Status: Taking a break to get things together again

It's a Good Year for a ***

Chapter 13

Gates roughly drags Vengeance outside and slams him against the car. No doubt so he wouldn’t hurt his girl, I can hear her crying from the restroom.
“Hey Jimmy. I’m gonna go see if she’s ok.”
“Okie Dokie.” he says from where he is, squatted down next to the injured clerk. “Don’t kill him.”
“I would never!” he shouts, while giving me a mischievous grin his gun hanging loosely in his hand.
I walk in to find her huddled against the far wall. I don’t say anything, just stare at her. She looks so much like Katherine that it scares me a bit. Her clothes are soaking wet and I can see her shivering.
“I’m Johnny Christ, but you can just call me Johnny.“ I say. “you really scared us you know. V was very upset, you shouldn’t do that to him. He has a very short temper.”

She sobs into my arms as I watch. Unsure of what to do now, crying girls are never something I like to deal with. I outstretch my hand to her, hoping she would come quietly. She takes my hand and I pull her up off the ground. I don’t let her hand go as I pull her out of the restroom and back into the front of the store.

“I imagine Shadows and Vengeance will be very angry with you. Just apologize and don’t argue with them. Don’t look them in the eye either, trust me.” I say as I squeeze her hand slightly. “Good luck kid.”

Zacky is leaning against the counter with a cigarette hanging from his mouth when he turn the corner. I let her hand drop out of mine and I push her softly toward him. She sniffles and wipes her face with her hand as she walks up to him.

“Well?” he asks sternly
“I…I’m sorry.” she whispers.

He doesn’t say anything for a moment. Just stares at her intently. I’m holding my breathe, anticipating him lashing out at her. I’m worried for her.

“You’re all wet.” he says finally and he takes of his jacket, placing it firmly around her shoulders. “Short Shit. Take her to the car, we’re gonna finish up in here and then we’ll get home. And call Shadows. Tell him we got her.”

I take her hand again and lead her out to the car. She doesn’t put up a fight, just surrenders to it. I open the door for her and get in beside her, closing the door shut so she doesn’t have to see what they are doing in there. I pull my phone out and dial the number without much thought. She sits beside me quietly, hugging the jacket tightly.

“We found her.” I say before he can get a word out. “On the way back now.”
“Good. I’ll be waiting downstairs, hurry the hell up.” he growls into the phone.

As I hang up the passenger door opens and Jimmy climbs in. He has a satisfied smirk on his face and a slim Jim in his hand. Gates gets into the drivers seat and Zacky gets in the backseat next to her, so she’s between us.
“He’s pissed.” I say as Brian starts the suburban and drives out of the parking lot.
“On a scale of 1 to 10?” Jimmy asks
“He’s waiting for us downstairs. So I’d say a solid 9.”
“So not as mad as that one time in Brisbane?” he laughs
“Which time?” Gates laughs as he speeds down the dark road. “That one time with the kangaroo or the kola?”
“The kangaroo” me and Jimmy say at the same time.
“His face was priceless, and he had a black eye for like two weeks. I’m pretty sure I have that on video somewhere.” Jimmy laughs harder. “I miss Australia, we need to go back soon.”
“Agreed.” Zacky says finally.
“Don’t worry man. We got your back in this. Shadows is just stressed out, I’m sure everything will be fine. Just remind him about that time in Kissimmee. When he almost got us shot.” Gates says to him as we pull into the driveway.

As we all pile out of the car, Shadows opens the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whatcha think?