Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XLVI

“So where the hell were you after game 4?” I asked Justin as he sat down at the kitchen table.

“What do you mean…?” He asked, looking up at me.

“Didn’t you hear about what happened with Demers?” I asked and he made an o with his mouth.

“Oh yeah, that. I was busy getting interviewed. Otherwise you know I would have been in his face quicker than Todd,” He said, taking a sip of the coffee mug I had given him.

“I don’t know, Todd was pretty quick.”

“That’s partially cause he almost views you as a daughter…” I cocked an eyebrow.

“A daughter?”

“Well…a daughter he’s friends with. I don’t know. You’re young to him though.”

“Right. God, when I think about it, a lot of you guys were missing. You, Darren, Hank…Drew! I gotta yell at him for that…” Justin chuckled as he shook his head.

“You’re such a weirdo sometimes.”

“As if you aren’t? At least I don’t dump blue slurpees on you,” I said offhandedly and looked away.

“Jesus Christ, you still remember the color of it?!” He demanded and I laughed.

“Yeah, because that almost ruined my chances at my first big internship!”

“But it didn’t! And I helped you out, so I win. And plus, if that hadn’t happened, you wouldn’t have met Val and wouldn’t have a fiancée right now.”

“Yeah…but you still owe me for not being there when Demers was saying shit,” I mumbled.

“Okay. Sure, I owe you. Figure out what you want and it’s yours.” I laughed at his acceptance of owing me without much arguing. “Where are Val and Emily anyway?”

Right as he asked that, we heard the front door open.

“We’re back!” Emily called and I heard her make her way towards the spare bedroom that had been turned into her room for the time being.

“Where did they go?” Justin asked. I was about to answer when we heard a deep growl.

“Oh shit!” I felt my eyes widen as I jumped up the same time Justin jumped to see what was growling at him. I rushed over to Harley, grabbing her so I could hold her back in case she lunged at Justin while I tried to calm her down.

“…why is she growling at me?” Justin asked, frozen in his spot.

“She doesn’t like men. We have to get her used to them, she was abused before we adopted her. And apparently you’re more intimidating than Todd…”

“I’m not gunna lie Amy, she’s scary.”

“When she’s like this, yeah,” I said as she tried to more closer to Justin, still growling. “Val!!”

“What?” He asked, walking into the kitchen. “Oh shit.”

“Little help here?” I asked, seeing as Val could calm Harley down quicker than I could usually.

-

“I’m sorry, but this sucks,” Emily muttered as we sat waiting for the third period to start. Emily was stretched out as well as she could be and I was hunched over, elbows on my knees and my chin in my hands. The game had been score-less the first two periods. While it seemed like the Wings had come back against all odds in game 4, it seemed like they were fading a bit now that it was game 6. I kept feeling my nerves kick up, not wanting to be out of the playoffs just yet. We only had to win tonight, that was all I cared about at the moment.

“What happened to the team we know?” I mumbled, turning to look at Emily. She just shrugged.

“I don’t know. Do we need to break into the locker room and knock some sense into them?” At this I heard someone behind us snicker. I glanced out of the corner of my eye to see it was someone in a Thornton jersey. I rolled my eyes and returned my gaze to the Hockeytown logo that graced center ice.

“At this rate, we might have to,” I said, checking the time to see that there was less than a minute left before the third period started.

-

“I’m getting really impatient now…And I have to pee…” Emily complained as the period was almost halfway over and the Wings were down one.

“Then go to the bathroom,” I said, most of my attention focused on the puck.

“No, I refuse to miss seeing someone tie it up. There is no way the Wings are going to get kicked out of the playoffs by a guy with a pedo mustache…” I laughed and glanced at Emily to see she had crossed her arms over her chest.

“Val has the puck,” I told her and saw her focus on him out of the corner of my eye.

“Holy shit, come on Val! You need to score right now!” Emily yelled at him and I laughed. He got deep into the zone before stopping and letting a Shark go flying past him before passing the puck to Nik, who was waiting close to the blue line. Nik raised his stick and slapped the puck towards the net. Emily and I jumped up as we heard the buzzer go off.

“Hell yes! Who was that Nik? Or was it tipped in?” Emily exclaimed as she waved her towel around.

“I think it was Hank,” I said and watched as they celebrated around him. “That’s my Swede!” I yelled, waving my towel around with the rest of the crowd.

“See, that’s why I didn’t want to go to the bathroom,” Emily pointed out and the crowd calmed down and we took our seats.

“Do you want to go now?” I asked, watching the teams lineup for a faceoff.

“Hell no, now I’m all excited and need to see who is going to win this game!” I grinned as I turned back to the game.

Not even two minutes later, I watched the Sharks lose control of the puck. Couture was going to center ice when Pavel got in his way and caused him to lose the puck.

“Get the puck Val!” Emily yelled and we watched happily as he did what he was supposed to before going into the Sharks territory. He quickly passed the puck to Pavel before diving in between two Sharks in order to get near the net. Pav passed the puck to Val and he tipped it in.

“Hell yes!” I screamed, jumping up again, waving my towel around wildly as I jumped around, still cheering for my fiancée.

“God I’m glad I didn’t go to the bathroom,” Emily exclaimed, just as excited as I was. We watched as Val made his way to the bench, throwing me a wink before taking his seat. “You guys need to stop being all cute and stuff…”

“Shut up. So…think they’re going to pull Nemo at the end?” I asked.

“Who knows? Actually, yeah, probably. That is, if no one scores by then.”

Emily turned to look back to the ice as some Sharks skated past and I followed suit. I frowned a little when I watched Demers pass by, glaring at us. Emily laughed and I turned to look at her to see she was flipping him off. I joined in her laughter before noticing Babcock giving me a confused look, causing me to look down.

We watched as the minutes ticked down. I watched as the puck was sent deep into Wings territory. The Sharks were taking shots on Jimmy, who was making every save flawlessly. Out of the corner of my eyes I saw movement. When I turned I realized that Niemi was going to the bench for an extra player.

There was a little under two minutes left when someone sent the puck in deep into Sharks territory. It missed the net and a Shark was quick to recover it. I watched as he tried to pass it but Darren intercepted it.

“Empty net Darren! Come on!” I yelled to him and watched as he took the shot, sending it right into the net.

“YESSSSSSSS!” Emily and I cheered together, bouncing around, once again. I laughed as I watched Todd grab Justin in a headlock in celebration right as Emily threw her arms around me in a hug.

“They just went from down three games to force a game seven! This is amazing!” She yelled at me and I grinned.

“I know!!”