Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XII

As Val turned the car down our street and we were close to getting home, my eyes finally started to droop, letting me know I was starting to get tired. It usually took me forever to get tired, because I always went to bed late since I worked on projects until the early hours of the morning.

“I’m just going to go ahead and say that it wasn’t so bad over there,” Val said, breaking the comfortable silence as he pulled into the driveway and put the car in park.

“What? Having to deal with Emily?” I asked, bracing myself for the cold as I opened the door.

“Yeah. I mean, maybe it was just me but after awhile it wasn’t so bad.”

“If you say so. The whole her trying to make Jack seem better was rather annoying in my opinion…” I rolled my eyes as he slipped the key into the lock so we could get into the warm house.

“I didn’t notice it so much. I think you two could get over it if you both really wanted to.”

“I don’t know Val…I don’t really want to talk about this right now though.”

“That’s fine. Jacket?” He asked and then proceeded to help me out of mine. As he hung up both our jackets in the closet, I wandered into the living room, looking at the Christmas tree that lit up the whole room. Suddenly Val was behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

“You alright?” He asked quietly, placing a kiss on my neck.

“Completely fine,” I said, turning around to face him with a smile on my face that he returned before lowering his head to kiss me.

“Know what we haven’t done in awhile?” He asked lowly, giving me a look. I smiled, then bit my lip to hide it as he kissed my neck again.

“I think I might possibly know…” With that he led me to our room, a smirk on his face.

-

“Are you watching this game?!” I heard Emma yell from the living room, causing me to roll my eyes. I was almost positive none of her fans realized she was this into hockey. I didn’t think she was when I first met her, but soon after realized I was terribly wrong.

“I’m kind of busy helping set up for your party Emma!” I called back laughing. Instead of having a relaxing New Years Eve with the guys, they were currently at the Joe playing the Islanders.

“Well sorry if I want to watch my man do something he’s good at!” She huffed as she joined me in the kitchen to help set up the food for the party.”

“What’s the score right now?” I asked ask I walked over to the fridge.

“3-1 them. We don’t have much else to do, do we?” She asked, stopping to take a look around her spacious kitchen.

“In here, I’m pretty positive we’re done. The rest of the stuff has to be set out once people start coming over.”

“Okay, and the living room is set. So want to watch the rest of the game now?” She asked with a juvenile grin on her face. I couldn’t help but laugh and then proceeded to follow her into the living room.

“Wait, the Islanders are beating up by two?” I asked, once we had gotten comfortable in front of the television.

“Those were my thoughts. Wow, period is about to end.”

“Going into the third and being down by two doesn’t sound too good,” I said as I watched the clock count down the last thirty seconds of the second period.

“Nick’s gunna get it!” Emma said loudly as we watched Lidstrom take a shot from the blue line, only to hit the goalpost and send the puck flying in the air causing us to groan loudly. Suddenly Val’s arm shot up, and I felt my eyebrows pull together.

“What’s he doi- HE’S GOT THE PUCK!” I yelled happily, watching as he dropped it on the ice and took a shot. We watched excitedly as the puck went straight into the net.

-

The house was buzzing with the amount of people crowding the rooms. Most of the Wings were there and I was standing on the steps leaning against the railing as I waited for Val to walk in. As lame as people thought it was, we actually liked the whole New Years kiss thing. We had done it ever year since we had been together. Not to say that if he had been gone I would have kissed someone else, we just thought the whole thing was kind of cute. But it was getting closer and closer to midnight and there was still no sign of him anywhere. Suddenly I felt arms wrap around me from behind, scaring the hell out of me.

“Looking for someone?” I heard Val’s voice whisper in my ear.

“When did you get here?” I demanded, turning around.

“Just got here actually. Emma said you were waiting here so I should sneak up the other staircase and surprise you,” He said, a smile gracing his features.

“What took you so long?”

“Had to stop home really quick and then on the way here there was suddenly a whole bunch of traffic,” He said, releasing me slightly from his grip so we could descend the stairs and join the party.

“You’re lucky it’s not midnight yet,” I said, a playful smile on my face.

“Oh yeah?”

“Mhm. I might have had to kiss someone else,” I said sighing dramatically.

“And who would have done that, knowing you’re with me?”

“Probably Justin,” I said with a serious face before breaking out into a giggle. “Yeah right.”

“What he wouldn’t want to kiss you?” Val asked, his eyebrows raised.

“I don’t know, even if he did, I’m pretty sure he’d be afraid you’d kick his ass.” Suddenly the group around the TV started counting down backwards from fifteen. Val looked at me and smiled before pulling me into the group so we could watch the ball drop. As it finally fell, everyone yelled and cheered loudly as Val pulled me close to him.

“Happy new year,” He said quietly before placing a passionate kiss on my lips.