Status: Complete

'Safe' Is Not A Word In My Vocabulary

Chapter 26

I felt guilty about that, but not guilty enough to take it back. Jacob was just a distraction from the big picture.

And I didn’t need distractions.

I sighed quietly and checked in with Edward quickly. I told him I’d be going wolf in a second and I handed Bella his jacket. I’d warmed it up by now.

She smiled at me, her eyes burning with curiosity. I flinched and Edward smiled apologetically.

I ignored that and all but ran out into the woods.

Jacob had phased and was somewhere south now, as far as I could tell.

I stripped down quickly and took the northern route. My scent wasn’t edible to vamps, but it didn’t stink either. Edward had once compared it to flowers, floral, but not edible to most things.

I was thinking randomly about this while I ran, my thoughts empty with the lack of the guys thoughts. They were most likely sleeping right now, prepping for the battle I’d accidently dragged them into.

A large russet blur ran in front of me, looking back with a pained expression. I ignored him and he ran beside me, about five feet away from me, a space Leah’s small form could’ve easily filled.

Jacob cut me off about two miles away so I had to skid a little.

My claws made a grating sound against the ground and I winced. My golden eyes glared at him and he whined.

This would be more from earlier.

I huffed and he phased back to human right in front of me, not worrying about being naked in my presence since that night.

He was more comfortable than he should’ve been.

“Glad I got your attention,” he said glumly. I sighed and waited until he pulled on a pair of sweats to sit down.

I gave him an expectant look and he sighed.

“Look Cent, I understand why you hate me, and I would feel the same if I were you, but just hear me out?” he begged and I gave him a look that said, this had better be good.

“I wasn’t avoiding you, or shoving all my attention to Bella, I only kissed her so I could separate myself from her completely. I don’t want her, at all. I’ve been going nuts these last few days because of the cold shoulder you’ve been giving me.”

I let him continue, getting all the ranting out of his system while already knowing my answer. He paused for a long second, his throat seeming clogged momentarily before he continued again.

“I don’t want Bella,” he repeated, “I don’t want anyone but you, I love you, and I know I said that before but I mean every word...if I can’t fix this well…I guess I know what I’ll do then.”

Jacob’s POV

Confusion swept across her animal features and I smiled a small, sad smile. She held up a paw before shrinking down to a human, her bones snapping and reshaping in a way to make me wince.

She slipped her clothes on and stood up. Her thin skinny arms crossed over her chest. Her expression was neutral, but also fierce in a weird way.

“Explain,” her voice was aggravated.

I smiled bleakly again.

“There’s a pretty serious fight brewing down there, it shouldn’t be too hard to take myself out of the picture.”

The hard mask she’d been wearing cracked, disbelief surged through her and her expression was so shocked it hurt.

“You wouldn’t,” her voice was far away, a quiet whisper amongst the wind in the trees. I smiled again.

And turned to walk away before calling out “Chris is a nice catch by the way, Im sure you too will be very happy together once Im gone.” There was a disbelieving sound from behind me.

I turned around at the sound, my expression taunting, letting the bait just sit there.

Centhua’s POV

That selfish...I couldnt even think of a bad enough word.

He wasn’t serious, he couldn’t be, and what the heck did ‘Chris’ have to do with this? We weren’t an item, besides it being totally gross it was also illegal.
I called his bluff.

“You’re not seriously going to kill yourself over me.” My voice was blank with surprise and distaste; he shrugged innocently, giving it as a confirmation.

“Im dead serious,” he stated with a bitter laugh. He turned and started walking again.

“Don’t even think about it Jacob Black!” I shouted after him, my feet edging forward a few feet. He paused and I wished I could see his expression.

When he turned back around and his face was a perfect mask; a poker face.

“What do you mean?” he asked, almost too innocently. I edged forward again. “Don’t, Im not worth it.” My voice was edgy, almost high pitched with desperation.

As much as he hurt me, and as much as I pushed him away, I couldn’t stand living knowing he wasn’t. He smiled a victorious smile.

“I told you Cent,” he whispered a bit dreamily “You’re worth fighting for, now I see your worth dying for too.”

I felt myself move closer again, my hand reaching.
“Don’t,” I repeated.

His face was thoughtful.

