To Have A Love Like This

Chapter One

Sam POV

When I finished previewing my finished article I leaned back in my chair. I was done for the day and it was only three o’clock. I wasn’t able to leave until five, which was totally stupid. I logged on to my computer to pass the time. When I signed into my msn I viewed a few new inboxes from my coworkers, one from my boss, and one from Emily.

From: Emily&David@hotmail.com
To: JustSam@hotmail.com
Topic: Urgent! … Read… Obviously… ;)

Hey, girl! Why don’t you talk to me anymore? Well I forgive you anyway. ;P (hehe it’s only been three days since we talked). I sent you this email to tell you something totally important. My baby boy’s birthday is coming soon and I want your help in helping me make a party. I know you probably don’t want to come down here, but I need you!

Little Scott’s birthday is coming soon. I really, really want you to come. I promise I will try to keep him away from you… I’ll talk to you soon. This email is shorter than most, but it was important. With much love, Emily.


I read the email at least three times. She was asking me to go to the one place I dreaded the most. I never told her about Sydney. I can’t really show up at her step with her in by my side saying, “Hey, I never told you but ten months after I left I had Erik’s kid. Can you hide her while I help you make the party?”

My mind went back to a month after I moved when Erik came to visit me the first, and only, time. We were so excited to see each other. So much, in fact we did it in the back of his rental car. Four months later when I had the guts to tell him I was pregnant, he dumped me, through a phone call.

My parents never approved of the fact that I never told him about Sydney. No doubt he would have cared anyway.

I pressed the reply button waiting for the page to load.

From: JustSam@hotmail.com
To: Emily&David@hotmail.com
Topic: RE: Urgent! … Read… Obviously… ;)

Dear Emily, I never told you something that I should have. You are going to be shocked. I’m scared to tell you LOL.

I have a daughter. There I said it!

I know I should have told you, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Anyway, don’t worry about me hooking up with some random guy and having sex with him because I drowning in my self-pity. She’s Erik’s daughter…

I’m scared to go because I will have to take her and I don’t want anyone to see her, especially Erik. Just looking at her and you will know she’s Erik’s. She looks just like him. I don’t want him to think he has to do the right thing because we have a kid.

If you were able to hide her while I’m down there then I would help you. Please don’t reply to this typing in capital letters (as if you were screaming). By the way, her name is Sydney. :3 Yours truly, Sam.


I hit the send button. Whatever I missed will have to wait for when she replies. I minimized the window standing up and stretching. I looked around the office. The different cubicles were also filled with people chattering. I walked to the lounge to get something to drink. Along the way I bumped into Brian. He’s one of the few friends I made when I first came. I’m an intern for the company. Once I finish my required time I’m a licensed author.

“Hey, Sam, how are you doing today,” he asked. I smiled.

“I’m doing pretty good I guess. I just finished an article. I still have to get it approved before it can go in the next edition though,” I replied.

“You’re an intern and you already have articles going out in the magazine. That’s amazing; not very many people can do that. When you get your credit are you going to work here full time?”

“I’m not really sure.” We started to walk to together.

“You would do wonders to this company.” He lightly smirked before telling me goodbye. When I arrived I bought water from the machine. Alicia, the one who hired me, walked in.

“Hello Sam. How is your article going,” She said while walking to the coffee machine on the counter.

“I finished it and sent it to you in an email. You should have already gotten it.” She nodded in approval.

“I have to ask, since you are right about done with your internship and you’re already having your articles being published in our magazines, how would you like to have a job?” I looked at her. “Don’t worry about answering me now. When you have the answer you can just tell me. I have to go. I have a bunch of articles to read. Have a good day.” Her voice trailed off as she walked out of the lounge with a cup of coffee in hand. I leaned against the counter.

I walked back to my cubicle. I opened the window to my email. One new inbox.

From: Emily&David@hotmail.com
To: JustSam@hotmail.com
Topic: RE: Urgent! … Read… Obviously… ;)

OMG!!!! You have a daughter!!!! I can’t believe you have a daughter!!!! You never told me!!!! You can’t have a daughter!!! You only saw Erik once and that was when he went to visit you. If she really looks like Erik you have to send me a picture of her. You definitely have to come here now. OMG! You have a daughter. Why didn’t you ever tell Erik? I’m sure he would like to know that he is a daddy, even though he spends most of his time at the garage.

Samantha Karr, you have to tell Erik. You can’t hide her forever. I think at one point the two of you will see each other again and he will see her. I can’t guarantee that I can hide all the time without at least David seeing her but you have to come.

Scott’s birthday is in a month. A long time but I have a lot to do. It’s his first birthday and I want to make it special. I know you can write your articles and send it through email to Alicia. I want you here. You have to bring Sydney too! Ah such a beautiful name!

We live about twenty minutes away from where we all used to live. I’ll give you the direction when you call me when you’re leaving the airport in a rental car or something like that. My new phone number [I lost my other phone :* ] is: (234)-567-9628. Call me! Bye!


I looked at the email. Oh hot damn.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know the emails are stupid. :* The number is fake. Just letting you know. This chapter is short. I do hope they get longer and better as the story goes on. I haven't written much. Anyone have an idea on what might or want to happen?

I want to give the biggest thanks ever to blank pages ! She made the new layout that I love. Doesn't everyone else?

Also thank everyone else (3 people) for the story comments. You guys made my day. :3

I hope you liked the chapter. Comment, yeah?