Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XLIX

I laid with my right arm propped under my head as Jack held my left hand. The doctor moved the wand over my stomach and messed with the computer. I frowned; looking over at Jack when out doctor didn’t speak as she looked over the computer.

“Is there something wrong?” Jack asked, his grip tightening on my hand.

“Nothing is wrong with the baby. I was checking and rechecking the measurements.” She said still looking at the screen. Seeing that it was nearly mid June, I still had eight more weeks to go.

“What does that mean?” I asked confused.

“Well if you look here,” She pointed to the screen. “His head size is larger than the average size for the week you’re listed at. But it’s the same size as the baby two weeks ahead.”

“So you’re saying that I’m actually thirty three weeks along, not thirty one?”

“I believe so because also his spine measurement and how he’s developing.” I looked over at Jack to see he was sitting very still. “So if you’ll let me, I want to check to see if you’ve dilated or effaced any.” I nodded then waited as she wiped the gel off my belly. I changed to check what was going on. “Well you’re at one centimeter but not effaced any, which usually comes around this time. Have you had any Braxton Hicks?” She asked once she was done checking me.

“Not that I’ve noticed.” I answered as I sat up.

“Okay, that’s good. Just keep an eye on what your body is doing okay? I’m going to put your due date around July twenty fifth okay?”

“Alright then.”

“Okay so I’ll see you in a few weeks then.” She left the room so I could put my bottoms back on. I sighed and looked over at Jack to see him rubbing his face. This was not what we expected to hear.

-

I smoothed the fabric of my dress for Amy and Val’s wedding. Her other brides maids were wearing strapless dresses that stopped above their knees. So we had found a strapless one for me that stopped above my knees. It bunch around my chest but was loose fitting around the belly so I didn’t have to worry about adjusting it. The lady in charge of the fitting smiled as she looked over the dress.

“Okay honey, all done.”

“So I can take it home?” I questioned looking at her in the mirror.

“Yes you can. Once you change out of it we’ll put it in the bag and it’s all yours.” I nodded and had her help me unzip it. “So when are you due?”

“My date just got moved up to July twenty fifth.” The lady’s eyes widened.

“Isn’t your sister’s wedding on the eleventh?”

“Yep,” She just whistled and helped me out of it. I quickly changed back into my shorts and loose fitting tank top. Jack gave me a smile as I walked out of the fitting room with the dress bag in hand.

“We’re meeting Val and Amy at Pegasus right?” Jack asked once we got into the car.

“Yep, she just texted me saying they’re already there.”

-

I rubbed my stomach as Amy and I watched Val and Jack sign things and take photos with people. She looked over at me and rolled her eyes as she took a sip of her drink.

“So how’d the appointment go?” I bit my lip knowing Amy would get a little worried when I tell her they upped my due date. “Em?”

“Well we found something out,”

“Please tell me it’s not twins.” I just laughed and shook my head as Jack and Val finally sat down next to us.

“What about twins?” Val asked as the waiter set down our plates of food.

“Nothing but what’d you find out?” I glanced over at Jack and he just shrugged while taking a bite of his food.

“They upped my due date,” I told them. Both of them froze with their eyes wide.

“To when?” Val asked seeing as Amy was still staring at me.

“July twenty fifth and I’m already dilated one centimeter.” I told them as I started to eat my food.

“So that means . . .?”

“Nothing, she could walk around at three centimeters for weeks and nothing happen.” Jack reassured her. “Don’t stress about it okay? Em will just take things easy over the next few weeks.”

“So no going Bridezilla?” Amy joked making me roll my eyes.

“You can, just not on me.” I told her with a smirk. “And I got my dress today so I’m set. We just need to finish setting up how the church will be and you two need to finalize on what type of cake.”

“Why didn’t you become a wedding planner?” Val asked making Amy laugh. “What? I say something?”

“You saw what she said to Demers, she’d be like that with the brides.” Amy told him. “Just be happy she’s sticking to fashion.” Val went to say something but Amy held her hand up. “And no, never bridal fashion.” We all just sat there in silence as we ate our food.

“So . . . what are you doing for your bachelor party Val?”