I’ll go fix it….” I said softly.

Matt, Rian, Alex, and Zack all nodded at me.

“If he kills me, it was nice seeing you..” I chuckled.

*************************

After walking for a while I found Jack sitting on the ground in the parking lot. Jack noticed the pitter patter of my heels as I got closer and he buried his head in his hands. I sat down next to him and pulled my knees to my chest.

“Jack…I’m sorry.” I sighed.

“Okay.” I could hear him rolling his eyes from the sound of his voice.

“Let’s just call a truce… Atleast until this whole shebang is over. Then you never have to speak to me again. Okay?” I suggested.

For the first time in a long time I felt vulnerable I wanted Jack to forgive me badly. I just knew it probably wouldn’t happen. There was nothing I wanted more then to make everything right again. I wanted to fix things with Lisa. I wanted to make Kara start talking to me again. I wanted Jack and I to be friends, same with Alex and I. I just didn’t know how.

“Alright..” Jack finally said.

I looked over at him and saw that he was just staring out into space. I felt a little awkward to be honest, and that made me sad. Since when did things get awkward with the only man I ever loved? At one point in my life, Jack had been EVERYTHING to me. I couldn’t help but want that back.

“Jack?” I sighed.

“Yes, Abby?”

“Will you give me a hug?” I asked.

I heard no reply for a couple seconds so I stood up. I was prepared to run away if needed. But Jack hopped up swiftly and grabbed me into his arms. I buried my face into his neck and took in the scent I had gone so long without. ‘It was so wrong, that it was right. I absolutely loved it and never wanted to let go. It felt like eternity that we just held eachother there.

“We should probably go back inside..” Jack finally said.

“Yeah…” I awkwardly agreed.

Jack let go of me and skipped back to the studio. I took my time getting back. I wanted to savor everything that had just happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okie dokie. It's short and I apologize for that.

It's also horrible. But I'm still warming up to the story and all. The Next will be better. (:

Comment! And for those who aren't subscribed, SUBSCRIBE. <3