“Maybe I don’t have to,” he aloud, and I felt myself shiver, but not from the wintry air.
“What are you talking about?” I whispered.

He didn’t smile this time but looked at me in all seriousness.

“I mean, I don’t have to do anything rash, I’ll do my part for the pack and let whatever happens happen, if you could convince me you really don’t want me to die.”

“How?” I scowled, but there were big cracks in my show. He shrugged, smirking now.
“Be creative,” he hinted, eyeing my lips.

I walked forward, not sure of what he was referring to, but also willing to do whatever it took to keep him alive.

“Don’t go,” I whispered, my hands reaching to wind around his neck, my body molding itself to his.

“Don’t die, don’t leave me,” I begged reaching up to kiss his lips lightly.

“Please,” I whispered before I crashed my lips onto his. His surprise only last for a few short second before he grabbed my waist roughly. His hands burned against the exposed skin my clothes had shifted to reveal, before entangling in my short hair.

I kissed him passionately and hard, our teeth clashing occasionally from the intensity of it and his skimming my bottom lip.

Our bodies didn’t fit perfectly against each other anymore. My stomach was slightly bigger now, probably from overeating and not running as much as usual. It was getting in the way.

His lips were still before mine were and I opened my eyes to see him looking at me in wonder. It had started snowing and the sun was setting. We had been kissing for nearly ten minutes without my noticing.

“I have to go,” he whispered, pulling away from me slightly while his hands remained attached to my hair.

“No,” I whispered.

He smiled, clearly pleased by my answer and kissed me lightly.

“Don’t worry, you’ve convinced me,” he released me and I watched him walk away from me with a confused expression on my face.

He stopped only long enough to call over his shoulder.

“I forgot to tell you; I love what you’ve done with your hair.”

I stared after him as he walked into the forest.

And once I was sure he was gone, I fell to the snow, and cried, for the first time in my life not having a real reason.

XxX

I came into the tent wordlessly my eyes probably red, and my hair a wind whipped mess.
Bella looked up but she couldn’t see through her shivering.

Wordlessly, I sat by Edward.

He pulled me into his arms. Whether it was because I was over heating or because I needed comfort, I wasn’t sure. I buried my face in his shoulder and tried to cover my fresh crying.

It worked for a time, and then Jacob came in to warm up Bella.

I didn’t meet his eyes all night.

XxX

In the morning, I was the first one awake. Bella and Jacob were sleeping, Jacob’s soft snore the only sound in the whole forest.

Edward rubbed my back soothingly and released me, understanding my need to get out of here.

I crawled out of the tent and walked into the forest before phasing.

K-9 was up, but his thoughts were mindless, just a blur of green and brown trees as he ran through the forest with excitement.

I didn’t disturb him, but instead let his thoughts numb mine instead of letting my own images take center stage.

We ran in companionable silence, his dark brown fur sleek and wind whipped, my white fur blending in with the snow perfectly, besides my black tipped tail and tawny yellow eyes, I was invisible.

Damien joined our group, his thoughts just as edgy as mine had been and I could understand why.

He was still taking Bella’s place, becoming the target, and he probably wouldn’t get to fight much.

Don’t worry bro, I’ll get a few for ya, I thought, he smiled mentally, rolling his eyes.
Yeah, you’ll get more than a few, but do it for all of us. I smiled too, and it was all I could do not to howl.

I had a feeling, despite this being Victoria’s doing, that the crossfire just might make a special guest appearance.

XxX

I stood with K-9, directly behind Sam as we waited for the fight to begin.

Damien had already taken his place, and Jacob seemed smug at having him be the bait. I knew he’d think differently if he knew ‘Chris’ was my bother but I still didn’t tell him yet.

He came to me before the fight, as a wolf. He nuzzled my neck and bit my ear playfully, but his eyes were wary. In a way, I wished he had stayed out of this fight altogether, and I knew he felt the same about me.

But this was my life.

Fighting vampires is practically a part time job of mine, only the employee work conditions was kill, or be killed.

K-9 laughed at my thoughts, but I knew he agreed with me.

Alice called loudly as she and the other Cullen’s raced to their places.

“It’s time!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is shorter than your used to, but Im tired and feel like leaving you hanging cause' im a bitch like that lol jk, but comments make the chapters come out faster ;)