Status: This story will be updated slowly - but fear not, I will still do it. I'm an English major in college, so I have a ton of homework, so please be patient with me!

Love's Horrid Fruit

002

Hermione

Ron and I sat at the Gryffindor table, the sorting over and done with, and Harry still wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Ron reached for another drumstick and I smacked the back of his hand, “How can you eat when your best friend is missing?”

Ron swallowed the mouthful of chicken he had, a piece on his chin hung stubbornly, disgustingly flapping with each chew. Finally ridding himself of the masticated chicken, he nodded to the Hall doors and said, “He’s right there.”

Turning I gasped as my eyes took in the sight of Harry Potter with a rag under his nose, the white slowly being consumed with the brilliant red of blood. I moved down the bench allowing him room to sit next to me. The moment he sat down, my over caring mode clicked on, “Oh, Harry, are you alright? What happened?”

He leaned away from me as I reached out to touch him, “I’m fine, Hermione. Really.”

“But what happened, mate?” Ron looked concerned for a moment, but the poor drumstick in his hand grabbed his attention. I frowned at him as he took an unnecessarily large bite, the fried skin sliding off the chicken and out of his mouth, landing wetly on his plate.

I turned back to Harry who frowned and said, “Malfoy.”

The name alone was enough to make my skin crawl. Ron and I looked across the Great Hall to the Slytherin table, getting a clear view of the culprit himself. The three of us watched as Pansy Parkinson hung all over him, laughing loudly. He didn’t look quite as involved in the conversation as she was, his green eyes flashing over to us, to me.

I shook my head to rid myself of the thought.

That cockroach had been the torment of my schooling career, the small thorn in my side, for as long as I could remember. I hated the monster, him being the only person I’ve ever felt comfortable saying that about. I said it once, I’ll say it again.

He’s a foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach.

Ron was the next one to break the intense staring, taking another colossal bite out of the chicken. I rolled my eyes and turned to Ginny, “Does your brother always eat like this?”

Ginny sighed dramatically before saying, “Yes. He’s a slob.”

“Shu-uh, Ginny,” said Ron with a full mouth.

“Ronald, please.” I made a disgusted face and looked away.

“Wha’?”

Harry put down the cloth, his nose managing to stop bleeding. I took my napkin and dipped it in my water, and gripped his chin. “Uh- Hermione!”

“Hold still, you’ve got blood all over your face.”

He surrendered to me, allowing me to play ‘group mom’ and clean his face. There was still a red tint when I finished, but at least the gore was gone. I smiled at him and he nodded, “Thanks Hermione.”

“No problem.” I replied with a shy smile. I turned back to my food and felt a nudge next to me. I looked to Ginny who leaned over to me.

“Don’t look now, but Draco Malfoy is staring at you.”

I looked up to the Slytherin table and found Draco’s eyes. I glared at him and mouthed ‘what?’ He jumped a little, like he was snapping back to himself. Glaring back at me, he flipped me the bird and turned back to his friends. Turning to Ginny I shrugged, annoyed.

However, for the rest of the meal I kept my eye on him, nervous for some reason that his looks would lead to some mischievous activity. Around me, Harry and Ron talked animatedly about Quidditch tryouts.

“You are trying out, aren’t you,” I asked Ron, “I mean… I’m sure you would be a natural at it.”

“You really think I should?” asked Ron.

“I don’t see why not.”

Ron smiled and we moved on to topics of schooling. He and Harry had an open block, or so they hoped. My work load was hefty, not heavy at all for me, but enough to make the jaws of everyone who heard me drop. I’ve always done well in school, always. It was something my parents sort of expected of me. Being muggles they were raised thinking the harder you worked in school, the better job offers you’ll receive.

I happily agree with them.

The meal ended and it was time Ron and I helped the first years to the common room. I stood, straightening out my robes so the prefect badge shown proudly in the candle light. Ron stood eventually, wiping crumbs off of him, and we gathered the young children. As we lead the group out of the main hall, we ran into Draco Malfoy and his herd of idiots. Pansy Parkinson had her arm around his neck, biting his ear lobe; he smiled at her gesture, his hand on her rear.

“Public display of affection is not permitted in the halls.” My voice was sharp.

“Ey, Malfoy,” said Crabbe, “The mudblood’s tryin’ to talk to yeh.”

Malfoy turned to look at me, the movement ripping his skin from Pansy’s mouth. He hissed and pushed her aside. “What were you saying, Granger?”

“PDA is-”

“You’re not really gonna force that rule, are ya’? After that little show with Potter?”

I frowned, “Consider this a warning, Malfoy… next time I’m reporting you.”

“Oo,” he smiled, “The Big Bad Mudblood is going to get us.”

Pansy let out a cackle, “Oh no, I’m so scared.”

Rolling my eyes I turned to the group of young Gryffindors, “Alright, follow us please.”

“Leading your new group of book nerds to your common room?” Malfoy moved in front of us.

“Move aside Malfoy,” said Ron, “Go pick on first years from your own house.”

“Why, when it’s more fun picking on yours?”

