Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XVI

"Amy! Long time no see!” I turned around to see Mickey Redmond standing behind me, a big smile on his face.

“Hi Mickey. How have you been?” I asked as I walked up to give him a quick hug. Ever since I had started working for FSD, he had acted almost like a father figure to me. We grew close very quickly.

“Good. I’ve been really good. That break for the All Star game was nice. Did you go to watch it?” He asked, knowing how I was with the team.

“No, I went with Val to watch Ilari play in the AHL game though.”

“Ah yes. He scored, didn’t he?” I nodded, a big grin on my face.

“Yes, it was awesome!” He smiled at my excitement.

“So is that all, did you guys just use the rest of the time to relax?”

“Yeah. Well, kind of. Val was a bit stressed for a few days.”

“Why is that?”

“Because he kept planning to propose to me and didn’t know when to do it.”

“Are you guys engaged?!” He demanded, looking down at my hand, which I held up for him.

“Yes!” I said excitedly and he whistled at the ring on my finger.

“That’s a nice ring. Congratulations, I’m happy for you guys.”

“Hey you guys. Mind if I steal Mickey for a minute?” We turned to see one of the interns, looking at us expectantly.

“Yeah, sure. I have to set up the camera and mics anyway.”

-

I was lying in bed when the phone rang. I groaned loudly, rolling over as I contemplated just letting it ring. Upon deciding to do just that, I snuggled back in bed. It had been a long day and now the only thing I was waiting for was Val to come to bed.

Seconds after my phone quit ringing, it started up again. This time I got up, because I figured if someone was that adamant, it must be important.

“Hello?” I asked, leaning on the kitchen counter as I did so, my eyes drooping slightly.

Amy? It’s mom.

“Okay. What do you need?”

Is there anything you feel the need to tell me?” I frowned at the question as I rubbed at my eyes, fighting to stay awake.

“Mom, I’m so tired right now…I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I’ll give you a clue. Look down at your left hand.” I frowned at this as I glanced down at my hand before the realization hit me.

“Oh shit,” I mumbled. I had totally forgotten to call my mom and tell her about the engagement. “How did you find out?”

Mickey Redmond, and I quote, ‘Valtteri Filppula has been playing a sensation game tonight. Maybe it’s because the fact that he’s recently become engaged to his longtime girlfriend Amy.’” I groaned at this.

“I’m sorry Mama. I meant to call you, I guess I just got distracted…”

Well, would you mind coming over tomorrow and we can talk about this more?” I sighed as I glanced over at the calendar.

“What day is tomorrow?” I asked.

Wow, you really are tired, huh?

“You have no idea…”

Okay, I’ll just call you. If you’re not busy, you can stop by, sound good?

“Sounds good Mom. But now I’m going to have to say goodbye so I can go to bed. Love you.”