Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XIII

I groaned as I attempted to bury myself under the pillows and blankets to block out any noise. It was New Years Eve and I could tell by all the cheering that it was midnight or just past. Jack’s arm tightened around my waist as he shifted.

“You alright?” He mumbled sounding half asleep.

“I will be if you go beat up the people in the apartment next door.” I told him as I rolled over to snuggle into his chest.

“Mmm . . .” I rolled my eyes knowing he was falling back to sleep. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m okay, just tired.” He pulled me closer and shifted around so his left arm was tucked under my head while his other arm stayed wrapped around me. Typically on New Year’s we’d be out with the guys at a party but this year the guys had a game the next day and had limitations. No excessive drinking, it’s not fun playing hockey with a hangover, secondly obey the curfew time. Also this year I seemed to come down with a bug or food poisoning seeing as I couldn’t keep anything down.

“Just . . . wake me up if you aren’t feeling good,” I just nodded knowing that he was already back to sleep. I shifted again kicking the blankets off of my legs. Lucky Jack was a heavy sleeper and never noticed when I did that.

-

I slumped against the wall letting out a groan. Jaclyn Quick and Nicole Brown were next to me rubbing my arms and back. This wasn’t what I wanted to be doing, slumped in a bathroom during a Kings game. I know Dustin or Jack, maybe both, noticed none of us three were in our seats. I could hear the bell go off signaling the end of the game. I knew we lost against San Jose, only by one but still not how they wanted to start their month stent at home.

“Are you feeling okay to move?” Jaclyn asked brushing hair out of my face. I just nodded and held out my hands for help to stand up.

“I don’t get it, I felt fine all day.” I told them as I washed my mouth out with water.

“Dustin mentioned you and Jack stayed home because you weren’t feeling well last night.” Nicole told me as we walked down to the locker room.

“Yeah I was sick last night but . . . I felt fine this morning,” They both looked me then back at each other. “What?”

“Nothing,” Both of them answered shaking their heads.

“Okay then,” I mumbled as we waited outside the locker room. Few of the guys left giving us a wave. Jon came out and said his goodbye leaving with Jaclyn. Dustin came out next giving me a hug then left with his wife. I rubbed my stomach still having the uneasy feeling. Jack walked out heaving a heavy sigh, he gave me confused look.

“You okay?”

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” I joked trying not to grimace. Jack walked over pushing my hair from my face.

“I didn’t see you during half of the third period and Dustin didn’t see the other girls either.” I just nodded still holding my stomach. “Did you get sick again?”

“Yeah, Nicole and Jaclyn came in after I didn’t return from the period break.”

“Okay, let’s get home then.” Jack held me tight to his side as we walked to the car. He opened the door for me not letting me drive back like I usually did. I kept my eyes closed trying to keep the feeling back, the car ride wasn’t helping. By the time he unlocked the door I brushed past him to the bathroom.

Jack sat next to me rubbing my back and kept my hair out of my face. I rested against him resisting the urge to cry.

“Come on let’s get you cleaned up and to bed.” I just held my hand up telling him to hold on. “You gonna throw up again?”

“No . . .” He just nodded and went to help me up. “I actually kinda want In and Out,” Jack stopped his movement and looked at me. “What? It sounds really good . . .”

“You just threw up,” I meekly nodded earning a chuckle from him.

“I’ll go get you In and Out if you get changed and lay down in bed.” I just laughed and kissed his cheek. “Chester come on, go lay on the bed.”

“Thank you babe,” I told him as he grabbed his wallet and car keys. “I love you!” I hollered as he left the apartment. Doing as he told him, I changed and got into bed waiting for him to come home. “Come on Chester let’s find a movie,”