Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LXI

I brushed hair out of my face as I folded the laundry while Val was getting back to training after taking a couple days off. Once I was finished, I went back into the living room where Amy was sitting on the couch, Junior was in a bouncer seat sleeping. I sat on her left, letting her rest her head on my shoulder.

“How did I not know I was pregnant?” She asked quietly.

“I didn’t find out till I was around seven, eight weeks, probably even later since they upped his due date.” I comforted. “These things happen, I know it sucks. But I think if you had known and you lost it, it’d be a lot harder.”

“Probably . . .”

“Just think of it this way, pregnancy isn’t a onetime thing.” I told as I glanced down at her.

“You better not be pregnant again,”

“I haven’t even thought about having sex with Jack since we did . . . way back in July.”

“Poor Jack,” I snorted and shook my head.

“We’re too tired to even be thinking about that.” As if he knew, Junior started to let out a cry. “And they seem to interrupt everything.” I told her as I got up and picked him up. Checking his diaper, I sent out a silent thank you.

“He hungry or just fussy?”

“Colic,” I muttered sitting back down. “Where’s Harley?” I asked after not spotting the dog.

“Todd’s watching her for us until Val’s bruising is gone.” Amy looked around the room quietly.

“Can you hold Junior for a second?” She nodded, easing him on to her lap so he didn’t hit any of her ribs. I walked to where my purse was and pulled my phone out and texted Todd.

-

I smiled as Amy snuggled with Harley on her and Val’s bed as they took a nap.

“That’s a smile I haven’t seen in awhile.” Val told me, not taking his eyes off of Amy.

“She’s down about losing the baby Val,”

“Even though she kept saying to wait?” I nodded. “I’m confused.”

“It’s a girl thing. We say we don’t want stuff until down the road but when we see a girl friend or a cousin, our sister, get something we aren’t, we want it.” I explained to him.

“So you wanting to wait to get married . . .?” Val asked me. I just nodded again. “No wonder men can’t figure out women.” He sighed, running his hands through his hair. “I admit, I am sad too,”

“I know bubba,” I mumbled resting my head against his arm. “When she’s better you guys can try again.”

“What if she doesn’t want to?”

“She’ll want to.”

“Right,” I just rolled my eyes and pushed him into the room. “What?”

“I’m going to make dinner, so go shower and take a nap, okay?”

“You’ll be fine?” Val asked, referring to me watching my son.

“Yes, now go.” He smiled and walked to their master bath. On my way back to the kitchen, I checked on Junior, glad that he was still sleeping so I could work on dinner. I sighed, rubbing my face, hoping what I told Val was right.