Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XVII

I let out a groan as I threw my favorite pair of jeans into the closet. Frowning I grabbed a new pair that I had to buy the other day. I didn’t think for being thirteen weeks I’d already have a bump. Jack was playing away games this month so I decided to stay in Ann Arbor. I pulled on the pants then my University of Michigan hoodie as I made my way into the living room.

“Let’s look at how the Kings are doing on their road trip, now they play Pittsburg Thursday night so hopefully the winning streak they have going keeps going.”

“You know the rumor going around the NHL right now is Jack Johnson is going to be related, by marriage of course, to Valtteri Filppula of the Detroit Red Wings. It was announced last week after the Wings first game back after the ASG weekend that Filppula was engaged to his long time girlfriend Amy.”


I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at the TV not believing what I was hearing. Grabbing the remote I turned up the volume.

“I wonder how it is at family dinners or even games seeing as their girl friends are identical twins.”

“Talk about sibling rivalry.”


Shaking my head, I turned the TV off and grabbed my bag then Chester’s leash. I got us into the car and headed off to Warren to stay with my mom for a couple of days. When I got there about an hour later I walked into my mom’s house letting Chester run to the back door.

“Well hello Chester, do you gotta go potty?” I heard my mom ask. I just set my bag down as she let him out. “How was the drive honey?”

“Nothing compared to LA ma,” I told her as I ran my hand through my hair.

“So do you want some coffee?” She asked walking into the kitchen.

“Um, no thanks I promised Jack I’d lay off the coffee.” My mom looked over at me with her eye brows raised.

“Tea then?”

“Yeah teas good . . .” I leaned against the counter and rubbed my forehead. “Mom, is there something I’m not being told?”

“What do you mean sweetheart?” She turned and looked at me. “Oh honey . . .”

“It’s nice to find out from the guys on NHL Overtime that my sister, none the less my twin, is engaged.” I crossed my arms over my chest as she poured the hot water into a mug.

“Well she’s been busy—”

“Mom don’t feed me that bull, it takes five seconds to send a text. Plus it happened a week and a half ago!”

“Okay I know honey, she didn’t tell me either. I had to hear it from the game announcer. Here take your tea,” I grabbed the mug from her taking a sip. “And go get some sleep, it’s late and I know you’re probably tired.” I just nodded and walked downstairs to my room. I set the mug on my night stand table and laid on the bed. I rolled my shirt up and stared down at the small bump. I glanced over at phone when the screen light up.

“Hey babe,”

“You okay?”

“Not really . . .” I mumbled as I put the phone on speaker and rested it on my stomach.

“Are you alright? The baby?” I could hear someone in the background gasp. “Well, Sid knows now,” Jack chuckled.

“Did you know Val proposed to Amy?”

“I saw it on Overtime . . . oh shit that’s what your upset about, she didn’t tell you?”

“Nope not even a lousy text.”

“Well, just forget about it, maybe she was waiting till she saw you in person and Sid what, okay Sid’s already looking for stuff for the baby—No she’s only thirteen weeks,” I rolled my eyes at their antics.

“Babe I’m gonna go to bed I’m tired.”

“Okay, I’ll call you tomorrow, love you.”

“Love you too,”

-

I could hear voices talking upstairs. I rolled my eyes knowing that it was probably Amy over for lunch or something. I walked up the stairs to see her and my mom on the couch talking. I just ignored them and went into the kitchen.

“I’m making wings for lunch Ems,”

“Okay, I’m just going to have an apple.” I told her as I grabbed a knife to cut one up. “Do you have peanut butter, or Nutella?”

“Yes I do,” She opened the cabinet and grabbed the Nutella. “Here . . .”

“Thanks ma,” I continued to cut up the apple. “So Amy, that’s a pretty little rock on your finger.” I looked up giving her smirk as I bit into the apple.

“Mom told me,” Our mother glanced at us and threw her hands up before leaving the room. “So did you just wake up?”

“No, I was talking to Jack before he went to practice.” She just crossed her arms over her chest. “So he asked over the break?”

“Yes,”

“Hmm, thanks for telling me, you know, your twin.” She just rolled her eyes as I finished my apple. “Ma did you turn the heat on?”

“It’s only at sixty five hun!” Groaning I started to pull my hoodie over my head when I heard Amy gasp.

“Holy shit . . .” I dropped the hoodie and just stared at her. “Holy mother—MA!”

“What, what is it?” She asked running into the kitchen. Amy just stood there pointing at my stomach. “What I can’t read minds here.”

“She’s—Jack . . .” Amy stuttered out.

“What?”

“. . . I’m pregnant?”