Taking a step forward, I grabbed a hold of Malfoy’s arm, pushing him aside. Looking him in the eye, I thought I saw shock flash through him, but it was mostly anger. “Step aside, Malfoy.”

“T-Take your hand off me, you filthy little mudblood.”

“You keep calling me that, but you must realize the affects have warn off.”

He looked at me, straightening out his clothing and nodded at his entourage and they left. Turning to Ron, I gave a huff and we continued our way, leading the kids to the Gryffindor tower.

~

There was a grand reunion of friends when everyone returned from the feast. The house elves brought up Butterbeer in an almost continuous flow. I sat with Harry, Ron, Ginny, Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, Parvati Patil, and Colin Creevey – his brother was on the other side of the room with his friends. There was a small feeling of loss in the room brought on by the lack of Fred and George Weasley.

The two red headed twins left abruptly – and hilariously – last year. Ever since then a place in our daily lives has been missing.

I took a sip of the hot liquid and laughed as Ron retold the story of what happened in the hallway between me and Malfoy. After his story Dean told of his vacation to the Lake Country.

“So are you and Cho really over,” asked Seamus, “Cause if so, do you think she would go for me?”

We all took pillows from the couch and threw them at him, laughing at his question. Harry smiled and replied, “I don’t think we were ever really together in the first place.”

“Of course you were,” I said, “You two just ended… badly.”

Ron laughed, “Badly is an understatement, Hermione. They more like exploded in a constant wave of tears.”

Harry nodded stiffly, “Thanks Ron.”

“Just stating the obvious, mate.”

I rolled my eyes, “Boys.”

“Hey,” Ron exclaimed, “You know you love us, Hermione.”

I didn’t say anything as I took another sip from my Butterbeer and smiled sweetly at him. The boys started talking about the Quidditch World Cup, and we girls were able to talk.

“Draco Malfoy seemed to have his eye on you,” said Parvati.

I scoffed, “Whatever. He’s a pig.”

Ginny nodded, “I saw him as I left the Great Hall… Pansy was practically all over him.”

“Oh I know,” I said, my voice thick with disgust, “I tried to warm them about their actions, but they ignored me.”

“Of course,” said Parvati, “He’ll never listen to anyone unless it’s a teacher.”

Ginny blushed, “Can I tell you guys something?”

I nodded, taking another drink.

“I’ve always thought that Malfoy was kind of attractive.”

I chocked on the warm liquid, it burning my throat.

Ginny held up her hands, “I’m not saying that I like him…. I’m just saying that it’s a shame that a boy like him is so… vile.”

“Well, you know what they say,” said Parvati, “Every rose has its thorn.”

I rolled my eyes, “Yes, but Draco is just one giant thorn… sticking in the side of everyone in this school.”

~

The group stayed up until very late, we shooed Colin away after a while, growing tired of his obsession with Harry and his need to take pictures of everything that happened. Eventually the light conversation grew dark as the subject of He Who Must Not Be Named came up.

“Do you think you’ll take up the DA lessons again,” asked Parvati, “I learned so much with you than I probably would have in the class room.”

Harry shrugged, “We could give Snape a try… I’m sure not all of you have to take it this year.”

Parvati, Dean, and Seamus shook their heads. Ron and I are taking it only because it was required for him, and I wanted further training. With You Know Who getting stronger one can not afford to be caught off guard.

“It wouldn’t be a bad idea, you know,” I said, “Many of us aren’t taking it.”

Harry nodded, “Yeah… have a review or something.”

“I still have my coin,” said Dean reaching into his pocket and producing a galleon sized coin, “I um… carry it with me.”

“In case you need to be called to arms,” joked Ron, a big grin on his face. It fell at the sight of Dean’s serious face, “Sorry, mate.”

We were all quiet for a moment, the tension building almost to choking level, but slowly – very slowly – it went down. I took my final sip from my drink, the liquid long since losing its warmth. I fought off a grimace as I moved everything to the back of my throat before allowing myself to swallow it. The butterscotch aftertaste quickly coated my mouth, making me long to brush my teeth.

Sighing, I set my empty mug on the coffee table in front of us, meaning to have the elves take care of it. I left a small thank you note for the elf that moved it. Standing I said, “I’m going to bed. I’ll ah… see you all in the morning.”

Walking up the spiral stair case, I went to the dorm that housed my belongings and got ready for sleep. I changed out of my uniform and into pajamas before grabbing my tooth past and brush and leaving for the bathroom.

As I moved my brush up and down along my teeth, my mind wandered to what Ginny had said about Malfoy. I had to admit that, indeed, Draco Malfoy was a good looking boy, and it was a shame that it was paired with such a vicious personality. I’m sure he must have some good quality about him, but as I remembered all of the bullying he had participated in over the years I had to dismiss the idea.

With my teeth clean, I washed my face and slipped into my bed, closing my eyes and falling into a nightmare of me being continually late to all of my classes, with nothing I could do to stop it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... I think my Hermione needs some work....
Apparently she doesn't come as easily as Draco Malfoy does.
What does that say about me?
.....

Comments?