Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XV

I chewed on my bottom lip as I walked down to the locker room. Over time was nearing its end, I knew it’d go into a shoot out but I was waiting down by the room for Jack. I heard cheering and saw someone running past me.

“Stoll just won it in a shoot out!” I smiled knowing this was a good way for the guys to have their home stretch be successful. I gave each of the guys high fives as they walked to the locker rooms. Jack came into view giving me a smile. I grabbed his jersey pulling him down the hall a little.

“Hey babe, can this wait till I change?”

“No it really can’t,” I gave him a big smile as he steadied himself.

“What’s this about Ems?” I sucked on my lower trying to formulate the words.

“How does August twenty third sound?” Jack stared at me, confusion taking over his features.

“I don’t get it, what happens in seven and half mon—” He stopped talking, his eyes wide. “Are you serious?” I just nodded smiling. Jack somehow kept balance and picked me up so I wrapped my legs around his waist. “We’re having a baby?”

“Yes,” I gave him a long kiss then pulled away smiling. “I’m about nine and half weeks,”

“And you’re just finding out?”

“I had my suspicions but then I didn’t get my period so I took a test.” Jack just held me closer, if it was possible.

“Damn you two, couldn’t wait till you got home?” Drew’s voice rang out. Looking over I gave him a mock glare. “Seriously JJ, why haven’t you changed yet?”

“Can you keep a secret Dewey?” I asked as Jack set me down.

“Yeah, what’s going on guys?” He asked looking between Jack and I.

“Well, we’re having a baby.” Jack told him. Drew’s mouth opened and closed a few times.

“You expect me to keep that secret?!” I just nodded as he let out a groan. “Okay I won’t tell the guys, but you better Jack.” Drew warned then pulled me into a hug. “Congrats though, couldn’t think of better parents.”

“Didn’t you say that to Quicker?” Jack asked as he pulled his jersey off.

“Yep, now go change man so you can take your girl home!”

-

Jack and I walked into the doctor’s office in Ann Arbor for the first ultrasound. The All Star Games started later today and we were having his family over so we can watch Anze in the skill challenge. We decided not to tell our families just yet, I told Jack to wait until we were further along.

“What if we just told Kenny?” Jack suggested as we waited for our name to be called.

“Babe, a couple weeks won’t kill you.” He sighed and rested his head back against the wall.

“Emily Payne?” I tugged Jacks hand and followed the nurse back. She weighed me and took my height then asked some standard questions. “Alright put this on and the doctor will be in with you.” I changed into the paper gown and sighed as I sat on the table.

“So how long do these usually take?” Jack asked grabbing my hand and rubbing his thumb over my knuckles.

“I don’t know but I know she’ll probably go over some stuff with us so if you have questions think of them okay?” He nodded as the door opened and our doctor stepped inside.

“You must be Emily, I’m Linda Underwood.” I shook her hand giving her a smile. “And this must be the daddy,”

“Hello I’m—”

“Oh I know, go Wolverines!” I chuckled as Jack gave her a smile when she mentioned his college mascot. “So your first ultrasound, why didn’t you have an eight week?”

“I wasn’t a hundred percent sure I thought it maybe stress related but nope,”

“Well okay then, I’ll tell you what I’m going to go over, simple do’s and don’ts okay?” Jack and I both nodded. “Okay lets this show on the road.”

-

“Hey Jack, I’m gonna call my mom real quick okay?”

“Okay babe, my mom said they’re about ten minutes away.” I nodded knowing Jack was fine with handling the food for now. I quickly dialed my mom’s phone number as I sat down on the bed in the Ann Arbor apartment.

“Hi honey, you got in safely?”

“No I’m calling from the afterlife ma,” She let out a chuckle at my sarcasm. “Yeah it was a good flight. Um so tomorrow, are we getting together for lunch like planned?”

“Oh Honey you didn’t hear?”

“No . . .”

“Your sister went with Val this weekend to the All Star Games for the AHL to see his brother play plus she got a call to report for the game.”

“Oh,” I mumbled looking down rubbing my stomach. “Well okay then, um you can come over here tomorrow, Jacks family will be back to watch the game.”

“Alright Emmy, I’ll be there, love you sweetie.” She told me knowing by my tone I was disappointed.

“Love you too,” I hung up the phone as I fell back onto the bed and sighed. “So much for telling her this weekend.”